Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

What setup for common clowns

More
17 Mar 2009 18:54 #1 by Mick0075 (Michael OSullivan)
Well folks, at last I have decided to go tropical marine, I know it probably sounds a little boring but all I want is a common clown setup.
I really want to do it right though, I would like an anenomy which I suppose will need serious lighting and stable conditions which will dictate the size of the tank(but I don't know what size this would b) I would like a protine skimmer live rock and maybe some corals. It probably sounds a lot for two clowns but they are what I always wanted. I also want to try to breed them.
What would people suggest or think
I won't be setting this up until July so loads of time to do my homework on this !
Thanks in advance

Mick

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 Mar 2009 19:10 #2 by lampeye (lampeye)
I keep clowns but no anenome, so cant help there. but at a guess i'd say you'll need at least a 240 litre tank, maybe more. seany keeps both so he might be able to give you advise. in the meantime have a look here : www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=36

lampeye

More
17 Mar 2009 20:02 #3 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
Mick i know f all about marine but best of luck with your new adventure, be interesting if you start a thread about your setup, experience etc. it will make me very jealous for one:angry: :angry: but hopefully one day i will make the move myself:) :)

Goodluck again

GB

More
17 Mar 2009 23:24 #4 by newrossman (newrossman)
Hi,

Just go Fish Only with Live Rock or FWLR as this is the basic and simple way to start.

You dont need to go mad on lights (for now)
Once you have a good filter (external/Skimmer) you can get away with not as much live rock at 1st
If you want clowns then something from a 24" to 36" basic setup is fine, some soft coral will allow the clowns to host.
Save your money with regards Nems as the need a mature full reef setup (Lots of lights/Flow/Filter)

Clowns will breed in a basic setup and a clay flower pot!

Better to start slow and do well than jump in and give up in 6 months in disgust.

Only bad things happen fast in marine tanks.

To be honest I'd get a cheapish nano over 40 Ltrs and this will give you enough room for some fish and even LPS depends on lights, and go with 1KG of LR per 10 Ltrs and at least 10x water flow.

Good Luck plenty of help here and else wear I love www.talkingreef.com for the podcasts lots of info or www.reefvideos.com for guess what! :P

Reef 55 Gallons

More
17 Mar 2009 23:55 #5 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Mick have a read here. A lot of this was covered on the forum many moons ago.
www.irishfishkeepers.com/cms/component/o...ew/catid,10/id,4171/

More
18 Mar 2009 16:24 #6 by Mick0075 (Michael OSullivan)
Ok cool I might try if it is not too much of a contradiction a large nano setup !
I might forget about the nem for the moment.

What tanks could people suggest, don't know if it exist but one with a halide light would be ideal ! Live rock sounds brill and some small corals with live sand.

GB I might try and take a few pictures and do a small thread as I go along I think that would be fun.

Thanks for imput so far those links were very informative

Mick

More
19 Jun 2009 20:53 #7 by sincgar (Feargal Costello)
Mick,
Not sure if you made the jump to marine but some of the sponsors have a good deal right now. I am very tempted and trying to get the kids to do some persuading/blackmail for me!!!!
They get nemo i get a tank!!

Feargal

More
20 Jun 2009 15:41 #8 by seanmchugh (Sean Mc Hugh)
Started a Marine tank in April. And you really Have to take it slow!! I had done all the work and still had things dying on me left right and centre!!! Get a nano tank. There is some great deals to be had Including a "nemo pack" I have a 80L tank and its that lovely size of not to small and not to big and there is loads of room for my 2nemo and friends. Just take things slow very very very slow. Dont even add fish into the tank for at least 3 weeks. As for a anenome I personally dont want one they are far too much work and the clowns might not even take to it. But a 80L tank is more then enough room for one.

More
22 Jun 2009 12:49 - 22 Jun 2009 12:50 #9 by Seany (Sean Phelan)
Mick,

If its just clowns, a bit of live rock and a few easy to keep softies, go for it.
Don't even consider an anemone until,
a. Your system is stable enough to maintain it
b. Your lighting is powerful enough
c. Your flow is bang on
d. You are willing to feed it
e. You have enough experience in Marines to Maintain such a delicate lifeform.

Best of luck with the clowns. Remember they don't insist on an anenome to live. A toadstool coral will suffice as evidenced by my trio when first purchased. It was 6 months before they moved to the anenome.

This is "Rose" my Rose Bubbletip Anemone (without the bubbletips today!) There 3 clowns in there somwhere. An adult female, a dominant male, and a subdominant male. Egglaying every 3-4 weeks)

Kind regards

Seany
Last edit: 22 Jun 2009 12:50 by Seany (Sean Phelan).

More
22 Jun 2009 19:37 #10 by Mick0075 (Michael OSullivan)
Thanks for the responses so far !

Am interested to know about this clown fish tank
What make of tank is it + what size and price
And where are they available thanks.

Sean I think you are right no nems for a few years

Thanks lads
Mick

More
22 Jun 2009 20:11 #11 by sincgar (Feargal Costello)
Mick,
I believe its Fish Antics, seahorse and Kinsealy are doing the Nemo deal. It sound great and definitely worth a visit. i'm very tempted but do not have the radies just at this time. If i manage to make the grade and persuade her id then I might take a trip and even tempted to try it with Organic Aqua per Steve's advice

Feargal

PS Hope I havfen'nt offended anyone or broke posting rules

More
24 Jun 2009 22:31 #12 by Mick0075 (Michael OSullivan)
Thanks for the answers guys

Am going to ring about those nemo tanks they sound perfect !
And most importantly the missus has agreed

3 weeks for the clowns !

Mick

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds