Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Goodbye Freshwater...Hello saltwater

More
30 Jan 2011 22:35 #1 by Gerry The Chip (Gerard)
Set up a 60 ltr marine tank on last Thursday, with existing water from another marine tank have a few kilos of live rock but will be adding a few more and Ph Buffering sand at 8.2.
Salt level is 1.022 and no nitrate, nitrite or ammonia at present, Iv a fluval u2 filter running and im running a juwel pump from a 120ltr tank which is attached to a spraybar to keep the water flowing.

I plan on keepin a few small fish but not sure yet i like stuff like domino damsels,panjama cardinal, Clownfish, false gramma, dancing shrimp yellowtail damsels, stuff tat wont grow too big. How long more do u think i should wait before adding some live stock??? Iv put in 3 blue hermit crabs today and there very active :)If all goes well i might convert my rio 180 later down the line.

Ill try get a picture up tomorro anyway.

Gerry

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• wolfsburg (wolfsburg)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
30 Jan 2011 22:53 #2 by wolfsburg (wolfsburg)
Replied by wolfsburg (wolfsburg) on topic Re: Goodbye Freshwater...Hello saltwater
eeep! Fair play Gerry but the damsels might be better left on the shelf if going into a 60ltr, especially the domino, which actually get quite chunky. Sooner or later it would be like Battle Royale only with fish instead of Japanese teenagers! :blink:

More
30 Jan 2011 23:33 #3 by Gerry The Chip (Gerard)
Cheers for your input man, Yeah jus done some more research and looks like the domino's can get up to 5" may have to give them a miss.

Gerry

• wolfsburg (wolfsburg)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
30 Jan 2011 23:42 #4 by wolfsburg (wolfsburg)
Replied by wolfsburg (wolfsburg) on topic Re: Goodbye Freshwater...Hello saltwater
No problem. The old damsels can be quite pugnacious at the best of times!
Should turn out nice, just do plenty of homework and make sure you post lots of pics! ;)

More
31 Jan 2011 00:17 #5 by alan61979 (Alan)
Green Chromis are an ideal fish for you. It just so happens I've a few for sale at the moment :laugh:

Seriously though, when you are ready for fish, they're ideal.

More
31 Jan 2011 16:31 #6 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)
Nice one gerry I'd love to go marines
Did you get sorted with your fliter?

Mark

More
31 Jan 2011 19:48 #7 by Gerry The Chip (Gerard)
Thanks for the offer Alan, but im looking for something a little less common. Although a Clownfish is as common as it gets haha.

@ Mark I received a replacement but its still very noisy -had to turn if off over night because it was keepin me awake... i contacted them yesterday about replacing it but they want me to send the 2 filters back (which means me paying for postage) before i get a refund. They had told me the first time around they'd arrange for it to be collected!
Looks like im gonna have two noisy filters for the price of one... maybe ill sound proof my cabinet :laugh: :laugh:

Gerry

More
31 Jan 2011 20:05 #8 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)
Jesus gerry that's some bad luck. I hope the marines go better for you :)

More
31 Jan 2011 20:56 #9 by Ieva star (Ieva Fogta)

More
31 Jan 2011 23:38 #10 by joey (joe watson)
TRAITOR!

ah no, fair play man. i'd have my head melted by now, i spend more time researchin fish than sleeping - and thats just freshwater!

get some step-by-step pics up for how you set it up, would be interesting and maybe useful for future reference

More
01 Feb 2011 01:05 #11 by andrewo (andrew)
Welcome to marine joy! i started out 2/3 months ago too but im not giving up my freshwater tanks tho!:laugh:

all the best

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds