Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

New setup!

More
15 Sep 2010 23:00 #1 by lesgodoy (Leandro Godoy)
Hello everyone!

After 9 months of a forced break from marines (moving house, no cash), I am finally starting it back again! After keeping marines for a while in a 80 ltr Byou nano tank, I fell in love with the hobby and could not wait to get a bigger tank... So after much research and thought, here is what I came up with:

Tank: Aquamedic Percula 90 (second hand but sold from LFS, great condition as it was a display tank)

Equipment: I am using all the original that comes with the Aquamedic tank, with one exception, lights... I chose not to use Metal Halide and instead go with TMC Aquabeam LED tiles, 2 tiles to be exact, which should be enough for soft corals, which is all I am going to keep for a looong time.

Extras: If the percula already did not have enough gadgets, I decided to get more... Tunze auto top up unit and a Tunze temperature controller. I think they will both be beneficial for the set up and can always be used in other tanks if I decide to change in the future.

Liverock and aragonite: I have decided to use uncured liverock. As you can see on the post before this one, there are so great advantages of using uncured, but also some not so great advantages. I decided that the key to this set up will be patience. All of it on my part, so I have nobody else to blame.

The plan: Tomorrow morning pick up uncured liverock at LFS, 2 weeks with no light in tank... Then as you know we will see what the conditions are then... The main thing about my plan is that I will spend the next 3-4 months stocking up the tank with soft corals and the cleaning crew. Only after January 15th or so I will start with reef friendly fish... List of my choice of fish is done too, but I will leave that for another time...

Well, thats it for now everyone... I have set a goal to also take pics and keep a log of what is going on gradually. I might post the pics and information as it happens on this site, as I believe it could be helpful to other newbies (like myself), or even the "old dogs" might find interesting.

If you have any comments, concerns or ideas please drop me a line. As long as it is constructive it will be mostly appreciated. My timeline is the only thing pretty much set, and will not change, even if I dont have to wait such a long time, the timeline also takes into account my financial situation. I have been reading this site on/off for 9 months now and look forward to become more active now that I actually get my tank back!

Hope I didnt bore you to death!

L

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 Sep 2010 23:28 #2 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
not into marines so cant offer advice but welcome back to the hobby and good luck with it

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
15 Sep 2010 23:31 #3 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re:New setup!

Hope I didnt bore you to death!

Not at all,
You're welcome back to Fishkeeping.

Please do start a 'blow-by-blow' account of your progress - as you say this will be invaluable to anyone thinking of 'dipping a toe' into Marine Tank keeping.
This is just the sort of thing we need here.

And...lots of pictures too, please (pre-empted you there Dar).

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
16 Sep 2010 00:18 #4 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Welcome to the forum and back to the hobby. What better way to get stuck in again than with a nice little reef setup. Looking foward to see how it progresses.

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

More
16 Sep 2010 12:09 #5 by mickdeja (Mick Whelan)
Welcome aboard Les, lookin forward to this ongoin project. I am a sucker for vids and pics so its great that u will be takin these as the tank progresses.....

Mick.....:)

Follow me up to Carlow

More
16 Sep 2010 13:48 #6 by sparky (sparky)
Replied by sparky (sparky) on topic Re:New setup!
lesgodoy wrote:

Extras: If the percula already did not have enough gadgets, I decided to get more... Tunze auto top up unit and a Tunze temperature controller. I think they will both be beneficial for the set up and can always be used in other tanks if I decide to change in the future.

Hey,

Welcome along! Just wanted to ask you, where did you get the Tunze auto top up and temp control? are they expensive to buy? I'm hoping to automate my marine tank, well, as soon as i get it up and running that is!

-Brian

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

More
16 Sep 2010 21:32 #7 by lesgodoy (Leandro Godoy)
Hi again everyone,
Day 1 is done! I'm exhausted now but tmw will put up pics for everyone!
Brian-regarding the tunze products, I got them at Fish Antics. They always have specials on, at the moment all tunze products are 20% off! So if u r interested I would call them asap, as the specials come and go....
Look out for another posting tmw with info and pics...
L

More
16 Sep 2010 23:39 #8 by Mick0075 (Michael OSullivan)
I'm new to marines myself having set up a couple of months back, I look forward to reading about your experiences and seeing lots of photos,
Doing things slowly is so the right thing to do, I moved a little quick and am playing catchup all the time with water conditions, if I took a little more time it would be so much easier but lesson learnt, with no losses

best of luck
Mick

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds