Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Algae and water movement

More
22 Apr 2008 18:47 #1 by triciamono (Tricia Monaghan)
Hi All,
just posting a query about the orca 450tl marine. My tank is set up 3 1/2 weeks. It has been running all that time. I got a clownfish and a yellow tail blue damsel on sunday 4 days ago. Since the fish have been in the tank, i have noticed a build up of algae on the inside of the tank, also there is a lot of algae? type growth on all of my live rock,also the gravel. There is a lot of bubbles clinging to the inside of the tank. What is the cause of this and hopefully what is the remedy. Also when should i get my cleaner crew in as all my levels are correct including the salt content.Any ideas? I would be grateful for any help, thanks, bye!! Trish.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2008 21:02 #2 by lampeye (lampeye)
hi trish,
ideally you should add your clean up crew before your fish. couple of questiosn for you.
how many fish have you got in there now?
is it 65 litre tank?
how long have you got the lights on for per day ?
whats your salinity?

lampeye

More
22 Apr 2008 21:16 #3 by triciamono (Tricia Monaghan)
Thanks for the reply..
The tank is a 58litre tank, i only have 2 fish at the moment, got them on saturday.
The tank has 2 light settings on it, a bright one which is on during the day for about 10hrs, and the night one 1 leave on overnight ? is this too long ?
The salinity was up at 1.028 but i got that down at the weekend by changing the water, and its at 1.023 today, its been at that for the last couple of days.
This is my first ever tank, so im only learning..
all my water tests and salinity are ok..

what would you recommend for the cleaner crew for my size tank ? plan on getting them the weekend....Thanks, Trish.

More
22 Apr 2008 23:01 #4 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Hi Tricia. You say you have a night and a day light. Is the night light blue by any chance? If it is it's an actinic blue light. You would leave this and the white light on together for about 6 hours a day. You can up this time frame later but for the moment 6 will do.
It is normal to get a diatom bloom (algae) around the 4 week mark.It wont last long. The bubbles you see on the glass is just the algae photosynthesizing
just like a plant would. You can stir the top of the sand to keep it clear of algae and an algae magnet to keep the glass clean. Ask your LFS about an algae magnet.
For a clean up crew i would go for 2 red leg hermit crabs and 2 snail's.
No extra food will be needed for these they will eat the algae and scavenge any left overs.
I wouldent plan on any more fish, at least for the moment and even at that the Damsel may not welcome any new comers. It is probably best to keep with the 2 you have for the moment.
As lampeye pointed out it is usually, tank set up for for a couple of weeks or once it is cycled then clean up crew then fish.
Dont worry no harm done and you should have nothing to worry about. As i said the algae will pass and it's around this time you may start to notice things growing on the rock and all sorts of critters apearing from the rock.
Enjoy.

More
22 Apr 2008 23:26 #5 by lampeye (lampeye)
exactly what he said!

lampeye

More
23 Apr 2008 08:31 #6 by triciamono (Tricia Monaghan)
Thanks a mill, that helps alot.
Yes the night light is blue, i wasnt sure If it was ok to leave the lights off..
I wasnt present when the tank was being set up so couldnt ask any questions !!
Have a couple off books on the way so they should keep me busy.
The forums really help, and Any other questions I have, which im sure i will have ill be back !!
Thanks
Trish

Time to create page: 0.042 seconds