Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

German blue ram

More
31 Aug 2012 14:34 #1 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
Just noticed a couple of white spots on this lad,o think it's getting worse cause he only had one yesterday and now he has two,if any one could give me an idea what this might be?

Anyone with a aquarium can keep fish,
But it takes real skill to be a fish keeper,

And it's spongeBob,
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple under the sea
BLANCHARDSTOWN
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2012 14:36 #2 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
It's the two spots over his left eye or the right-hand side if your looking at him.

And it's spongeBob,
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
31 Aug 2012 16:26 #3 by maggy88 (Wayne Mc Glynn)
looks like white spot, could be a fungal infection either. looks more like whitespot though. i've noticed that most of the gbr's in my lfs' seem to be infected in this way.

More
31 Aug 2012 16:43 #4 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
So what to do now? Should I remove him? I know they don't take well to meds and treatments,is it infectious to the rest of my fish?

And it's spongeBob,
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
31 Aug 2012 17:21 #5 by maggy88 (Wayne Mc Glynn)
have a google of it, they recommend raising the temp in the tank, from what i remember there is a cycle where the white spot is visible on the fish then it clears up when the disease/parasite releases itself from the fish to reproduce and while it's reproducing is when you need to use the treatments. i'm not 100 per cent sure how best to treat it but i'm sure other people on here are more knowledgable than me. give google a shot while your waiting. sorry i can't be any more help. good luck with it and i hope everything works out for ya.

wayne

More
31 Aug 2012 19:14 #6 by ger310 (Ger .)
Replied by ger310 (Ger .) on topic German blue ram
It don't look like white spot to me but then again........could yeh possibly get a better picture up?

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
31 Aug 2012 19:25 #7 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
Sorry Ger the camera on this phone isn't great,what do you think it might be?

And it's spongeBob,
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
31 Aug 2012 19:38 #8 by ger310 (Ger .)
Replied by ger310 (Ger .) on topic German blue ram
well i don't know from that picture,the spots look too big for white spot (although i know they can clump up) but pictures can be a bit deceiving at times so i wouldn't like to rule it out......it could be a skin infection caused by many things......if you can quarantine then great....add some salt to the water...i know sensitive soft water fish don't tolerate too much salt so i hope one of the experienced people on here could give a dosage....3tsp per gallon i just read but that could be wrong so hold that thought

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
31 Aug 2012 21:08 #9 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
dont think its whitespot or ich as its known, it could be a fungal infection, try this link it gives pics of fungus and treatments for it
badmanstropicalfish.com/fish_palace/trop...on_1.html#Bodyfungus

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
01 Sep 2012 08:47 - 01 Sep 2012 08:49 #10 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
I agree with Sheag, Ive kept these Rams before and always struggled with them. Fungal infections or indeed more open sores even. Ive had that problem with them for years.I couldnt determine whether it was something that was within my tank already,or the stock of Rams came from Asia. However I varied the source of the Rams before also and still struggled to determine what caused this problem. I no longer keep Rams as a result of it, some would survive a year and get it, others could get it after 6 months. I had them breeding also and they still contacted it. I believe it could be some source of a virus thats within the stock thats coming out of the Asian markets but I could be complety wrong. I tried numberous treatments and it didnt work. None of my other fish contacted it, and I used to treat the tank but to no effect. It wasnt unusual sometimes for the white spot / bump to recede also, but to eventually resurface at some point. Id probably describe it as a literal white spot like the ones we would get ourselfs. A slight raised bump with a core in the middle looking like its about to burst. So its not the white spot disease, which if it was you could easily treat.

I hope your Ram makes it, I found mine would eat fine and everything with it until eventually the sore would get exposed and it would finally die. Heres hoping Im wrong.

Gavin
Last edit: 01 Sep 2012 08:49 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner).

More
01 Sep 2012 09:53 #11 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
I think you may be on to something there,I purchased two rams from one of my lfs a couple of weeks ago,the female died the next day,so I went back and told the guy what happened,and he gave me another two for half price,a gold female and a gbr male,got them home and the female looked like she had a crooked mouth,she died a couple of days later,now the male in the picture isn't well,now like you say he's eating well but the sores seem to be getting worse.so it may be a case of euthanasia which I'm dreading

And it's spongeBob,
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
01 Sep 2012 09:58 #12 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
If you can get some Furanol 2 from JBL, it might work, isolate the fish in a dish and treat...worth a try.

Gavin

More
01 Sep 2012 10:32 #13 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic German blue ram
Gavin's right, I have, sadly, witnessed this malady all too often with Far Eastern Dwarf Cichlids (and Gouramis too), but especially Rams.
I think it's a viral infection and have never been able to save any fish which has developed these symptoms, although I have never tried the medication he is suggesting.
John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

Time to create page: 0.053 seconds