Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Daves 450 Litre Tank

More
20 Sep 2010 10:51 #1 by daveoirl (David McGovern)
Hey everyone,
I posted a brief introduction in the "Introduce Yourself" section, but I thought it would be a good idea to start a proper tank diary thread here, where I can post more info and pics, and also ask questions! (Apologies in advance for the long post)

Basically, my first every marine tank (and first ever fish tank!) was a 58 Litre nano setup which I started in the summer 09. That met with disaster in September 09 when one of the return pumps came loose and pumped 3/4 of the water onto the floor. I lost my only fish (Purple Firefish) and a few soft corals. After an emergency operation I managed to get the tank back up and running that day, and some corals and my CUC survived (they are all still thriving to this day). I then slowly started building up that system again and pretty much filled it with corals, three fish (2 Clowns and a sun tail goby) and some other inverts (Cleaner Shrimp, Sexy Shrimp, Hermits etc).

After I got married, and had some free cash again, I decided to upgrade. So in August I purchased a 340 Litre display tank/cabinet with a 110 Litre sump. I got that going with a load of live rock (my wallet didn't like that!) and went through the usual daily water testing to determine when my cycle had ended. In fact the cycle was extremely short, and after 6 days the tank was Nitrate/Nitrite/Ammonia = Zero. :)
I then spent one Sunday transferring my nano stock into the new setup. I did lose my sexy shrimp though, she must have jumped out of the bucket because we found her on the floor. :( It was a real shame because I had her for a year and she was doing great. Other than that though, everything made it with no problems.

So where am I now. Well, the tank has been properly up and running for about 3 weeks and everything is doing great. I added a Yellow Tang two weeks ago and he is doing great, whenever you look into the tank he comes over to your face - which is pretty funny. I also just added 3 peppermints to combat an aiptasia outbreak, and got my refugium going with some Chaeto and Caulpera. My next steps will probably be getting some more coral (I am a bit of a coral nut!), including some SPS and I will also start thinking about future fishy additions.

Current Stocking List:
Fish
2 x Percula Clowns
1 x Sun Tail Goby
1 x Yellow Tang

Inverts
Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
3 x Peppermint Shrimp
1 x Halloween Hermit Crab
7 x Red Legged Hermit Crabs
1 x Orange Clawed Hermit Crab
10 x Turbo Snails
1 x Astrea Snail
2 x Bumblebee Snails
3 x Nerite Snails
1 x Pistol Shrimp (Live rock hitchhiker)

Corals
Branching Hammer Coral
Candy Cane Coral
Sun Coral
Bubble Coral

Green Star Polyps
Pulsing Xenia
Zoanthids
Ricordeas

Other
Bleached BTA (or possibly Sebae) - hitchhiker on live rock

Some pics:
Old Nano

New Setup:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
20 Sep 2010 12:05 #2 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Nice shots of the setup there Dave, keep em coming as it progresses. Shame about the Sexy, they are the biz. Any more stock planned?

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

More
20 Sep 2010 13:25 #3 by daveoirl (David McGovern)
Thanks Jay, yep my wife was pretty upset about the sexy shrimp to be honest because she thinks they are great! So will probably be getting a few more of them I'd say.

As regards other stock, I am debating whether to get another tang (possibly a Powder Blue or Regal), and perhaps a couple of Bangaii Cardinals also. A Mandarin is for sure on the cards for further down the road. I haven't really decided on any other than those.

With regards to corals, well I definitely want some SPS:
Acropora
Plating Montipora
Birds Nest

Along with some more LPS & Softies:
Torch Coral
Brain Coral
Duncans
Plate Coral
Zoanthids
Ricordeas
Toadstools & other leathers

Might also look at clams, and definitely a BTA at some point.

More
20 Sep 2010 13:51 #4 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Fantastic wishlist bro, good stuff. Keep an eye on the yellow tang when you introduce another surgeon fish as they can be aggressive if not released into the tank together, that said your setup is large so it may not be a problem.
Would have tried a clam myself but switched to a FOWLR setup because of the workload, simplt havnt the time to maintain a large reef setup :( . Had a BTA for a long while in a nano and they are the biz, they tend to roam a lot though so just be sure it doesnt settle on a powerhead :laugh: . You have obviously thought this project through, and thats the key with marines as is patience...and a steady income :laugh:

Jay

Life

More
20 Sep 2010 14:00 #5 by daveoirl (David McGovern)
I hear ya on the possible aggression from the YT. Something which is causing me to seriously think about whether to add another tang or not.
I will wait and see if the hitchhiker anemone makes it or not (it is pretty bleached so I am feeding it often), if that survives then there will be no need to buy one I suppose!

The costs are a pain for sure, but the main costs are in setup - now I can take things slowly and add livestock here and there when the funds are available! ;)

More
20 Sep 2010 14:22 #6 by alan.s (alan)
Great pics! Tank will be fantastic when your done! Hope to do it myself someday!

More
20 Sep 2010 19:45 #7 by daveoirl (David McGovern)

More
20 Sep 2010 21:09 #8 by mickdeja (Mick Whelan)
Beautiful pics there Dave........

Follow me up to Carlow

More
20 Sep 2010 21:28 #9 by lesgodoy (Leandro Godoy)
Hi Dave,

Lovely set up and great pics! Thanks for sharing it with us...

I somewhat started like yourself, with a small nano tank and very soon could not wait to get a bigger tank! Just got it, and slowly will be stocking it up....

Keep us updated with the progress, I might be picking your brain soon!

L

More
28 Sep 2010 12:25 #10 by daveoirl (David McGovern)
Thanks guys. Another quick update, I got a lovely sarcophyton on Sunday in Seahorse Aquariums and it has settled in nicely. I also ordered a porcelain crab from them, which should arrive in the next couple of weeks.

More
05 Oct 2010 18:27 #11 by daveoirl (David McGovern)
Another quick update. I got my new MH bulb today, a 10000k 250 Watt Blue Life SPS bulb.
The reason I got a new bulb so quickly is because I just wasn't happy with the one I got with the 2nd hand light - it was too yellow so was probably 6500k. Anyway I am MUCH happier with the new bulb, see comparison pics below

Old bulb

New bulb

Other new pics:
Mushrooms

Halloween Hermit Crab stealing dinner from the Sun Coral

More
05 Oct 2010 18:36 #12 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Great decision Dave. Looks far more "natural" with the higher temp bulb. Good stuff, bet that wasnt cheap ;) .

Jay

Life

More
05 Oct 2010 18:38 #13 by dar (darren curry)
that hermit is a cracking shot.

mods when's the photo comp?

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic

More
05 Oct 2010 18:39 #14 by mickdeja (Mick Whelan)
Lovely pics.

Mick........:)

Follow me up to Carlow

More
05 Oct 2010 19:02 #15 by daveoirl (David McGovern)
Thanks for the compliments guys! :)

Jay, you are right and I am so much happier with the new bulb! I ordered it from the US on ebay, I think it was about $68 including delivery but it was really worth it. I was a bit worried after ordering it thinking maybe I should have gone for an even higher temp, but I worried needlessly.

More
05 Oct 2010 21:28 #16 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
The light looks much better Dave.
You took a bit of a gamble ordering from abroad. But it seem to have paid of.

Nice pics.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Oct 2010 21:39 #17 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re:Daves 450 Litre Tank
What's the story re conversions, Voltage etc? they run different to us.

Kev.
Attachments:

More
05 Oct 2010 22:19 #18 by murph (Tony Murphy)
With discharge bulbs like metal-halides, mercury vapour, (HPS for the horticulturalists!) and even flourescent tubes, it's the control gear that takes care of the voltage/frequency issues. The bulbs are the same.
Hence, it's ok to use a US mh in a uk fitting here, but not a uk bulb in a us fitting.

(note: cfl's etc with built in control gear are region-specific!)

More
06 Oct 2010 08:56 #19 by daveoirl (David McGovern)
As Murph said.... ;)

More
06 Oct 2010 16:14 #20 by alan.s (alan)
Looks great!

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds