Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

EXTERNAL AND SKIMMERS FOR 125

More
13 Apr 2009 14:57 #1 by dubdero (derek kearns)
have a 125 rio tank looking to keep marine fish without the corals what size protein skimmer and what size externel filter i need and in protien skimmers what type is the best as i heard theres a few types.Id rather get a protien skimmer but was told it want essiential.And also wee to pick up on the cheap.THANKS DEREK

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 Apr 2009 15:45 #2 by paulbohs (Paul Doyle)
Deltec make the best protein skimmers but are expensive. TMC V2 is a close second in quality at about a quarter of the price. I picked up a 1500 for 150 euro. Says its good up to 1500 liters but I'd never believe a manufacturer and their perfect running for 1 day system. I'd go for a 600 if i were you which you can pick up for approx 100 euro. pm me if you want the details of my supplier. there are 400's available too and 200's but don't think the 200 could handle your tank.

More
14 Apr 2009 21:55 #3 by dubdero (derek kearns)
thanks for that info ill check out that externel

More
14 Apr 2009 22:07 #4 by dubdero (derek kearns)
i mean skimmer anyone no decent cheap externels for that tank even 300 litres bigger beeter

More
15 Apr 2009 11:12 - 15 Apr 2009 11:12 #5 by paulbohs (Paul Doyle)
you'll get a nice fluval, eheim or tetratec external filter pretty cheap. pm me if you need details of a shop thats cheap. I'd recommend against them though and just having alot of live rock, alot of powerheads and if you really need a filter the fluidized sand beds or deep sand bed would be my choice for marine. The external filters leak nitrates if not really well cleaned.

externals are great for freshwater as you can get away without cleaning for 2-3 months but you'll need to clean 1 in a marine tank pretty much every week. This is my experience anyway and I've removed them from my tank due to nasty algae outbreaks
Last edit: 15 Apr 2009 11:12 by paulbohs (Paul Doyle).

More
15 Apr 2009 16:29 #6 by kenneth (kenneth mc donnell)
i have prizm skimmer redsea 200-400 lite tank 650l/h 80 euro if u want let us know

More
15 Apr 2009 22:17 #7 by dubdero (derek kearns)
yea ken i take that skimmer were u liven in dublin i cant pm u for some reason if u can pm me with a number

More
15 Apr 2009 22:24 #8 by dubdero (derek kearns)
paul as i said new to to marines,but i was told live rock externel filter bigger the better, with carbon in it no protein skimmer as not needed that the carbon the extra filteration would comletly do the job. but i take your advice as useem to no your stuff,so u recommend leavving in the jewel filter.?

More
15 Apr 2009 22:41 #9 by dubdero (derek kearns)
sorry about dodgy spelling didnt sus it till it was posted

More
17 Apr 2009 11:37 #10 by kenneth (kenneth mc donnell)
monkstown co dublin 0861588360

More
18 Apr 2009 08:56 #11 by dubdero (derek kearns)
thanks paul im getting the fluvel externel and going to go with that red sea protein skimmer ken has for sale as i seen one on tank seem easy to set up.

More
25 Apr 2009 08:05 #12 by dubdero (derek kearns)
have the skimmer now anyone selling an externel

More
25 Apr 2009 08:13 #13 by dubdero (derek kearns)
paul what will a deep sand bed achieve.and u reckon just use the normal jewel filter and live rock. can u give us more info on reasons havent heard before out of four people i no that keep marines recommending that.thanks for different approach.

More
26 Apr 2009 08:47 #14 by dubdero (derek kearns)
paulbohs that sounds good option but what is a flutized sand bed i hold out untill reply. and if i use that method will i leave my normal jewell filter running as well was going to take that out all together.

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds