Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Catching fish

More
27 Sep 2010 17:05 #1 by michaelangello (Michael)
Ok im goin to do a bit of a clearout of fish in my tank because its over stocked and i wanna put one or two real unusual lookers in there. Only problem is that i cant catch any of them!

Ive tried the coke bottle trick but kept catching the same yellow tang. The fish i wanna get rid of are 2x pyjama cardinals, a kenya angel and maybe a flame hawk fish.

The cardinals are too stupid to go near the bottle but seem to be well aware of a fish net and the angel is a way too smart to even come out when the bottle goes in.

I feel like the only thing i can do is leave them because im not pulling the tank apart to get them and they are just too sneaky!

Any good tips would be well apriciated and could save on a lot of tears and spilled water!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
28 Sep 2010 12:23 #2 by daveoirl (David McGovern)
To be honest, it can be next to impossible to catch fish in a tank full of rock. I would have suggested removing the rock and then trying, but that obviously isn't an option so I'm afraid I can't offer any more advise.

More
28 Sep 2010 14:36 #3 by mickdeja (Mick Whelan)
If u can get someone else to give u a hand with another net, the extra net can be a guider to manoevure the fish into the part of the tank that u can catch the fish. I have in the past used plastic tank dividers to trap the fish into a particular part of the tank again. Always easier when u get a helpin hand from a mate. Hope this helps.

Mick.......:)

Follow me up to Carlow

More
28 Sep 2010 14:59 #4 by dyco619 (steve carmody)
what i do is, put the net into the tank between the rocks and the glass and wait for awhile for the fish to settle and stand to one side and drop in small bits of food in front of the net, also if you bend the handle of the net so that it can press square against the glass, then its just a waiting game,
just wait your selected fish to pass and then pin it against the glass,
that works for me, a big net does help 8"x6"
hope this helps

More
28 Sep 2010 16:21 #5 by Rummy (Stephen)
Replied by Rummy (Stephen) on topic Re:Catching fish
Hey Michael

I had one of my africans holding and have been trying to catch her for 3 days i have a lot of rock in the tank and taking it all out wasnt an option.

I built a clear plastic box with a swing door on it left the door open and kept my fingers crossed the holding female would swim in and as i was reading ur post she swam in i jumped up closed the door on the clear plastic box and then netted her.

HAPPY DAYS!!!!!!!!

maybe give it a go it worked for me

Stephen.

• john gannon (john gannon)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
28 Sep 2010 20:23 #6 by john gannon (john gannon)
Replied by john gannon (john gannon) on topic Re:Catching fish
hi michael if i were you id get a proper fish trap and leave it in the tank for a couple of days and let the fish get accustomed to it after a couple of days bait it and if the yellow tang goes in take him out put him in a bucket keep warm and go fishin g again .be wairy the fish you want to catch is always last in
john

More
28 Sep 2010 23:57 #7 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Some clever ideas there for sure but if you want it done quickly I gotta agree withe Dave. Strip it out, net them and be done with it. If time isnt a factor then by all means try one of the methods above. Im an inpatient git though...:)

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds