Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Moorish Idol

More
07 Jul 2010 14:55 #1 by Tunes145 (Tuna Yoney)
Hi all.

I have been looking/researching Marine fish hoping to keep some in near future.

I have come accross Moorish Idol is an extremely sensitive and diffucult fish to keep. Its said(wikipedia and various fish libraries)it is almost impossible for this fish to live in aquria because of getting to eat and short live span, even very small amounts of them can live through transit in aquarium trade.

It's very beautfiul animal. Definetly agree on that. What keeps me thinking, if this fish is in such delicate form, how come the aquarium shops(even some here are posting here) to have available to sell it?i.e. even though they may know it's not going to live for long?.

I can understand some hobbist may have passion for keeping extra challanging fish. Apart from that, any other reason to buy this fish?.

quote from wikipedia "Moorish idols are notoriously difficult to maintain in captivity. They require large tanks, often exceeding 100 US gallons (380 l; 83 imp gal)[1], are voracious eaters, and can become destructive".

Cheers
Tunes

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2010 15:16 #2 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
I remember a time when one 'manufacturer' of marine salt mix used the Moorish Idol in their advert along the lines of ".....even a Moorish Idol lived for 3 months in our new salt...." (well, I can't remember the exact wording as it was over 30 years ago now).

Things have got better since then.

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
07 Jul 2010 16:07 #3 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Ian is dead on in saying that. The knowledge and technology we have at our disposal is far greater than it was back then. That said, there are some species that simply should not be kept in the home aquaria. The Moorish Idol being a good example. Many of the large Angelfish and Butterflyfish also find it difficult to adjust to captive life and will expire within weeks/months. These are just a few examples but there are plenty more that even the most experienced marine aquarist will find very difficult to keep. Really, there is no need, bar bragging rights, to attempt husbandry of these fish as there many, many more fantastic species that look just as well and are far tougher. Its a simple case of knowing what you are buying, and walking away when delicate species are offered, especially if your a novice. You will save yourself a mint, and a bus load of hassel.

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

More
07 Jul 2010 16:48 #4 by Gavin (Gavin)
Replied by Gavin (Gavin) on topic Re:Moorish Idol
yup.read the pablo tepoot(silly name yes.) his aquarium atlas of south east asia is one of the best books on marines I've ever seen. His description of them reads beside the picture "doomed in captivity" pretty much sums it up.If you wanted something similar in looks that wasn't as hard to keep I'd go for a banner fish.Maybe.

dont make me come over there.

More
07 Jul 2010 17:06 #5 by Sandtiger (Rob)
Replied by Sandtiger (Rob) on topic Re:Moorish Idol
They are regarded as difficult to keep for any length of time, the specimens from Hawaii are certainly more robust and seem to adapt far better to captivity, New Era Herbivore flake seems to be particularly beneficial, but as long term survival rates are generally poor better to leave the Idol on the reef in my opinion.

Reagards

Rob

Time to create page: 0.040 seconds