Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Adding Red Sea Mag to reef

More
23 Sep 2014 17:49 #1 by iknowkungfu (chris)
Hi have been trying to rase the magnesium in my reef over the past few weeks by using the red sea powder but I have noticed it seems to make my ultra zoes close up dont know why so stopped it 2 weeks back and went back to my weekly small water changes some open up and other dont I know its the change in water chemistry but how do I add these if i need to without pissing off my zoes. Adding calcium and alk buffer their ok and my mags hang around 1300 plus , I dont have a sumps so its direct into the display slowly, Also i only was increasing my mags around 50ppm
tx

:unsure:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
26 Sep 2014 06:07 #2 by Kmd (Keith mc donagh)
Hi, what are the rest of your perameters like? 1300+ mag does not sound bad to me. What number are you aiming for?

I did read somewere that zoas do not like it added to the display tank, but cant remember were :blink:

Maybe try dosing less? Or adding mag to your new mix of saltwater before you do a change?

Also what salt do you use?

More
27 Sep 2014 11:30 #3 by iknowkungfu (chris)
ya think zoes dont like neat mag added to tank ya good thought might add the extra mag to the salt mix because i only do a small weekly water change from now on. I use the o2 ocean from DD think mags are on box around 1340, My tank is mainly zoes and a few lps but might have to cater for the zoes when changing para.
thnks

More
27 Sep 2014 20:29 #4 by Kmd (Keith mc donagh)
Your welcome. Zoas and a few lps would't use much mag, or at least so little that water changes would keep it good. Is mag droping in your tank?

More
02 Oct 2014 19:15 #5 by iknowkungfu (chris)
sorry so late getting back to you yes mags were dropping but think that was before my weekly small water changes keeping up with them so things should even balance out in a few weeks the only thing i add now is the alk buffer

More
03 Oct 2014 21:32 #6 by Kmd (Keith mc donagh)
Ya alk drops very easy in my system to. Then the calcium started to drop a couple of weeks after that. And my mags stay fine with water changes. But then again not every tank acts in the same way.

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds