Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Feeding after dark

More
08 Jan 2016 00:00 #1 by stevebreslin (Stephen Breslin)
I recently bought some a marine grazer (basically nori). The instructions state that uneaten food should be removed before lights out. This got me thinking - is it bad to feed the tank after lights out? What does it matter? I often feed after main lights out, moonlights on.

I have a 180 L reef rank with about 10 fish, shrimp, crabs, snails, soft corals, one lps.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
08 Jan 2016 08:57 #2 by robert (robert carter)
hi ,I know my tank is tropical not marine but I feed 3 times a day using a automatic feeder, 8am lights are off , 2pm lights are on ,8pm lights are on ,. then after lights out 10pm I put catfish wafers and slice of cucumber into tank . I am not saying this is the right way but it works well for me . incidently the 3 feeds are smallish and eaten within a minute of feeding

More
09 Jan 2016 20:55 #3 by carlowchris (chris)
I use that stuff only use it once every two weeks and cut the thing in half using a Stanley bade.

Cause it separate s in to such small bits and fish have a habbit of only munching on one side of it before it falls off the ring.....I suppose New era advise it be used with lights on so fish can see the food and not polluting the tank

More
09 Jan 2016 22:14 #4 by stevebreslin (Stephen Breslin)
Thanks. Yeah that stuff is rubbish, ends up falling off the peg and falling behind the rocks.

My question was about feeding in general though. I often feed mysis and brine shrimp after dark. My nitrates have been over 64ppm, phosphates about 0.36ppm so I was wondering (after reading the grazer instructions about not leaving the food on the peg after dark) about feeding after dark in general.

More
09 Jan 2016 23:44 #5 by carlowchris (chris)
The only thing I can think of is "would you eat something you can't see"?

Must be loads of food wasted.....although having said that I put some nor I on a clip every moring ..with lights out .....and they do eat it.

More
27 Feb 2016 13:12 - 27 Feb 2016 13:18 #6 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
When the lights go out on my tank most fish are in a hurry to get to their hiding place before another fish decides that spot is better that his and tries to take over it, so on that note I would suggest definitely not feeding when lights are out
With ur levels being a bit high I'm wondering are you washing the frozen food first before you put it into the tank ?
I also believe the marine grazer is a disaster way to many small bits floating around and then getting lodged in the rocks under the rocks ect.

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.
Last edit: 27 Feb 2016 13:18 by jeff (Jeff Scully).

More
27 Feb 2016 13:39 #7 by stevebreslin (Stephen Breslin)
Yeah, I've given up on the marine grazer and gone back to nori, terrible product really. I was washing my shrimp food, although I've read that in the overall scheme of things it's not really an issue. My moonlights are still fairly bright, the fish generally don't have a problem feeding under moonlights. I've actually reduced my frozen shrimp Feds to one a week and started using NOPPX which has brought my nitrates/phosphates down to more reasonable levels. My original question was really about whether there was some biological reason for not feeding after lights out, but as most people have pointed out, the warning on the marine grazer product is probably to do with a higher chance of food going uneaten.

More
27 Feb 2016 19:18 #8 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Cool, be very careful with nopox makes 100% sure you never over dose
On the biological end of things once the food is all eating or removed is doesn't mater what time of day or night you feed
It's very important to wash all frozen food as it is high in po4 if it's washed well you can actually use it every day with no issues (I have to) for a difficult fish

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

Time to create page: 0.046 seconds