Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Phosphates???????

More
13 Apr 2014 10:25 #1 by markoneill26 (Mark O'Neill)
Hi

i tested my phosphates and it is at 0.34 to 0.64 ppm. and my Nitrate is at 15ppm ...i was wondering what is the correct reading i should be going for. 180 litre tank.external filter aquis one 1250, 30kg of live rock , few inverts and 4 fish, clown fish,damseal,foxface and goby ,i feed them 1 capsuleof the frozen food per day, What is best method to bring phosphates down.

i want to get coral soon.
thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 Apr 2014 10:37 #2 by SSS (Sion S)
Replied by SSS (Sion S) on topic Phosphates???????
One tip to help with phosphates when you're feeding frozen food is to defrost it first and strain it through a sieve to get rid of the dirty water. Small tip but every little helps.

More
14 Apr 2014 10:48 #3 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)

One tip to help with phosphates when you're feeding frozen food is to defrost it first and strain it through a sieve to get rid of the dirty water. Small tip but every little helps.

Thats a good tip,for both fresh and salt water.
In the past I have dosed with vodka, and have also used NP Bio-Pellets,
There is a link between Phosphates and Nitrates, I am no chemist,
but I have noticed that when Nitrate levels are reduced, the phosphate levels are too.
Have a look at these links
reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/
www.marineaquariumsa.com/water-parameter...-dosing-warning.html

More
14 Apr 2014 17:15 #4 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
You shouldn't be feeding frozen every day and when you do you should also rinse it with ro water or tank water cause it's ridiculously high in phosphates
If you add jbl micromec to your external you will see your nitrates and phosphates drop big time

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
14 Apr 2014 20:57 #5 by markoneill26 (Mark O'Neill)

You shouldn't be feeding frozen every day and when you do you should also rinse it with ro water or tank water cause it's ridiculously high in phosphates
If you add jbl micromec to your external you will see your nitrates and phosphates drop big time[/quote
thanks for the idea on the micromec,, can i get this in seahorse?? And what do i replace it with in my filter?? Also on the food. I wanna mix it up a bit.. What other food should i get instead of frozen? Thanks for your hel

More
14 Apr 2014 23:21 #6 by ck1 (chris)
Replied by ck1 (chris) on topic Phosphates???????
Red Sea nopox is good had good success with it

More
15 Apr 2014 10:27 #7 by jonmac (Jon McNamee)
Had bad phosphate issue and used SilikaEx by JBL.

Very quick and efficient.

'Its not the years honey, its the milage'
Dunshaughlin, Meath.

More
15 Apr 2014 17:37 #8 by markoneill26 (Mark O'Neill)
thanks for the idea on the micromec,, can i get this in seahorse?? And what do i replace it with in my filter?? Also on the food. I wanna mix it up a bit.. What other food should i get instead of frozen? Thanks for your help

More
15 Apr 2014 20:15 #9 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
I've being using micromec for about 18mts now and it's always kept both nitrates and phosphate from wrecking me head and I don't get any algae which is a plus
Yeah you can get it s/h it's not that dear
When i was using an external all I had it it was floss to polish the water and micromec I ran this fir over a year and it was perfect (recommended by Dan in s/h) when i was starting
Even now my sump only has floss skimmer uv micromec, heaters return pump
Once a week would be fine for frozen food sometimes I give it twice some weeks not at all
Once a week I use new era aegis flakes
Twice a week I feed new era marine pellets
3 days a week I feed new era algae flakes and marine flakes, when feeding flakes I feed 2-3 times a day a few flakes each
Every second day i also have ocean nutrition seaweed select green and the brown on a veggie clip for their breakfast ha
All of this can be gotten at sh
All my fish have a pot belly better for them if they ever get sick or having a bad day i dont have to worry about them being hungry

Hope this helps

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
15 Apr 2014 20:22 #10 by markoneill26 (Mark O'Neill)
Cheers for that Jeff. Ill be going straight to SH after work tomorrow..just one last quick question... In my filter i have 3 stages. One with wool and sponge. Second with sponge and ceramic stones. And third is sponge and ceramic stones. so should i replace the ceramic stones with the micro mec ,,and get rid of the sponges and use wool to replace them. Thanks again jeff

More
15 Apr 2014 21:10 #11 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
No probs mate
Basically what you have in your filter is a nitrate factory perfect for sorting out ammonia and nitrite but when it comes to the nitrate stage their is nothing their to break it down and it builds up until the media is rinsed out and a water change is done which is only a good system for freshwater tanks
Add the micromec for about a week with half the media in it half and half what's in their, thus will start to seed the micromec then just run micromec and floss never run the floss for more than a week at a time as this becomes a nitrate factory and weakens the micromec, I kept the micromec clean and I never had to change it in a year, I'm still using it 18mts later just added more for the bigger tank, I will refresh just less than half each year to keep it fresh

Time to create page: 0.053 seconds