Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Indian Almond Catappa Bark

More
21 Feb 2013 08:33 #1 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
Does anyone on here have any knowledge about this ?
How much does it hep to reduce the ph level in a tank and is it worth using it ?
I have used catappa leafs and still do is the bark much stronger ?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
21 Feb 2013 08:59 #2 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
hi Ceech, long time no hear from

well i can only say by my experience that i use 1 strip of the bark in a tank i would normally place 4 large leaves in for the same effect, it is good stuff but i really prefer the effect the leaves give and my bristlenoses, ottos and plecs prefer to munch on the leaves but seem to leave the bark alone, i guess it really is a case of try it and see

Seamus

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
21 Feb 2013 09:11 #3 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
Have you tried the new product from EasyLife, EASY LIFE CATAPPA-X ? Its a liquid dose

More
21 Feb 2013 10:36 #4 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
tell me more, never heard of it

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
21 Feb 2013 10:39 #5 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)

Easy-Life Catappa-X is a liquid catappa leaves concentrate for fish and shrimps in fresh water aquaria. Leaves from the Catappa tree are known for their healing effect on fish and shrimp: they lower germ density (less pathogens), prevent fungal infections, improve growth, prevent problems with the slime coat and situmlate the vitality and colouring of shrimp and fish. The disadvantage is often that these leaves turn the water brown and bring additional organic impurities. Easy-Life Catappa-X do not have these disadvantages, but it has all the advantages. The aquarium water remains clear, while the vitality and color of fish and shrimp improved.
Dosage Easy-Life Catappa-X:
normal dose: 10 ml on 100 litres of aquarium water weekly.
Attachments:

More
21 Feb 2013 11:17 #6 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
Hey sheag,
Ya life has been very busy for me.
I have 1 month off now so i will be all fished up when the woman gives me the chance he he.
Ya i though as much that the leaves are as good and i have thousands of them :-)
i will stick with them.

Crusty thanks for info ,but as always i am not a fan of products life these i prefer to go the natural route and have something to look at that will also help the fish for health and ph somewhat.
Des

More
21 Feb 2013 12:02 #7 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
Its 100% natural Ceech. Like you I don't go chemical products at all.

More
21 Feb 2013 12:12 #8 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
interesting, i will have a look into it and see how much it costs in this rip off country.

More
21 Feb 2013 12:28 #9 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
about €10 to €100000000..................

More
21 Feb 2013 13:52 #10 by ger310 (Ger .)
I use this bark a fair bit now(probably because i have a fair bit to use up ha) and any affect on reducing PH from what i've noticed has being minimal..........It's much higher in concentration than the leaves,1 gram of bark to 80/100L of water i think is the recommodation.
I always break off a bit now and drop it in fry tanks but i can't say i have noticed any difference to be honest but i know it can be doing only good if it's doing anything.

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds