Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

How to Set up Marine!

More
26 Mar 2010 21:00 #1 by siamesefighter (Andrew Watters)
Alright lads,
I have got my self a tropical fish tank. i do regular water changes and PH tests, Nitrate tests, and ammonia tests. i keep discus with a clown loach with a royal clown pleco, with a few tetra's in a 200ltr tank. the equipment is a 3 layer external filter with a uv steriser. with a air stone for affect.
I want to move forward and move to keeping marine clown fish as a nice little beginer fish to keep. but i want to do it right. and i need as much info and help to get myself started on keeping marine fish,

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
26 Mar 2010 21:31 #2 by giunceris (gintaras barbsys)
hi,mate, my advise is at first to buy a book reef secrets(alf jacob nilsen)!really good book!B)

More
26 Mar 2010 21:58 #3 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Hey, great to see more people taking the plunge into marines. Im just getting into it myself and have a small salty tank up and running and in the process of converting my 400 litre into a marine setup too. Take the time to do as much research as you can, and then do some more. I can highly reccomend The Conscientious Marine Aquarist (2nd edition) by Robert M Fenner. There are also some great salty dedicated websites out there. Also, I should mention that there are some guys here who really know their salty stuff and will point you in the right direction.

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

More
27 Mar 2010 00:17 #4 by stevoxxx (stephen markey)
Hi,

First thing you need to do is decide what kind of set up you want (FISH ONLY OR REEF) then research what equiptment you need lights ,skimmers ect. see how far the budget will stretch and go from there. Do loads of research ask loads of questions and go for it but be warned take your time and do it right, some mistakes can be very costly.

Stevo

More
27 Mar 2010 10:23 #5 by siamesefighter (Andrew Watters)
stevoxxx wrote:

Hi,

First thing you need to do is decide what kind of set up you want (FISH ONLY OR REEF) then research what equiptment you need lights ,skimmers ect. see how far the budget will stretch and go from there. Do loads of research ask loads of questions and go for it but be warned take your time and do it right, some mistakes can be very costly.

Stevo

DO I need a sump for a 200 ltr marine tank? is the sump just more or less to hide the equipment? and would any old tank do for a sump or would i need a special sump tank?

And i only plan to keep Clown fish to be honest lads, but i want to have live rock Ie anemone?

More
27 Mar 2010 10:58 #6 by Tetra (Tetra)
The more water you have the more it will dilute the pollutants. Think of it like this a drop of blood in a shot glass and a drop of blood in a large jug the shot glass will turn red pretty fast were as it will not really have any effect on the large jug. Meaning more water more room for error. 200L is grand for clowns you don't need a sump but it gives the tank a clean look by removing equipment adding extra water and can make for easier access to equipment while making water changes a bit easier to there are many advantages to a sump but they are not a necessity. Live rock will be your filter so you have no problem putting that in. An anemone needs strong light and good water conditions and not really recommended for starting off id wait till your tank has aged for bout 6 months before even thinking of an anemone also the clown fish will be perfectly ok without one.

More
29 Mar 2010 18:37 #7 by siamesefighter (Andrew Watters)
Tetra_Tetra wrote:

The more water you have the more it will dilute the pollutants. Think of it like this a drop of blood in a shot glass and a drop of blood in a large jug the shot glass will turn red pretty fast were as it will not really have any effect on the large jug. Meaning more water more room for error. 200L is grand for clowns you don't need a sump but it gives the tank a clean look by removing equipment adding extra water and can make for easier access to equipment while making water changes a bit easier to there are many advantages to a sump but they are not a necessity. Live rock will be your filter so you have no problem putting that in. An anemone needs strong light and good water conditions and not really recommended for starting off id wait till your tank has aged for bout 6 months before even thinking of an anemone also the clown fish will be perfectly ok without one.

Lads
thanks to everybody for commenting on this issue for me. but as i investagated further i found its more experience and its very tricky. I am going to keep on breeding my discus untill i am ready to take the plunge into keeping the marine fish! thanks to all for commenting!

More
29 Mar 2010 20:01 #8 by giunceris (gintaras barbsys)
always welcomeB)

More
02 Apr 2010 19:03 #9 by siamesefighter (Andrew Watters)
Question? Is there anyone i could employ to set up the marine tank, sump and all the extra's if i purchase everything

More
02 Apr 2010 20:06 #10 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
As far as i know Andy in Aquarium Solutions will setup a tank for you, you should be able to get his contact details in the sponsor section. Sound lad who wil help you out beyond the call of duty well worth contacting.

Keep the post going if your going this salty route

Jeff

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds