Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

sick gramma

More
09 Jul 2008 21:57 - 09 Jul 2008 22:15 #1 by lampeye (lampeye)
hi everyone,
i got this fish last week, its been in qt since purchased a week ago but in the last 3 days has developed some growths on tail and possibly face. have a look at the close up of the tail. Are u familiar with this maladie? is it treatable with formalin or is it viral? thanks in advance for your advice. Ive seen some threads on lymph but its hard to see if its the saem thing. also it seems to be spreading quite quickly
fran

lampeye
Last edit: 09 Jul 2008 22:15 by lampeye (lampeye).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
09 Jul 2008 22:17 #2 by Seany (Sean Phelan)
Replied by Seany (Sean Phelan) on topic Re:sick gramma
Fran,

Looks like Lymph to me. I read that Royal Gramma's are the \"Canary in the mine\" in marine tanks so to speak. Hope you get Some good advice soon.

Seany

More
12 Jul 2008 19:55 #3 by lampeye (lampeye)
Replied by lampeye (lampeye) on topic Re:sick gramma
got some good advice off father jack (sean). he said it was 2 different ailments on the tail and the fins...lymph on fins and maybe fin rot on the tail. I started a course of malahite green/formalin and then was advised elsewhere to try a fw dip.
I did a 5 min freshwater dip and the tail is now perfect but the fins still have the growth. i am continuing the malahite green/formalin treatment to be on the safe side. he is otherwise happy and eating well. the freshwater dip freaked him out though...not during the dip, he was very passive and just sat at the bottom for that but as soon as i put him back in the tank he went nuts!
I'll keep yis posted
fran

lampeye

More
17 Jul 2008 11:17 #4 by lampeye (lampeye)
little update...the \"lymph\" (if thats what it was) is now gone from the fins since a few days, hopefully thats the last of it. i was advised (by fr.jack) to raise the temp to 27 C for a few weeks. whether it was this or the medication or the dip im not sure but so far so good. he looks 100 healthy/happy so fingers crossed.

lampeye

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Jul 2008 13:34 #5 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re:sick gramma
Hi Fran,

Glad to hear this little creature is feeling better. Well done on treating him back to good health!

Do we know what is 'lymph' caused by ? Is it solely a marine illness or can it affect freshwater fish too?

Thanks.

ValerieR

More
17 Jul 2008 14:30 #6 by lampeye (lampeye)
fr jack said it is from being kept in cooler temps than the fish are used to, usually in the wholesalers (feel free to join in this thread jack!). not sure if freshwater fish get it.

lampeye

More
17 Jul 2008 22:12 #7 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Some fresh water fish can get it. Mainly Cichlids and Gouramis. It dosent effect catfish or Barbs for some reason. Rarely fatal in fresh water fish.
It mostly only effects salt water fish.

Good to see it's back to heath fran.

More
18 Jul 2008 17:34 #8 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Yeh, generally from shipping stress, low temp. etc, marine angels get it alot, usually harmless and normally goes

More
19 Jul 2008 21:47 #9 by lampeye (lampeye)
here he is now....thanks a mill to frjack/sean connolly for all his help

lampeye

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds