Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Marine Predator Tank

• 2poc (2poc)
  • 2poc (2poc)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Jan 2010 09:08 #1 by 2poc (2poc)
Marine Predator Tank was created by 2poc (2poc)
I was reading this thread over on monsterfishkeepers: www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296357

The Large marine fish are just stunning, but I don't think I've ever seen pics of anybody keeping them in Ireland.

Anybody out there with an interest in marine predators or keeping any large marines?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
22 Jan 2010 10:40 - 22 Jan 2010 10:42 #2 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
After finishing my SA Cichlid and my planted tanks I have started to research marines. They are without doubt the most impressive of setups imo. Not really sure what way to go about it though. I really like the reefs but there is a lot to be said for FOWLR setups with big predators. I guess it will depend on the size of the tank. Have never kept a salty tank so its new ground for me and theres a LOT of reading to be done. Nice find btw :) .

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.
Last edit: 22 Jan 2010 10:42 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes).

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Jan 2010 11:15 #3 by 2poc (2poc)
Replied by 2poc (2poc) on topic Re:Marine Predator Tank
If you're researching marines I've got to recommend 'The Conscientious Marine Aquarist' by R. Fenner.
Brilliantly written book...

I was speaking to Drew in AV a while back & they were considering up setting up a big predatory marine tank - fingers crossed :)

I've done the transition from freshwater to marine myself & now keep both so if I can help at all let me know (though I'm only fairly new to marines so still learning)

More
22 Jan 2010 13:01 #4 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Thanks for the heads up on the book...Amazon here I come :) . Will definately hold you to the offer of assistance as this is a different science altogether. Thanks again ;) .

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

More
22 Jan 2010 22:11 #5 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
Got this book as a present for xmas, a good easy to understand book with some great advice. Definety get it on amazon its very pricey in the fishshops.

Any pics of your marine patrick must be coming together nicely now

Jeff

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Jan 2010 18:00 #6 by 2poc (2poc)
Replied by 2poc (2poc) on topic Re:Marine Predator Tank
gerryberry wrote:

Got this book as a present for xmas, a good easy to understand book with some great advice. Definety get it on amazon its very pricey in the fishshops.

Any pics of your marine patrick must be coming together nicely now

Jeff

Hi Jeff, its a great book alright - even for freshwater keepers.
There was a stand at the last ITFS show selling them for next to nothing.

I don't have any recent pics of the tank, I had a bit of a battle with hair algae that I finally have sorted. Still a few gaps to fill & space for a couple of fish but I will post pics soon. Looks like my Clarkii clowns are preparing to spawn so might get some interesting pics from that.

More
23 Jan 2010 18:23 #7 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)

I don't have any recent pics of the tank, I had a bit of a battle with hair algae that I finally have sorted. Still a few gaps to fill & space for a couple of fish but I will post pics soon. Looks like my Clarkii clowns are preparing to spawn so might get some interesting pics from that.

best of luck with the spawn hope all goes well, would you ever try one of those algae sctubbers on a tank to get rid of the algae??

Jeff

Time to create page: 0.042 seconds