Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

bicolor blenny diet

More
01 Sep 2008 09:02 #1 by mirko (Mirko Bianco)
Hi guys,

I bought a bicolor blenny saturday and I was looking for info on internet, but I'm lost.
some sites say it is an algae eater and it is difficult to take care of, others that it is a voracius onnivore and eats nearly everything, anytime.

what's the story?

btw he is doing fine. he found his preferred spot and he is patrolling his small rock.

Ciao
Mirko

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2008 10:51 #2 by lampeye (lampeye)
try and get him eating nori/marine algae asap. they are def primarily herbivores, and while they may eat mysis etc this wont sustain them. herbivores need to eat frequently or graze . if you have loads of micro algae growing or can get him on the dried seaweed you should be ok.

lampeye

More
01 Sep 2008 10:55 #3 by mirko (Mirko Bianco)
lampeye wrote:

try and get him eating nori/marine algae asap. they are def primarily herbivores, and while they may eat mysis etc this wont sustain them. herbivores need to eat frequently or graze . if you have loads of micro algae growing or can get him on the dried seaweed you should be ok.

cheers,
I'll go the natural shop near my office on lunch time to see if they have nori algae, if not I'll check on tesco, do you think tesco in jervis has it?
do I have to look at it at the exotic food shelf?

Ciao
Mirko

More
01 Sep 2008 11:55 #4 by lampeye (lampeye)
no idea as ive never bought it in tesco. i got mine in the sushi bar behind brown thomas. im sure the asian shop at the jervis luas stop sells it.

lampeye

More
01 Sep 2008 11:58 #5 by mirko (Mirko Bianco)
lampeye wrote:

no idea as ive never bought it in tesco. i got mine in the sushi bar behind brown thomas. im sure the asian shop at the jervis luas stop sells it.

cool, I work in Liffey street.
I'm near.

Ciao
Mirko

More
01 Sep 2008 13:19 #6 by mirko (Mirko Bianco)
done it!
I'll let you know.

how much for a blenny?
is 1/2 a square inch too much?

btw this morning I saw a pretty big poo rolling over the sand and I suppose \"the producer\" is the blenny... as nobody else in the tank would manage to generate something as big... :laugh:

do you think I am correct?

Ciao
Mirko

More
01 Sep 2008 18:04 #7 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Depends,what other fish have you in the tank?
G

More
01 Sep 2008 18:05 #8 by lampeye (lampeye)
yes, vegitarians always eat more/shit more. try a square inch on a clip or jammed between two rocks. remove the next day. keep a close eye to see if he eats any.

lampeye

More
01 Sep 2008 18:15 #9 by mirko (Mirko Bianco)
Fishowner wrote:

Depends,what other fish have you in the tank?
G

just him.

Ciao
Mirko

More
02 Sep 2008 08:05 #10 by mirko (Mirko Bianco)
Hi guys,
back again.

I watched the little fella yesterday evening and this is his behaviour.

he was going to nipple from rocks and a bit also from the nori algae I put near his \"home\" but I noticed that he also jumps back and forth from his holes to catch everything small that passes near.

does it mean that I should provide him with a little of artemia too?

apart from that he is less shy day after day, thank god...

Ciao
Mirko

More
02 Sep 2008 12:55 - 02 Sep 2008 12:57 #11 by newrossman (newrossman)
Hi,

The will graze and also pick for water anything that looks tasty, Posts are correct the pick alot and need food available all the time or a mature tank.
\"Herbivore - Feeds on algae, provide a varied diet that includes frozen preparations for herbivores. Its diet can be supplemented with vegetable matter, including frozen and dried foods containing marine and blue-green algae.\"
www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=16&...4&articleid=1664
I use those sinking tablets for fresh water plecs, as a backup the drop to sand and it takes hours for them to breakup and the little bits are perfect for small fish. But Nori or natual would be best

Reef 55 Gallons
Last edit: 02 Sep 2008 12:57 by newrossman (newrossman).

More
02 Sep 2008 12:59 #12 by mirko (Mirko Bianco)
the problem with the nori is that an 1/2 inch becomes a square feet the morning later...

do you think it is better to crunch it and leave the pieces to float?

Ciao
Mirko

Time to create page: 0.053 seconds