Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

First tank - first trouble

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Didihno (Didihno)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Oct 2007 18:35 #1 by Didihno (Didihno)
First tank - first trouble was created by Didihno (Didihno)
Hi all this is a long one but please stick with it.
I'm running the Orca TL-450 nano tank, about 80l worth.
Until last saturday this homed a large Regal Tang and two large Hermits, which I swapped for two tiny A.Ocellaris and two tiny red Hermits from Gavin (Thanks Gav).

Well I tested the water Sunday and got:
Amm=0, Nitrite=0, Nitrate=off the scale (50+), Ph=8.0

The previous owner had removed the skimmer and set up the 'berlin' method, but I think that the ceramic rings present had been producing nitrate like a good thing. I had brewed up some water of sg 1.024 and did a 1/4 water change. I also cleaned out the ceramics(with tap water to kill of the bacteria) and changed the filter sponges and changed out a new bag of carbon. During the work a lot of dirty water escaped into the tank, due to the rubbish design of the Orca. I remembered why I mostly have externals now. However I thought I was pretty safe.

One clown had died the next morning and the crabs got it.
I tested the water again and all was good except for the nitrate which is so high its off the scale.

this morning the other clown was covered, I mean covered with whitespot. Luckily I was off sick and was able to give it a fresh water bath for about 12 mins. It didn't look too distressed by the ordeal, but hid for a couple of hours after. when it came back out the WS was almost totally gone. Still some very small nodules though. Should I give it another bath tonight?

Also, since the skimmer is out of action is regular water changes the best way around not skimming?
I have a red sea skimmer I borrowed ready to go (if it will fit on the side of the tank that is) do I need to use it? And for how long? Help!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Oct 2007 19:11 #2 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re:First tank - first trouble
I leave my Skimmer going for about 12 hours a day.
I too have a Red Sea Skimmer and IME they are not great.
What type of filtration is going in the tank. Can you add some Ro Fass to keep the phosphates down.

Personally I would not touch Nano Reefs if I got one for
nothing. I am selling my reef tank in a few weeks if you are interested.
Getting 600l one and need the space.

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Oct 2007 19:55 #3 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re:First tank - first trouble
Defo will not be allowed!!!
I have four on the go right now.
But I might convert the Vision 180 i have as a fry tank into a reef tank soon.

What is Ro Fass?

More
22 Oct 2007 22:58 #4 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
You need to keep diluting the Nitrates. Large water changes every day. Small water changes will have little or no effect on Nitrates.
If you can get the skimmer to fit use it 24/7 for the moment.
I cant help you with the fish since i have verry little experience with marine fish. Someone else here should be able to help there.

A few questions to get an idea how this happened.
How long have you got the tank?
How was it stripped down and set up again?
Was the rock removed from the water?
Is there any other live stock in the tank?

RO Phos is a phosphate remover. You should use some sort of phosphate remover. RO Phos is a good one to use.

More
23 Oct 2007 16:39 #5 by Dave (Dave Fallon)
To be honest, I don't think that Nitrate is the root of your problem. The fact that it had a regal tang up till then is testament to this, they're notorious for white spot. Did you test the water before clowns went in?

In my opinion I'd take the ceramics out and bio balls, they can cause excess nitrate. Your live rock is your main biological filtration, pack the internal with floss or coarse sponge.

I'd definitely use a skimmer. As regards the prizm, they are efficent, especially on small tanks, I've one on my own 180ltr and it does a great job, however I only use it once every week due to coral supplements.

Qui Vivra Verra.

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Oct 2007 22:41 #6 by Didihno (Didihno)
Right then.
I'm going to persist with water changes.
I have the tank just over a week, it was bought fully set up and established around 9 months, by a forum member.
The rock was removed from the water while I moved it, for about an hour.
Tank also has 4 hermits and 5 or more Turbo snails.
Two brown anenomes and one coral type thing and plenty of mushrooms and polyps are growing.

I did wash the ceramics under tap water, which should kill all the bacteria and reduce the ceramics to machanical filtration, but I will be getting a load of floss and will use that instead.
I tested only the salinity to be honest.
But have tested it all now and as per above it was Amm=0, Nitrite=0, Nitrate=off the scale (50+), Ph=8.0 on Sunday.

I really need to know do I keep fresh water bathing this clown fish or what lads?
The WS isn't totally gone, but it is reduced a lot.
Is there an invert safe WS treatment?
I bought eSHa Exit thinking it might be, but the bloody instructions are in German!!!

• Vincent (Vincent)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Oct 2007 06:50 #7 by Vincent (Vincent)
Replied by Vincent (Vincent) on topic Re:First tank - first trouble
Hi

Ive had terrible trouble with white spot,,did you read my posting on Oodinex,?,,,,worked for me....

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Oct 2007 09:57 #8 by Didihno (Didihno)
I just did...interesting.

I left that skimmer on last night, this morning it hadn't deposited one bit of scum.
It has decent water flow now but I had to siphon start it.
Is the Res Sea Prism a really poor skimmer?

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Oct 2007 17:19 - 24 Oct 2007 17:40 #9 by Anthony (Anthony)
Didihno wrote:

I just did...interesting.

I left that skimmer on last night, this morning it hadn't deposited one bit of scum.
It has decent water flow now but I had to siphon start it.
Is the Res Sea Prism a really poor skimmer?

They are heaps of s*!t. I have one and its crap. When you get the flow and the air right they should take out some crap but
they are not a great Skimmer.
Last edit: 24 Oct 2007 17:40 by ().

More
24 Oct 2007 18:10 #10 by Dave (Dave Fallon)
Only question I have. Why people use them if there \"crap\" Anyway... back to the point of question, Im sure this won't be the last of it *insert rolleyes smiley here*

Qui Vivra Verra.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Oct 2007 22:29 #11 by Anthony (Anthony)
Dave wrote:

Only question I have. Why people use them if there \"crap\" Anyway... back to the point of question, Im sure this won't be the last of it *insert rolleyes smiley here*

Because shops will sell you anything once you buy it. You only
find out that it is not much good once you bring it home and turn it on.
Use your brain.When starting off you take in as much advice
as possible, if your in a shop and you ask one of the staff if
these Skimmers are any good and they tell you they are the
bees knees you are going to buy one. especially as they
are a lot cheaper than a Deltec If you knew they were crap before you bought them you would not buy them.
After running it for a few weeks and discovering that they
are not that good you are not going to throw it away or sell
it at a big loss and go out and buy a decent Deltec model.
As you know (though you might disagree) Marines are a money pitt. Way more expensive than Tropical. If you think you are getting a bargain you are going to jump at it..

More
25 Oct 2007 09:29 - 25 Oct 2007 09:30 #12 by Dave (Dave Fallon)
Well if thats your experience, that's unfortunate.

As you know(though you might disagree), Marines is a learning hobby, the onus can't be put on shops all the time. Why not do a bit of research first before buying. It's the individuals responsibility to try and learn as much as possible before diving in. Shops are there to supply goods and act as a point of reference and give the best advice they can. Same as any business in retail.

Finally, I never claimed Prizm skimmers are absolutely amazing, however they are cheaper than other skimmers, practical and do an effective job(if used properly that is).

Anyway, LETS GET BACK ON TOPIC *Insert yet another rolleyes smiley here*

Qui Vivra Verra.
Last edit: 25 Oct 2007 09:30 by Dave (Dave Fallon).

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Oct 2007 11:13 - 25 Oct 2007 11:14 #13 by Anthony (Anthony)
That is not my experience as I got the Skimmer for practically
nothing (thanks Paulm). At the end of the day they are not great, I would never buy another Red Sea Skimmer either would
I buy any of the equipment that they make.Their Hydrometers are way off and is from a lot of people who used them not just me.
The only product I do use is their salt.I don`t have any problem with them.
Their Skimmers are a lot cheaper than Deltec and starting off
it does sound like a good idea to save a few hundred euro on
a Skimmer if you can. They are ok for starting off but eventually as you become more experienced and want to keep harder Corals and more exotic fish the Prism is a no no.

By the way do AV sell Deltec Skimmers.
Last edit: 25 Oct 2007 11:14 by Anthony (Anthony).

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Oct 2007 11:22 #14 by Didihno (Didihno)
Lads I got the skimmer free, my mate said it was a ball of crap but I said I'd try it out.
This has been running for two days now and despite water flowing freely around the system there is not a drop of gunk collected.
Someone mentioned balancing the air flow?
What does that mean exactly?

BTW the white spot seemed to be gone this morning, but it was dark and the wee clown was swimming about as they do.
Frantic little buggers aren't they?!!!

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds