Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

I'M STARTING MY 260L FISH TANK

More
22 Feb 2009 08:57 #1 by giunceris (gintaras barbsys)
HI, CAN YOU HELP ME, IN TUESDAY I'M GETTING MY 260L FISH TANK!I'M GETTING HEATER 200W, EXTERNAL FILTER Fluval 405 Canister, PROTEIN SKIMER, AIR PUMP TETRA TEC APS 300, 2 T5 MARINE LIGTHS!

I KNOW THAT I NEED LIVE ROCK, SALD AND SEND!
CAN YUO HELP ME AND SAY WHAT I NEED MORE?HOW MANY KG I NEED LIVE ROKC,HOW MANY KG I NEED OF SEND?IS alright 2 t5 marine lights,or need more? WHAT MORE EQUPMENTS I NEED?
HOW TO START?
I REALLY NEED HELP!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2009 10:49 #2 by paulbohs (Paul Doyle)
where are you based? I'm going to be honest. You really need a book. I have about 15-20 marine books. your welcome to borrow one if your near athboy co meath.

When you get your tank, fill it with water. then turn on the heater and the powerhead and add the salt. Check it after 24 hours that the salinity is 1.024-1.026. If not adjust how much water is in there or add more salt. Check again in 24 hours. Once this is right you can add the Live rock.

I would put ideally 32kg of live rock in your tank. 1 box is 20kg and would be a great start. 20kg of live rock will cost 375 euro in all good fish shops. Thats including thye discount I was able to get. Keep the live rock away from the glass.

1-2 buckets of live sand will be loads. A bucket is 35 euro and you will get a 10 - 15% discount off this. Get one and see if you like it. Put the sand in last as you need your rockwork to be stable.

The lights should be fine, what wattage are they?

More
22 Feb 2009 11:00 #3 by giunceris (gintaras barbsys)
i'm from kanturk,co. cork!what you mean powerhead?is it wave maker?

More
22 Feb 2009 11:04 #4 by giunceris (gintaras barbsys)
after what time you can put in tank live stock(crabs,srimps,fish and corals)
will be nice to get some books to learn something,because it is firs my tank!:)

More
22 Feb 2009 18:21 - 22 Feb 2009 18:22 #5 by Seany (Sean Phelan)

because it is first my tank!

Have you kept any fish before? Coldwater / Tropical. Might be better to build up some experience before going marine. It is better to drive a ford before jumping straight into a Ferrari!!!

As previously posted,

"Do plenty of research on marine fishkeeping. There are plently of good books out there to point you in the right direction. Speak to the Guys/Gals in the LFS and visit a few websites.

Marinefish/Inverts as does all aquatic life, deserve to be cared for as would any pet. Armed with the knowledge required, you will enjoy your journey, with less headaches and provide a suitable habitat for your charges."

Wishing you all the best in your project. Any help you require will most definitely be available through this forum.

Kind regards

Seany
Last edit: 22 Feb 2009 18:22 by Seany (Sean Phelan). Reason: Spelling

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds