Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Pond with no filter system!!

More
12 Jul 2011 18:35 #1 by ger310 (Ger .)
Alright lads,looking for some advice about my sisters pond

She has this pond roughly 9/10 months but has no filter in place....it's 5 feet in width and has 5 potted Oxygenating plants(she don't remember the name) and 4 5/6inch Goldfish in there and thats it,
She says she has never done anything to the pond except throw food in maybe once a week.......i havn't seen the pond myself so i have to take her word when she says the fish look great and the water is clear(gets a bit murky occasionally) but my question is.....Is she asking for trouble some time soon or has she just fluked nature???

Cheers

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2011 18:56 #2 by pkearney (Phil Kearney)
hello ger.
iv kept a pond like that for years. as long as you dont feed or overfeed you can strike a balance with the plants. iv only 2 goldfish at the moment.i have some spare oxygenating plants if you want some.
phil.

More
12 Jul 2011 19:17 #3 by ger310 (Ger .)
Thanks Phil,
I had a feeling it must be ok if she's had no problems after 10 months but still had a niggling doubt in me mind trouble wasn't far away,but me minds at ease now cheers
Thanks man for the plant offer but she lives out in the sticks these days and i have no way of getting them to her but thanks again

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Jul 2011 17:53 - 13 Jul 2011 17:54 #4 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: Pond with no filter system!!
It's kinda like those self sufficient Shrimp setups where they are enclosed in a bulb, it's a cycle thing in near perfect balance, so, add more than enough Food or another Fish and expect changes, I was lucky too and had a thriving Pond for years but as Frogs and Fish increased, filamentous Algae became a problem but I just made a Triton out of a Bamboo stick and twisted it in the Algae, it came out a treat.

Kev.
Last edit: 13 Jul 2011 17:54 by stretnik (stretnik).

More
13 Jul 2011 18:57 #5 by christyg (Chris Geraghty)
You dont say how deep it it is, any water movement? pump maybe? Water will evaporate from a pond specially in warm weather, is it being replaced? You say its 9/10 months, so it 'survived' the terrible winter we had?? Need more info :)

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Jul 2011 19:08 #6 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: Pond with no filter system!!
I really don't think anything matters, depth, degrees of cold experienced, it's just a perfect case of it ain't broke , don't fix it, deal with the problems should they occur, just do a weekly check on it to see if anything is changing, adding Tap Water can lead to Algal blooms so only add if the water drops to the point where it is affecting things...... Watch for gasping at the surface as an indicator of O2 deficiency, also a note.. on warm days where o2 isn't a problem, your Fish may disappear, this is as a result of them heading down to cooler water

Kev.

More
13 Jul 2011 19:38 #7 by christyg (Chris Geraghty)
Goldfish will survive freezing temps once they have a minimum depth of @2 1/2 feet. I foumd this out to my(and the fishes) cost when my pond level dropped last winter, due to a leak. They survived happilly the winter before. I dont believe 'murky water' is a healthy environment for goldfish. It would be interesting to see the results of a water test Ammonia, nitrate, nitrite etc.

Time to create page: 0.044 seconds