Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Tank underway! Now With Vid!

More
16 Mar 2010 10:52 - 15 Apr 2010 21:01 #1 by PetCoLongMileRoad (Drew Latimer)
I have now done it I took the plunge into marines and now I'm broke ha ha rock went in yesterday I'll take pictures and let ya's all know how I'm getting on as I go!
Have to say a big thanks to the lads at seahorse for helping me start off this heartbreakingly expensive adventure ha ha

If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.
Last edit: 15 Apr 2010 21:01 by PetCoLongMileRoad (Drew Latimer).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 Mar 2010 10:56 #2 by irishfirepics (Dennis Prior)
well done, marines are gret, it is expensive but it's only the initial cost, it's not too bad once it's all setup. wait for the leccy bill. get some pic's up.

whats the details of your tank.

make/model, volum, equipment, amount of LR, lighting etc...

sure stick it all up.

oh and best of luck.

More
16 Mar 2010 11:19 #3 by mickdeja (Mick Whelan)
Best of luck man, lookin forward to see the pics, take pics of the different stages of the tank progressin over a long period, always good to see the pics from a marine when the corals all grow and looks like a bit of the ocean in yer gaff..........

Follow me up to Carlow

More
01 Apr 2010 19:52 #4 by PetCoLongMileRoad (Drew Latimer)
sorry havent been on this in ages

my tank is a rio 180

i have a ehiem eco pro external filter

a hang on skimmer

and ehhh hydor koralla :)

i have 18 kilos of live rock in it

a pair of clowns, a 4 striped humbug, a sand sifting gody and 2 skunk shrimps, an anemone + a few hermit crabs!!

ill pop up some pictures soon

tank is up and running 3 weeks fish in it a week:)

If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.

More
01 Apr 2010 20:05 #5 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Good stuff Steve, glad to hear its coming together for ya. Get the pics up asap ;).

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

More
01 Apr 2010 20:07 #6 by irishfirepics (Dennis Prior)
how long did you leave it cycling an anemone shouldn't be added to a new tank they should be added to a well established tank, they really dont like nitrates and can be very sensitive to changes in water parameters.

More
01 Apr 2010 20:07 #7 by PetCoLongMileRoad (Drew Latimer)
i will tomorrow yeah i made a balls of the background so apologies in advance!

More
01 Apr 2010 20:07 #8 by mickdeja (Mick Whelan)
well done msn for takin the big plunge,i cant wait to grow balls and start the oul marine meself.......:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Follow me up to Carlow

More
01 Apr 2010 20:10 #9 by PetCoLongMileRoad (Drew Latimer)
2 weeks i got it as a present for an uncle who's had it 2 years or so he wouldnt have given it to me if he thought there would have been a problem:)

its grand though eating and all for me

i test my water every second day and no problems at all

More
01 Apr 2010 20:11 #10 by PetCoLongMileRoad (Drew Latimer)
dont need to grow balls just grow your wallet haha

More
01 Apr 2010 20:13 #11 by irishfirepics (Dennis Prior)
thats good, just keep an eye on it, your fish are hardy enough just the anemone's can be hard to keep in a new tank, lost one myself and they can pollute the water fairly quick too

More
01 Apr 2010 20:16 #12 by PetCoLongMileRoad (Drew Latimer)
oh i know yeah he's the softest thing in there i've been told he's the hardiest anemone you can get but im testing the water either way

what anemone did you have?

More
01 Apr 2010 20:22 #13 by irishfirepics (Dennis Prior)
i had a bubble tip, there fairly hardy but my nitrates were a little high, i got a lovely sand anemone in seahorse and it's as hard as nails and is stunning looking, what one do you have??

More
01 Apr 2010 20:24 #14 by PetCoLongMileRoad (Drew Latimer)
the sand anemone too!!

very impressive when its standing up spread out!!

More
01 Apr 2010 20:30 #15 by irishfirepics (Dennis Prior)
yeah and itsettled in straight away, it loves the lance fish and the frozen mysis. best of luck with it. did your clown host in it yet, i have 2 clarkii clowns and took to it straightt away.

More
01 Apr 2010 20:32 #16 by PetCoLongMileRoad (Drew Latimer)
no not yet the clowns are in it since sunday to be honest they spend most the day lip locking and butting each other ha

More
01 Apr 2010 21:52 #17 by irishfirepics (Dennis Prior)
hopefully they will pair for you.

More
12 Apr 2010 18:29 #18 by PetCoLongMileRoad (Drew Latimer)
promise i'll put up picks in the next 2 days haha been so busy these days :)

More
13 Apr 2010 13:33 #19 by Glenn 10 (glenn hornibrook)
Keep a very close eye on water quality. I would check amonia and nitrite also, these can be present at dangerous levels before nitrate rears it's ugly head.( amonia breaks down into nitrite , nitrite breaks down into nitrate and then to harmless nitrogen gass) The bacteria in your rocks and substrate does all this but as your tank is so new they are under pressure to keep up with new bioload.

Good luck and enjoy

More
15 Apr 2010 20:48 #20 by PetCoLongMileRoad (Drew Latimer)
now at last here is a video of the tank!!

please excuse the shaky camera and the parrots singing!

oh and the background i made a balls of it but here's the video anywho

More
16 Apr 2010 04:50 #21 by mickdeja (Mick Whelan)
very impressed with the tank man, well done rockwork looks great, camera was flyin around...:laugh: :laugh:

Follow me up to Carlow

More
16 Apr 2010 08:32 - 16 Apr 2010 08:33 #22 by Tetra (Tetra)
Nice looking tank Stephen just one question on the left there is brown stalk with tentacles didn't really get a good look. Did you buy this or did it come with the LR because at quick glance it looks like aiptasia which is a pest anemone which spreads like crazy and stings other corals something you don't want in you'r tank. Would really need a picture of it to identify. Great looking tank and the size of that anemone B) B)

Padraig
Last edit: 16 Apr 2010 08:33 by Tetra (Tetra).

More
16 Apr 2010 17:57 #23 by PetCoLongMileRoad (Drew Latimer)
is it? oh ill post a pic of it up now sure hold on

and i know its a huge anemone its lookin quite impressive at the moment actually completely opened out!

ill take a pic of that too!

More
16 Apr 2010 18:10 #24 by PetCoLongMileRoad (Drew Latimer)

More
16 Apr 2010 19:31 #25 by Tetra (Tetra)
Yep just asked on another forum just to double check and its definitely aipastia make up some kalk paste or use boiling RO water and inject it into but you got to do it quick as these guys can move pretty quick believe or not into LR holes.Thats some anemone you got Stephen hopefully it will split for ya soon looks great

More
17 Apr 2010 08:41 #26 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Lookin good Stephen, that nem is quality!! I like the gobies too. Just filled my own tank during the week so will have pics and vids up soon if all goes well.

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

More
17 Apr 2010 18:20 - 17 Apr 2010 18:20 #27 by PetCoLongMileRoad (Drew Latimer)
thanks for that man i sorted that out just there i found another 2 small one's as well, and finally got the teddy bear crab outta the tank too and killed it, felt horrible though!:(

yeah jay lookin forward to seeing your tank

have to say im having no problems what so ever with the tank!

not as hard as it was made out to be anyways!B)

Last edit: 17 Apr 2010 18:20 by PetCoLongMileRoad (Drew Latimer).

More
17 Apr 2010 19:06 #28 by Tetra (Tetra)
Glad you got it sorted man and everythings going good knock on live rock :laugh: :laugh:

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds