Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Predator Compatability

More
08 Jun 2010 08:50 #1 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
So I have decided to go down the route of A FOWLR setup with predators (as soon as I move on the reef fish) and have some stock in mind that I think should be compatable but would like some opinions from you folks. Im thinking 1 x Blackbar Soldierfish, 1 x Dogface Puffer and 1 x Humu Picasso Triggerfish. I was also thinking of a Snowflake Moray too. The tank is a 400ltr...for now. Thanks guys,

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
08 Jun 2010 10:20 #2 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
I have seen puffers and triggers in tanks so i,m guessing they should be alright together, the picasso is some fish dude one of the nicest in my opnion. The moray rearranges rockwork quite easily so you would want to make sure they are well built and anchored in place.Andy up in Ashbourne had one in a few weeks ago a real beauty.Don,t know anything about the Soliderfish must look it up

What stock do you have in the tank at the moment, are you selling it on?? If so might be interested

Jeff

More
08 Jun 2010 12:18 - 08 Jun 2010 12:20 #3 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Thanks for your input Jeff, my only real concern is the Soldierfish to be honest. I picked up a full grown adult yesturday for a steal but am a little concerned about how it will get on with the puffer and trigger, that said its six inches and a rocket so dont see either of them catching it if they were so inclined, plus its a nocturnal. I was thinking about the eel and its ability to rearrange a setup. What methods do you use to secure yours? Ive heard good things about a certain Epoxy that turns the same colour as coraline algae when dry. Yeah, I saw the Snowflake in Andy's...a cracking specimen. Ill Pm you the details of the stock shortly mate.

Jay

Life
Last edit: 08 Jun 2010 12:20 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes).

More
08 Jun 2010 13:35 #4 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
Viperbot wrote:

I was thinking about the eel and its ability to rearrange a setup. What methods do you use to secure yours? Ive heard good things about a certain Epoxy that turns the same colour as coraline algae when dry. Yeah, I saw the Snowflake in Andy's...a cracking specimen. Ill Pm you the details of the stock shortly mate.

Jay

I used acrylic rods to build my rockwork into columns, they are solid enough but if i was putting in a moray i would strip it down and epoxy the whole thing together and still keep the rods for added stability.

DD do a epoxy that is purple in color when dry, most of the lfs should have it, i know i seen it in seahorse for defo.

Cheers for pm will get back to you

Jeff

More
08 Jun 2010 13:43 #5 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Awesome stuff mate, thanks.

Jay

Life

More
08 Jun 2010 22:41 - 08 Jun 2010 22:42 #6 by Tetra (Tetra)
You could also use cable ties saves you from breaking rocks in case you don't like the aqua scape or plan on selling your live rock down the line.
Have you taught about a spiny anthias porcupine puffer flame angel threadfin jack (cracking looking fish) there just some of my favourites love your choice of fish to picasso's are lovely looking fish.
Heres a good link for some ideas for fish en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_marine_aquarium_fish_species
Last edit: 08 Jun 2010 22:42 by Tetra (Tetra).

More
09 Jun 2010 18:15 #7 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Thats a helluva list they have there. I do like the Porcupine Puffers but Ive heard that they dont do too well over time in the home aquarium, not sure if its true though. The Threadfin Jacks are awesome but doubt I could keep one alive long enough to enjoy it as Im not experienced enough to keep one myself. Im pretty set on the list I have drawn up so think Ill focus on trying to source them now, I keep getting distracted by lists like the one you gave me the link to!! So many fish to choose from, but so few litres...

Jay

Life

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Jun 2010 11:04 #8 by 2poc (2poc)
Replied by 2poc (2poc) on topic Re:Predator Compatability
Nice choice of fish, I thought soldierfish needed to be kept in groups though - could be wrong?
Did you buy him in Kinsealy? There's been one there for a long time.

If you're thinking of a triggerfish for a 400 litre you must consider a clown trigger.
IMO they are the nicest looking fish in the sea full stop.. Supposed to get mean with age but what a fish...

They've had stunning white spotted groupers in AV a few times, they get to about 10 inches as far as I remember. Loads of small white spots and green eyes. Very cool.

Good luck with it anyway, its something I'd love to do myself.

More
10 Jun 2010 11:18 #9 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Thanks Patrick, your dead on, thats the guy from Kinsealy, he was there a couple of months I think. They are a social species if kept in a large enough setup but can be kept singly and do very well. I had thought about a Clown Trigger as they are simply awesome looking fish, but your right again, they are the most aggressive Trigger you can keep as well as the most expensive as far as I can tell anyway. I wonder if one could live with a Dog Face Puffer? Hadnt considered any of the Groupers...no no no!! Im sticking with the list dammit!!!

Jay

Life

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Jun 2010 14:53 #10 by 2poc (2poc)
Replied by 2poc (2poc) on topic Re:Predator Compatability
Viperbot wrote:

Thanks Patrick, your dead on, thats the guy from Kinsealy, he was there a couple of months I think. They are a social species if kept in a large enough setup but can be kept singly and do very well. I had thought about a Clown Trigger as they are simply awesome looking fish, but your right again, they are the most aggressive Trigger you can keep as well as the most expensive as far as I can tell anyway. I wonder if one could live with a Dog Face Puffer? Hadnt considered any of the Groupers...no no no!! Im sticking with the list dammit!!!

Jay

Jay, this is like fishkeeping by proxy, I'm really trying to get you to stock what I want so I can own it by proxy :laugh:

You need a lionfish too, a big volitans. :laugh:

Seriously though, seahorse aquariums have the widest range of marine oddballs I've seen and I would have a look there before you decide on a stocklist as you might pick up something really unusual.
The other sponsors always have quality stock but don't have oddballs with the same consistency as seahorse.

More
10 Jun 2010 15:49 #11 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Owning fish by proxy, I love that, almost choked on my coffee when I read it:laugh: :laugh: As for the remark about the Volitans...there is wisdom in those words :laugh: . Seahorse is without doubt going to be the first port of call when I move on the current inhabitants. Cant wait to get out there again. Also, I reckon we are due a fishlist soon from those guys, they post up new lists pretty frequently here...(rubs hands in anticipation). Last time I was out there I saw things I wouldnt even know how to describe :laugh:

Jay

Life

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds