Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

First time marine

• paul .... (paul ....)
  • paul .... (paul ....)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Apr 2011 23:35 - 15 Apr 2011 23:36 #1 by paul .... (paul ....)
First time marine was created by paul .... (paul ....)
A lot of people may already no the score with me but for those who dont , i was keeping cichlids and plecs for the guts of 2 years and recently was suppose to be upgrading the tank for the cichlids as they were to big for it well plans went pair shaped so after a long think about it back and for from a planted setup or marine setup i went for marine i KNOW more money and time is needed but im up for it and the only way to get experience is to try ;) well the past few weeks have just bin dismantling old setups and selling things on and reading a lot about marines iv used the money and ideas i got from selling and reading up on marines to get this far and some great help from gav in fffs hes bin sorting me out big time (cheers gav)!!! Heres a few pics of were im at now i ended up keeping the rio 180 i had and converting it ;)
OLD SETUP WITHOUT ROCKS AND FISH

GOT IT DRAINED AND REMOVED SAND AND CLEANED

WENT AND REMOVED INTERNAL FILTER TOOK AGES :evil:

FULLY CLEANED AND STUCK BLACK VYNLS BACK AND SIDES WITH BABY OIL WORKED GREAT

BLUE ARCADIA LEDS MOUNTED

SOME EQUIPMENT!! i should probably state here that this will be a sumpless system with hang on skimmer and external filter with media striped and replaced with live rock, rowaphos and filter floss, some people may disagree with my media choice others will agree ;)

ABOUT 2 TO 3 WEEKS DOWN THE ROAD SOME MORE PROGRESS EGG CRATE SORTED (might remove it)

SOME GREAT QUALITY LIVE ROCK FROM A WELL MATURED SYSTEM GOT SORTED OUT FROM ANOTHER FISH FREEK :woohoo: CHEERS GER

TANK WAS ALSO FILLED BEFORE ROCK WAS ADDED AND FINALLY

Rocks were only added today so they were just thrown in hope to get some epoxy and arrange them nicely over the weekend also have all the sand but im currently washing it out over the next day or 2 with RO water!!! Well thats me all comments welcome iv a long 6 to 8 weeks to wait before any fish go in here :laugh: ill keep updating this thread as i go along ;)
Cheers Paul ;)
Last edit: 15 Apr 2011 23:36 by paul .... (paul ....).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 Apr 2011 15:43 #2 by alan61979 (Alan)
Is the egg crate raised or sitting on the bottom of the tank?

• paul .... (paul ....)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Apr 2011 18:15 #3 by paul .... (paul ....)
Replied by paul .... (paul ....) on topic Re: First time marine
sitting on the bottom eggcrate is to brittle to be raised holding that much rock plus more to go in ;)
why do you ask?

More
18 Apr 2011 23:05 #4 by alan61979 (Alan)
I thought the purpose of an egg crate was to allow for water movement underneath rocks etc, thus preventing detrius build up. Can't see what advantage it'll have sitting on the aquarium floor.

• paul .... (paul ....)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Apr 2011 23:36 #5 by paul .... (paul ....)
because 10 kilos of rock sitting on a sharp piece of coral under water can create a preasure point and can sometimes lead to a small crack , iv heard some storys so a few quid for piece of mind doesnt bother me iv ndver heard of any1 raising it?? ;)

More
19 Apr 2011 08:15 #6 by fishhead88 (Aaron)
Thats a class looking tank.. any idea what u wanna stock it with yet??

More
19 Apr 2011 09:56 #7 by alan61979 (Alan)
Ah right, you're using it to spread the weight. I thought you were setting up a reef flush system. When you said you were adding sand I guessed the rock would go on the sand and you'd use that to spread the weight. I had a reef flush system before in a previous marine system, it's great for preventing dead spot and keeping detrius from builing up anywhere.

Here's a good example of one, (not mine though)

www.reefcentral.co.uk/showthread.php/118...IY-reef-flush-system

• paul .... (paul ....)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Apr 2011 10:54 #8 by paul .... (paul ....)

Ah right, you're using it to spread the weight. I thought you were setting up a reef flush system. When you said you were adding sand I guessed the rock would go on the sand and you'd use that to spread the weight. I had a reef flush system before in a previous marine system, it's great for preventing dead spot and keeping detrius from builing up anywhere.

Here's a good example of one, (not mine though)

www.reefcentral.co.uk/showthread.php/118...IY-reef-flush-system

Ahh i see good idea as well!! im still not sure about it im paranoid the rock could damage my tank but than again im paranoid the sand wont be shifted enough by snails ,starfish and gobbies etc.... because loads of it will be in the squares everywere i still havent added my sand yet just for this reason!!! im going to have to make my mind up soon enough though ;)

• paul .... (paul ....)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Apr 2011 11:03 - 19 Apr 2011 11:10 #9 by paul .... (paul ....)

Thats a class looking tank.. any idea what u wanna stock it with yet??

Cheers mate ;) so far the fish wish list is as follows
usual cleaning crew Hermit crabs,snails,sand shifting starfish and shrimp
Green mandarin dragonet
Flameing prawn goby
A pair of pure black and white clown fish
Dwarf flame angel
A blennie of some sort
mayby a royal gramma not to sure ye and mayby another dwarf angel depends on how i stock it i hear if you try add them at different times the 1 who has settled into a territory first will rip the other 1 apart should be fully stocked than ;)
Last edit: 19 Apr 2011 11:10 by paul .... (paul ....).

More
19 Apr 2011 11:26 #10 by alan61979 (Alan)
To be honest with you, I wouldn't put sand down on top of the egg crate for the reasons you mentioned. As long as you have a decent covering of sand there's very little risk of rocks cracking the bottom of your tank.

More
19 Apr 2011 11:54 #11 by fishhead88 (Aaron)
sounds deadly man dying to see it when u have it up and running good luck with it

• paul .... (paul ....)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Apr 2011 13:48 #12 by paul .... (paul ....)

To be honest with you, I wouldn't put sand down on top of the egg crate for the reasons you mentioned. As long as you have a decent covering of sand there's very little risk of rocks cracking the bottom of your tank.

Really am back and forth with it at the moment all it takes is 1 sharp piece of coral sand under neath a large rock and the preasure of the water can make the rock act like a drill on the sharp piece of sand :crazy: i think i might remove!!! to be honest if the tank was down stairs i wouldnt care id risk it no problem only its upstairs in a brand new extension we got done and if it cracked it would destroy everything up here and the roof in the kitchen , i hope to have made my mind up before the end of the week (i have to) and should have the tank scaped and filled with the sand ill keep updateing as i go along ;)

• paul .... (paul ....)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Apr 2011 21:36 #13 by paul .... (paul ....)
Small little update!! I was unsure about the eggcrate so went and removed it all together should be fine??
finally found the time to actually do something with the rock today and add my coral sand!
This is the way it looks now but it could change ,never happy ;)

well as i said thats the way it looks now so it could change plus i started on the 14th of this month so still a good bit of time to make any real changes before fish start to go in ;) well there she is , it will do me ;)

More
23 Apr 2011 22:11 #14 by andrewo (andrew)
Looking good; nice imagination for the rockwork too :)

• paul .... (paul ....)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Apr 2011 22:57 #15 by paul .... (paul ....)

Looking good; nice imagination for the rockwork too :)

Cheers man ;)

More
24 Apr 2011 08:27 #16 by mickdeja (Mick Whelan)
Keep up the good work Paul. Are u starting with fish first and then down the line with some corals?

Mick...:)

Follow me up to Carlow

• paul .... (paul ....)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Apr 2011 09:49 #17 by paul .... (paul ....)
Cheers mick ;) i think im going to be adding both slowly whenever i can ;)

• paul .... (paul ....)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 May 2011 19:25 #18 by paul .... (paul ....)
Went ahead and hit the big elephant piece a smack of a hammer :cheer: got some nice over hangs out of it and a nice bowl ,brilliant for coral placement in my opinion!!Still the same idea no rock touching any glass what so ever lots of room for waterflow im finished moveing it around shes done ;) enjoy

• paul .... (paul ....)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 May 2011 14:42 #19 by paul .... (paul ....)
Threads a bit dead hear but ill update it anyway ;) just over 3 weeks now first wc done added some turbo snails a cleaner shrimp and feather duster worms real cool things some pics nothing special ;)

More
09 May 2011 15:20 #20 by denverbre (Denver Breslin)
Looks great Paul!

Looking forward to more updates as you stock it up!
Wish I had the €€ and the patience for Marine keeping myself!

• paul .... (paul ....)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 May 2011 15:36 #21 by paul .... (paul ....)
Cheers man dont worry as long as there is something there 2 take pics of ill be there with the camera ;) I was the same as yourself thinking of the money and time needed but to be honest man once your setup its cheap as chips its just getting it setup that hits the pocket and it might take a little bit longer than a freshwater tank to setup and stocked but it looks twenty times better and the characters in marine fish in my opinion are much better to freshwater fish but thats just me :cheer: im still heavy into the fw stuff as well and hope to have 1 setup again soon ;)

More
09 May 2011 18:42 #22 by dar (darren curry)
quick question, would the 205 provide suitable filtration for your set up? are you happy with it or would you be looking to increase the size of your filtration?. it is a lovely set up and a cracking thread. cheers

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic

• paul .... (paul ....)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 May 2011 19:44 #23 by paul .... (paul ....)
Cheers man ;) no not at all the live rock is the filter in a marine tank you dont even need a mechanical filter like that its just a bonus , i have live rock in the filter plus the outflow is good for the waterflow in the tank ;)

• paul .... (paul ....)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 May 2011 15:18 #24 by paul .... (paul ....)
Small update on the go here nothing major yet still no corals but found myself a lovely pair of pure black and white ocellaris clowns the females already fully black and white she just needs to darken a little and the male still has a little orange on the face but it wont take long for him to mature black like the female ;) Also picked up a blenny (flymo blenny) this little guys great full of character!! I have a pic or 2 but i took them with the phone so bare with me B)

Should more than likely be leaving stocked like that for another week or 2 to see how well the water params take to them and as you know yourself ill go from there ;)

More
15 May 2011 16:09 #25 by andrewo (andrew)
Nice pics there mate; hows the water parameters doing? what test kit are you using atm?

• paul .... (paul ....)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 May 2011 17:07 - 15 May 2011 19:08 #26 by paul .... (paul ....)
The test kit im useing at the moment is a nutrafin 1 and nitrite are o amonia 0 ,nitrate 20ppm ph is 8.2 i had it tested aswell with salifert test kits everything was fine 2 ;) i dont have any corals yet so the nitrates are fine at that level im going to change the rowaphose this week see if that helps ;)
Last edit: 15 May 2011 19:08 by paul .... (paul ....).

More
15 May 2011 18:41 #27 by mickdeja (Mick Whelan)
Lookin great Paul, keep up the good work and keep us posted dude.

Follow me up to Carlow

• paul .... (paul ....)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 May 2011 19:09 #28 by paul .... (paul ....)

Lookin great Paul, keep up the good work and keep us posted dude.

Cheers mick ;) i can see you turning to the salty side :woohoo:

More
15 May 2011 19:57 #29 by andrewo (andrew)
Thats great mate; i suppose you cant wait to get the corals in now :)
but you are right to wait till everything is perfect; i learnt it the hard way :crazy:

More
25 May 2011 22:35 #30 by harpurM (Harpur Morrison)

The test kit im useing at the moment is a nutrafin 1 and nitrite are o amonia 0 ,nitrate 20ppm ph is 8.2 i had it tested aswell with salifert test kits everything was fine 2 ;) i dont have any corals yet so the nitrates are fine at that level im going to change the rowaphose this week see if that helps ;)

Tank lookin good m8, plenty of ledges for corals to sit. Rowaphos will absorb any phosphate and not the nitrate you would need the new type pellets in a reactor to reduce nitrate but yours is not too bad. Patience is the key, leave the system to balance and mature allowing the LR to get working (1kg LR to 10 liter of water). I know reefers who have added two dwarf angels at the same time of the same size and both got on ok , they sorted there own territory out and kept to it. Remember WAIT, WAIT and to be sure WAIT a little more to ensure good results.

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds