Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

What to feed my Lionfish

More
28 Oct 2008 11:34 #1 by Zulu (Vinny Keane)
Hummm, in a ill taught out moment of hungover impulse buying, I arrived home with a Lion fish (fuzzy dwarf) for my marine tank.

It's a beautiful fish, and I introduced it with the lights out yesterday evening, and all seemed fine this morning. The Lion fish is one of the smallest fish in the tank (it's about 5cm long), so I'm not too concerned with it eating my stock*. But I'm keeping an eye on him.

However, as with all impulse buys, this morning I'm kinda regretting it. I'm not regretting the fish - it's beautiful, I am however regretting my total lack of preparation for it, and hopefully this is where you guys can help me.

Normally I feed frozen brien shrimp and spulga (sp?) algae which goes down well, but I understand the Lion fish eats live food, but can be encouraged to eat frozen.

How do I encourage he to eat frozen food? Or can I?
Also, as it's poisonous, is there any precautions I should take in case of someone getting stung? Not that it's likely, but sometimes I need to get my hands wet to clean the tank.

Also, while I have you, I'm of the opinion that I'm at my stock limit now, but I would love one big fish (15-20cm) is that possible with my stock/tank size?

Thanks a million for reading!

*Current stock in a 220L tank:
2 x cleaner shrimp (6/7cm)
2 x clown fish (5cm)
1 x yellow tang (8cm)
3 x fire fish (4cm) (my only real concern)
1 x Banggai Cardinal (7cm)
6 x Blue damsel (5-7cm)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
28 Oct 2008 11:42 #2 by Zulu (Vinny Keane)
Just read up on the sting aspect. It'd appear that HOT water is the key. Hot water and a doctor.

More
28 Oct 2008 12:49 #3 by lampeye (lampeye)
dont know anything about the lionfish :http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+36+227&pcatid=227
but you look really overstocked already to me.....what filtration are you using?

lampeye

More
28 Oct 2008 13:56 #4 by stevieg (ALAN FLYNN)
watch your shrimps around them has been known to pick them off
also smaller fish in the tank if they get hungry

More
28 Oct 2008 14:02 #5 by Zulu (Vinny Keane)
By way of filtration - I have the standard jewel fitted filtration coupled with live rock and a protein skimmer.
I test my water reg and it's in great condition. Tank appears to be very roomy, but I understand that's no real indicator.

• john gannon (john gannon)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
28 Oct 2008 20:30 #6 by john gannon (john gannon)
Replied by john gannon (john gannon) on topic Re:What to feed my Lionfish
i fed my lionfish[his choice not mine]
pair of clown fish [xmas day ,kids bawling]
mandarin goby
algae blennies
fire fish
plenty of damsels and many more but finally he bit of more than he could chew and chocked on a large bengai,the kids and wife were delighted but i was sad to see it go as the are a beutiful fish .i had no problem feeding mine frozen food,as for the stings i was lucky as mine never bothered me and i was once told by platty to rub marmite on the sting .i was\drunk when he told me this so it couldve been something completly different.
as for stocking do you also keep corals
john

More
28 Oct 2008 21:26 #7 by Zulu (Vinny Keane)
john gannon wrote:

i had no problem feeding mine frozen food,as for the stings...
as for stocking do you also keep corals
john

Cheers for that John.
He didn't eat any of the frozen shrimp today. Did yours go straight for it, of did he need to get really hungry first? Any tips to encourage him to eat the frozen shrimp??

On the stings front, I'm reading to immerse the wound in hot hot water.

I don't have any coral at all at the moment. Might look towards coral in the future, but I don't think I have the right lights.

• john gannon (john gannon)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
28 Oct 2008 22:43 #8 by john gannon (john gannon)
Replied by john gannon (john gannon) on topic Re:What to feed my Lionfish
no not straight away but most fish will take some time to settle in so i wouldnt worry just yet ,you could also try lance fish just defrost one a little tank water and wiggle it about a little and see if he goes for it.the reason i asked about the corals is for a fish and live rock only system you can stock a little heavier than a full reef system.if you are eventually add coral i wouldnt add any more fish
john

More
29 Oct 2008 00:02 #9 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
john gannon wrote:

i was once told by platty to rub marmite on the sting .i was\drunk when he told me this so it couldve been something completly different.
john

:laugh: You see what happens when you talk fish until after 6am. You must have been craving a marmite sandwich. It was BBQ sauce.:laugh:
There is an ingredient in some BBQ sauce but for the life of me i cant remember what it is. The name will probably pop in to my head at 4am and wake me. If it dose i will let you know.
Hot water will do the trick. But dont burn yourself. If i remember correctly about 50c will do it.

More
03 Nov 2008 14:27 #10 by Zulu (Vinny Keane)
He has my heart broken...
I have the lion fish a week today. On Friday I tried feeding it Moysen (sp?) but he wasn't biting.
On Saturday, I went out and bought 3 mollys (small ones). They lasted the day in the tank (after much harassment from the damsel fish, however the lionfish didn't go near them, or their corpses which where to be found the next morning near the pumps.

Yesterday I got lance fish (frozen) and spent much of the day trying different methods to get him to eat it (wiggled it by hand in front of him, followed him around the tank with it, placed it between rocks in the current so it wiggled itself with out my hand in the way). Nothing.

I'm very worried now as it's been a week, so he must be running on empty.

Apart from the hunger strike he seems to be very happy and healthy. He appears in great health. He hunts around at his own pace and appears to have settled right in.

Please help - I really don't want to loose him. :(

...unless he's getting sneaky take outs when I'm not there???

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 Nov 2008 15:30 #11 by 2poc (2poc)
Replied by 2poc (2poc) on topic Re:What to feed my Lionfish
Odd that he didn't go for the live food.
I think the key to buying oddball fish like this is to ask them to feed them in the LFS before buying them.
Then you can see if & how well they are feeding before you purchase.

Worrying as it is, fish can go without food for much longer than a week.
If I were you I would persevere with the lancefish. Tie one onto some fishing line & dangle it about in front
of him to try & induce him to eat it out of instinct.

More
04 Nov 2008 19:13 #12 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
The brackish pond with a concrete pavemant nearest to the Blackrock dart track is full of 1.5cm-2cm salt water bottom dwelling shrimp, just pass a net across the flat bottom (1cm of the bottom)of this concrete pond its full of them. If you get caught saying your are doing a theise on the life history of gamma shrimpnicki;)

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds