Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

readings of marine tank water gone south!

More
06 Jan 2014 22:24 #1 by iknowkungfu (chris)
Hi All
Have been running my marine tank for nearly 3 years have lps , 1 sps and some sofites, the problem i have I have been battling over the last few weeks with the calcium, alk and Mag.
I have used supplements to get the reading right managed to get things up but after a few days they are all down again, its starting to get abit expensive becuase these bottles are not cheap.
I tank seems fine ...well as i can see..but thats not the truth whats happening in the water.
I have tested the water again my alk was high now down to 2.8..1.02 on salfet test
Mag is hanging around 1000 on red sea it does not matter how much supplement i put in its stuck on this
and Calcium is around 400 to 420 on api also does not shift on how much calc i put in water.
I have been using kal in the water i dont know if this is effecting all my reading.
I would love some suggestions because it should not be this hard do i need to do a large water change ,,or too stressful on corals.
Im usually good at keep this tank its 125 litres and have a large skimmer and does nopox for carbon.
help please?
Should i leave everything alone to see if it all balances out or take action?
Thanks
:unsure:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
08 Jan 2014 19:40 #2 by iknowkungfu (chris)
just to inform you managed to get the readings in check was not dosing enough magnesium ,,, since it got the readings up everything else hopefully is up will monitor this over the weeks to see what drops first.
:)

More
08 Jan 2014 20:04 #3 by SSS (Sion S)
Can be difficult managing Calcium Magnesium etc. Sometimes you just have to add little by little and test in between each addition until everything lines up again.

More
20 Jan 2014 23:40 #4 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
I found that not using test kits from the same brand as the salt would give different readings, I use red sea salt and if I tested the water with dd kits it was not the same as the red sea kits found this out when I tested with both within mins. Tried it on a few different days and my theory was correct so I'm a big believer of using the the same brands together and all is good

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

Time to create page: 0.042 seconds