Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Sudden bio overload.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • stretnik (stretnik)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Sep 2011 21:59 #1 by stretnik (stretnik)
Sudden bio overload. was created by stretnik (stretnik)
How does a sudden bio-overload affect a Filter and how does this interim period adversely affect the Fauna in an Aquarium? How long does it take for a Filter to catchup?

Kev.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2011 22:50 #2 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
It all depends on the level of overload and the capacity of the filters to buffer against an overload.

I'll give a quick possible outcome....not that any of this is necessarily of any practical use in any one case study:

increased bio-load will increase the Biological Oxygen Demand.....that will affect the aerobic activity in the filters.
Some of the bacteria in the filter system working on nitrosofication may be facultative aerobes and so may start to work under anaerobic conditions: now that may just about keep them alive until oxygen levels rise again.

However, many of the bacteria will die through lack of osygen.

Then the increased bioload will increase substrates for the biological filters to work upon....and produce an increased levels of nitrites/nitous acid or nitrates/nitric acid, and may even start to work in reverse to produce ammonia from previously oxidised ammonia (not good).
The ammonia is toxic to the bacteria in the filter, and the increase in nitric and nitrous acid will cause a drop in pH...... that drop in pH will not only affect the fish but will affect the filter bacteria.

As the filter bacteria die, then they will add to the decay bioload and increase the Biological Oxygen Demand. etc etc and that is adding to the initial problem.

That is looking at one extremity. The reality depends on the level of the load and how mature and stable the filters are.

The bacteria involved in nitrosofication (ammonia to nitrite) will rapidly get a hold again in the tank; the nitrification bacteria (nitrite to nitrate) take a lot longer (several weeks) to re-establish and are the more sensitive in the commonly talked about bacteria in the filter.
The fuller maturity can take 6 to 9 months to be fully enoculated to cope with a fish tank.

If I had a biol-overload then I would instantly get my ammonia and nitrate removing resins, and do some water changes, and use a bottle of bacteria and then take things easy for while.

Ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.031 seconds