Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

More
04 May 2010 19:24 #1 by PetCoLongMileRoad (Drew Latimer)
My fear has come reality!!

Whitespot in my tank!!

Im so annoyed!

Only plus side is i caught it early, barely noticeable the blue tang is scratching itself off of the sand and is smart enough to keep going over to the shrimp to clean him

im using esha oodinex can anyone else recommend any better marine treatments?

i really, really, REALLY want to stop this before it gets out of control any other tips would be brilliant!!B)

If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2010 21:12 #2 by DJK (David Kinsella)
I'm not all too sure about Marine set ups, but I did have a persistent Whitespot problem in one of my
fresh water tanks not too long ago. I used protozin which eventually shifted it after 3 separate
treatments! Anyway, I was in a LFS that I had not been in before, just offloading a few fry and explaining my then solved problem. He showed me a product by King British, I think, which he said was previously only available to the 'trade'. It's only a 2 day treatment as opposed to 6 with protozin but not sure if it's compatible for marine.

Dave

More
04 May 2010 23:32 #3 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Stephen your best bet is to ring one of the shops in the morning that deal in Marines.

You could try giving the fish a fresh water bath. The water should be the same temp. and ph.
The cyst with take in the fresh water (osmosis) expand and burst.
The fish would need to be placed in a separate tank and not back to to it's original tank or it may get infected again.
All other fish will probably have to go through the same process.

I have been lucky to not have had any health issues with marine fish so know very little about it.
The info above is vague and you would have to look into it more to know exactly how to do this correctly.

If it is a reef tank the meds that might work on the fish may not be usable in a reef tank. You need to check this.

If all else fails and you cant move the fish, it's a reef tank (or going to be) that you cant treat with copper or you dont find a way out get my number from Des and give me a ring.

One other thing keep a note of when the white spot first appeared on the fish and the temp. of the water. Find out the cycle of the cyst in a marine tank.

More
05 May 2010 00:19 #4 by Tetra (Tetra)
Don't use any meds in the display tank even if they say there reef safe EVER.They can have severe effects on coral and inverts even after being removed.In my opinion Id feed with garlic and wait it out tangs are well know for ich.Even after 6 weeks in quarentine they can get it as soon as you move it to the DT. Also I think you'll just stress it out more by moving it to a smaller tank and with meds on top of this it may be the one to push it over the edge. If the fish is healthy it should be able to fight it off some people wont agree with this but others do. www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.ph...7052860#post17052860
How are the other fish are they showing any signs of ich? Hows the tang is it nice and fat or has it a skinny sunken belly?

More
05 May 2010 15:23 #5 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Hey Stephen,

Sorry to hear about the Ich but dont fret too much. As Im sure you are aware, all Surgeonfishes are especially succeptible to marine Ich but most of them are tough fish and should recover fully and quickly if treated properly with the right meds. As Darren suggested, a copper formulation will clear this up nicely as will quinines. First, get them into a treatment tank that can house them for at least a month as they will need constant exposure to the meds. This produces a thick mucus that sloughs off the cysts. Also, there may still be parasites lurking in the main system that may reinfect the stock so having no hosts in the tank for three or four weeks should kill them off. Try lowering the SG to around 1.020 for a day or so in the treatment tank to speed up the process too. As Tetra said, dont dose the main tank unless you can move all your inverts but be prepared to lose any beneficial algae you may have growing on your LR as copper sulfate destroys them. Hope it works out for ya, and if you need help housing any inverts give me a shout.

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

More
05 May 2010 17:42 #6 by Tetra (Tetra)
In my opinion I would never put any meds in the display tank unless you plan on never keeping coral or inverts this is because copper can soak into your live rock and leach out over a VERY long time killing inverts and coral as there very sensitive to cooper.I have read several threads before about people having to break tanks down due to algae blooms or mystery deaths after dosing with meds even reef safe meds. If your really worried about it id take all inverts and coral out and put them in QT for 2 weeks and do Hypo in the DT.This will cause alot less stress on the tang. Iv also heared of cleaner wrasses eating ich off of tangs although I have no experience with this but can show ya some pics if it helps. I would wait and feed with garlic for the moment and make sure water quality is perfect.Remember you have to QT all fish add meds and do this for 6 weeks to be 100% sure that all stages of the ich are gone from fish and DT.This is just my opinion people will disagree with me and swear by a QT but I think if you have placed the fish in the DT now removing it and placing it in a QT now will just stress it more.I don't disagree with a QT but feel if its just ich and its already in the DT its better to leave it in there than remove and treat causing alot more stress.

Just my 0.02

More
05 May 2010 18:25 #7 by PetCoLongMileRoad (Drew Latimer)
thanks lads im gonna head to seahorse for a few hints an tips

im using a whitespot treatment thats completely safe to use with inverts, so it says and anyways

and unfortunately with a big ass parrot cage in my room and a pair of poison dart frogs here too i simply haven't got the room for a QT

any treatment i have to do has to be done in the tank as a whole

If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.

More
07 May 2010 08:43 #8 by newrossman (newrossman)
Nasty thing to have in tank, and dosing may help but always has issues.

All above are correct lower specific gravity to 1.20/1.19 may slow it down but not remove it.

Bottem line is a healty unstressed fish can fight it off, and if in the tank it will stay in tank as cysts for months, Garlic seems to help immune system and UV kills the larve but your in for a long hard slog.

I had it once in my main display my tang just got too big and was stressed, in the end I lost it but my other fish got it too but were able to fight off.
It then vanished for a few months and returned again when I did'nt do a water change for a month, so fish got a little stressed. but I did a 20% water change and it vanished. Since then 14 Months no signs, for what I remember it can last in thank over 6 months.

Not good news REF www.wetwebmedia.com/bestcryptfaqs.htm

Reef 55 Gallons

More
24 May 2010 19:17 #9 by brady1 (thomas)
keelan in seahorse will recommend you on which way is the best for you...do you keep corals or inverts????

i would recommend a uv steraliser also puchase a cleaner wrasse great looking fish that love to eat whitespot....

regarding meds depends on what you stock, but i keep both corals and inverts and i had a breakout last year, used UV and cleaner wrasse but dosed with paraguard as well. whitespot killed within a week of dosing... corals closed up intially after dosing but opened up agian fine...no invert loss of fish loss...

you really want to find out cause though...mine was using cheap swing hydrometer...salinity was sky high....

its pointless treating tank untill you now the cause...

tommy

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds