Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

stupid question! i think...

More
18 Oct 2010 19:57 #1 by peter (peter campbell)
just curious is it possible to run an aquarium without LR???:unsure:
has anyone ever tried it or s it impossible?

reason that im asking is because i have been offered a 100l tank for free with every thing ready to go for freshwater but would like to see just how cheap and basic of a marine tank i could setup..

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• wolfsburg (wolfsburg)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Oct 2010 20:00 #2 by wolfsburg (wolfsburg)
Replied by wolfsburg (wolfsburg) on topic Re:stupid question! i think...
It is completely possible to run a marine without Liverock but you'd want a good test kit and to keep on top of water changes like never before! I wouldn't do it though. It is mostly done in big tanks with more stable parameters.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Oct 2010 20:00 #3 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re:stupid question! i think...
Absolutely, I had one , here's a cool link.

saltaquarium.about.com/od/startinganaquarium/a/aafosystem.htm

Kev

More
18 Oct 2010 20:10 #4 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
I used to run the marine aquaria in a public aquarium without it, and non of my home marine systems ever had it (I don't even know if it were readily available in those days).

Good deep bed air-powered U/G filtration was the order of the day in those days.

So it is possible.

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
18 Oct 2010 20:25 #5 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Absolutely possible bro but BIG wc's are a must. You will need to make up for the lack of lr with excellent biological filtration in the filter but given the tank is a 100ltr this shouldnt be too much of a hassel. Do what you can to overfilter the system and keep stocking levels to a minimum and you will do fine ;) .

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

More
18 Oct 2010 21:18 #6 by peter (peter campbell)
thanks for the replies...
just setup my first marine tank on the weekend and bought 11kg of live rock(100l)..i put some into my TetratecEX600 since then it has started to leak quite heavily from around the seal where the clamps are...i know its very general and you'se probably cant do much with such littlr detail but worth a go

Time to create page: 0.042 seconds