Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

My first marine tank

More
05 Jun 2011 19:15 #1 by Jambomac (James McConville)
I just got my first marine tank up and running and everything sounds so much more daunting than it has been so far. I've had invertebrates in it for the past 2 weeks and just added my fish its boyu TL-550 128 litre.

inhabitants consist of:
10 blue leg hermits crabs(probably a few missing)
8 turbo snails
1 nasarius snail
1 emerald crab
1 upside down crab
1 cleaner shrimp
1 red starfish + 13kgs live rock 20lbs live sand

Fish: 2 yellow stripe maroon clowns
copperband butterfly fish and pollyps

just wondering what other fish do think i could get in my tank as the others i wanted was a yellow tang
and yellow zoster butterfly but they are possibly to big.

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.”

quote Bruce Lee

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Jun 2011 19:27 #2 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re: My first marine tank
Moved post to Marine Aquariums as it was posted in the wrong category :)

Valerie

More
05 Jun 2011 20:25 #3 by andrewo (andrew)
congrats there; you are right tangs would need minimum 5 feet or preferable more. maybe try the dwarf angel species which are very colourful too like the flame angel/coral beauty.all the best :)

More
05 Jun 2011 22:36 #4 by Jambomac (James McConville)
thanks valerie for moving me jumped the gun with posting . i've seen the angels and they are pretty cool but its just the threat they to the invertebrates the copperband butterfly probably bad enough although he doesn't seem to eat when i feed the fish the first one to get food is the cleaner shrimp. now he has been eating something and seems to have settled in already although he did get a shock when the cleaner shrimp tried to jump on his back as soon let him go. do copperband butterfly not like mysis shrimp(frozen)

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.”

quote Bruce Lee

More
05 Jun 2011 23:32 #5 by andrewo (andrew)
dont worry; soon the fish will go to the cleaner shrimp when its in need of a clean :) but i know what you mean; my cleaner shrimp is just like yours-jumps on tankmates a little too gung ho; but down the line the fishes will appreciate its services.

as far as i know my flame angel shows no interest in my inverts or corals.

if the copperbands not taking the frozen mysis; i would personally entice it with some live food first to get it going. all the best; some new pics soon? :)

More
06 Jun 2011 13:56 #6 by Jambomac (James McConville)

quote Bruce Lee
Attachments:

More
06 Jun 2011 14:10 #7 by Jambomac (James McConville)

quote Bruce Lee
Attachments:

More
06 Jun 2011 14:15 #8 by Jambomac (James McConville)

quote Bruce Lee
Attachments:

More
06 Jun 2011 14:19 #9 by Jambomac (James McConville)

quote Bruce Lee
Attachments:

More
06 Jun 2011 14:23 #10 by Jambomac (James McConville)

quote Bruce Lee
Attachments:

More
06 Jun 2011 14:32 #11 by Jambomac (James McConville)

quote Bruce Lee
Attachments:

More
06 Jun 2011 14:34 #12 by Jambomac (James McConville)
Could somebody give me the proper name for this crab as all i know his as an upside down crab and can't find any info on him.

quote Bruce Lee

More
06 Jun 2011 21:24 #13 by Patrick888 (Patrick Drummey)
Possibly Percnon gibbesi (Sally Lightfoot)but quite difficult to tell with the pic provided. A better pic if possible may help.....

More
07 Jun 2011 18:26 #14 by Jambomac (James McConville)

quote Bruce Lee
Attachments:

More
07 Jun 2011 18:41 #15 by Jambomac (James McConville)
Here he is at feeding time:

quote Bruce Lee

More
07 Jun 2011 21:24 #16 by andrewo (andrew)
nice video; where did you get the crab you said? the only thing close to it i have seen is a banded porcelain crab (a variation of porcellanella picta).

More
07 Jun 2011 22:42 #17 by Jambomac (James McConville)
Got him from seahorse aquarium and he was just referred to as an upside down crab

quote Bruce Lee

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds