Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

how to start mini reef tank

More
22 Jan 2008 11:32 #31 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
lampeye wrote:

i think the difference is that everyone knows that ro water is purer, and especially if you are to fork out on sensitive corals you probably want the purest water you can get. the salt mix will buffer the ro water to right parameters anyway.
theres also the fear of what happened platty252 and daragh owens with the dodgey water for a week.
but thats the same for fresh or marine.
now having said all that ive found tap water perfect, in the grand scheme of things i don't think it makes any difference. i do treat it with seachems prime (a dechlorinater) to be safe. ive never even had a phosphate reading from tank or tap.
so im all for tap water!

(but if you gave me a free ro unit and i had the space id prob use that)

That's a good balance well though out answer, I agree 100% with your justifications.

To summarise for a beginner thinking of going marine, a R/O will do no harm, in fact its an life insurance policy for some expensive inverts, a poly filter would be a cheaper alternative, I beleive nowadays one can buy salt mix design for tap water or R/O water, if you are giving one for free use! it if you got bags of money buy one!, if you have a budget, perhaps use the money instead on a deeper tank thicker glass, a sump or other worth while investments.End.

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
19 May 2009 05:04 #32 by adriano210 (adrian kraszewski)
hi lads
i come back to the forum and i want to refresh this post
anybody try local marine tank im thing about some gobys, common prawns, and snails
i want to use sea water, and deep sand beding and natural rocks
so anybody have any experience with it?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.034 seconds