Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Seachem Purigen

More
29 Aug 2012 18:11 #1 by antoblfc (Anthony Behan)
Recently heard about this seachem purigen for improving water quality and clarity.According to any websites i have visited this gear is the dogs proverbial.As well as a water polishing agent it keeps any nitrate and nitrites at very good levels.But it was the polishing agent i was interested in.So off to seahorse i went today and picked me some up.2 100ml bags to do up to 800ltrs.Popped into both my filters ext and int.I have always strugled with water clarity and never had crystal clear water despite all my eforts.So lets see if this product lives up to its reppitation.Does anyone have any experiance with this product and what are your viwes. On another note i have been noticing small particals suspended in the water which i presumed were algae of sorts and added Phosphate filter media to my filter about 2 weeks ago.However they still seem to be there any ideas. (180ltr tank with 2 filters ext jbl e900 1 internal.1000lph.coral substrate 13 cichlids most which are 2" or less.1 X50% water change and two 25% every week.All water parimaters are good according to test strips and kits)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
29 Aug 2012 20:36 #2 by BillG (Bill Gray)
Replied by BillG (Bill Gray) on topic Seachem Purigen
Never used Seachem Purigen myself, so cannot comment on it. Would definitely be interested in hearing how you get on with it.
Regarding the small suspended particles in the water, this could simply be fish waste being forces through the filter and back into the tank. I had this on tanks in the past until i added really fine filter wool as a last stage in the filter. If its more noticeable after doing a clean out of your filter media, then definitely the case. What media do you have in the filter? and how do you have them stacked in the filter?

Cheers,

Bill.

More
29 Aug 2012 21:04 #3 by antoblfc (Anthony Behan)
Filter media in the jbl e900 is the products supplied with it apart from one of there add on media bags for reducing the growth of algae (Phosphate Remover).The media in the internal has standard carbon sponge coarse sponge & since today one of the 100ml Purigen which is also in the top of the of the e900.As regarding order of media they are stacked as shown on the instructions.The purigen is ment to be plcaed were the highest flow rate is in the filter which i asume is the top.(Have watched youtube video of were to place). I will deffo keep you informed......PS by any chance did you happen to reserve some of this product with seahorse as there was a label marked reserved for Bill on it. (Which i did point out to staff).

More
29 Aug 2012 21:55 #4 by mech1 (pat bell)
Replied by mech1 (pat bell) on topic Seachem Purigen
I would hazzard a guess that they where reserved for me "bell".

I went to collect two reserved packs but was informed by the staff that it is possibly bad for planted tanks so I left it, we had a little thread on it last week.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...8809-seachem-purigen

Pat.

Knocklyon 2 min from J12 M50

More
30 Aug 2012 11:36 #5 by antoblfc (Anthony Behan)
Ok Pat i taught i may have done you out of yours lol.Anyway less than 24 hours on and after putting them in i have noticed a considerable differnce.The cloudy water has dissipated and the water seems to be getting a lot clearer almomst like it is been polished.Will be doing a couple of test later and will post the results.But so far 2 thumbs up for Seachem Purigen.

Time to create page: 0.038 seconds