Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

can it be done

More
11 Jun 2010 21:36 #1 by r2potat2 (Derek Martin)
Hi guys,

I was just wondering if it is possible to turn a tank that has been used as fresh water can be turned into marine.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 Jun 2010 21:39 #2 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
No problems what so ever, i would just give it a good scrub but there should be no major problems.

You taking the plunge and going salty:) :)

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Jun 2010 21:40 #3 by 2poc (2poc)
Replied by 2poc (2poc) on topic Re:can it be done
Absolutely...

There are things about purpose built marine tanks that make things easier though.
Sumps, open hoods, high output lighting etc.

I ran a juwel rio 240 as marine as well as a small 50 litre aquael as marine for over a year. Marine keeping is only as difficult as you want to make it. If you would like to try it out before spending real money, really all you need is some live rock and some pumps for flow. This will be fine for a few hardy fish like clownfish.

From experience though, the next marine tank I set up will be purpose built. If you want to keep more sensitive fish, inverts and corals a purpose built marine tank makes it much easier.

More
11 Jun 2010 22:02 #4 by r2potat2 (Derek Martin)
thanks for the info lads im thinking about trying out salt water not sure if i should go cichlid or marine

More
12 Jun 2010 08:56 #5 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Ive recently done just what you are planning to do and its turned out very well. Iwas originally going to do a reef setup but havnt the time to maintain one so am going with a FOWLR setup with large predators. Just be sure to research the fish you plan on keeping, and try to go with tough fish from the start that will forgive the inevitable mistakes that we all make at when doing something new and you will never look back...

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

Time to create page: 0.040 seconds