Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Curiosity

• paul (paul)
  • paul (paul)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Apr 2011 18:32 #1 by paul (paul)
Curiosity was created by paul (paul)
Hi All

I Have a few questions around the possibilty of setting a fish and Rock tank only

I have at my dissposal a 125 litre tank with T8 lighting 2*24 watt lights
External filter EHEIM 2213 440 liter per hour
and a 200 watt heater

are these pieces of any use if so
would i need to get anything else

would i need to clean out the filter completely maybe get new filter sponges
could i use dead rock or does it have to be live rock

what type of fish would be recomended for this type of set up

Have read up a bit on this and got some advise from my LFS but confidence is a little short in these guys so it would be great to get some opinions from hand om experianced people

these are just questions at the moment and depending on the answeres will determin weather this is possible

Thanks very much

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Apr 2011 18:55 - 04 Apr 2011 19:02 #2 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: Curiosity
Assume you mean Marine fowler?
This means Fish Only Without Live Rock, yes you can and they are easily kept. The external is for mechanical and you can put in fragments of Live Rock, lots of the guys here inc me have kept this kind of set-up.

Kev.
Last edit: 04 Apr 2011 19:02 by stretnik (stretnik).

• paul (paul)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Apr 2011 19:35 #3 by paul (paul)
Replied by paul (paul) on topic Re: Curiosity
Thanks Kevin

Assume you mean Marine fowler? Yep thats the one the name sliped me :lol: :lol:

So would you think i need to get anything extra or am i covered with the equipment that i have.

How did you set yours up

What type tank
what substrate
what decor
what type lighting
what type fish
Do you have any pictures of the set up

Sorry for all the questions

More
04 Apr 2011 20:31 #4 by Turner85 (David Turner)
U shouldn't use sponges in a marine system so you get rid of them altogether and put crushed liverock in the filter with maybe a small bit of floss to keep the water polished. If u choose to use deadrock u will need to seed it with some liverock which will mean longer cycling period. Equipment seems fine, I'd add maybe a power head to get the water moving a bit, skimmer not really necessary in fish only system. That's my thoughts anyway. People here with a lot more knowledge than myself so u might get a better answer

• paul (paul)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Apr 2011 22:07 #5 by paul (paul)
Ok so using dead rock is ok but it will slow the proses of cycling down not to much of a big deal
and i just did the maths on this and if i am wright i think for 125 litre tank i would be looking at 19 kilos of live rock for the tank.

does this sound about wright please feel free to tell me that its to much i wont mind honestly :lol:
at 19 euro a kilo

More
04 Apr 2011 22:38 #6 by Turner85 (David Turner)
Can i ask why do u wanna use dead rock. 19 euro a kilo is expensive. Plus u will want to purchase some liverock to re-seed the dead rock.

• paul (paul)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Apr 2011 22:51 #7 by paul (paul)
Turner85 Said:Can i ask why do u wanna use dead rock. 19 euro a kilo is expensive. Plus u will want to purchase some liverock to re-seed the dead rock

I already have the dead rock along with the tank,lights,filter,I am trying to find out how much of this i can use before i start looking into costing new stuff

More
04 Apr 2011 22:52 #8 by andrewo (andrew)
Replied by andrewo (andrew) on topic Re: Curiosity
hi there. you mean the live rock is 19 euros per kilo? thats expensive ; im sure you could pick some up around 8-9 a kilo. and yes around 20 kgs is great for your set up.i dont think its worth putting dead rock as the cycle is longer you will also use more electricity and TIME for it.

all the best.

• paul (paul)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Apr 2011 22:59 #9 by paul (paul)
Ill have to start travelling further a field i personally think we are very underprivilaged in terms of LFS
i am heavily reliant on a Department store unforunatly

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds