Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Cloudy water.

More
05 Jan 2009 00:00 #1 by Orca (Eoin Walsh)
My 70lt cold water tank has started going cloudy after my last water change.I have the tank set up for over a year and all was well.I have done 3 more small water changes and it stays cloudy.The only thing i have changed is the water conditioner use could this cause problems.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
05 Jan 2009 00:15 #2 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
Orca what change did you make with your water conditioner?

LB

More
05 Jan 2009 02:23 #3 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
If you are using Easy Life Fluid Filter Medium (FFM) as a dechlorinater. it will temporarily cloud the water.
It could also be a bacteria bloom. Usually brought on by overkill cleaning the filter or replacing all the gravel that would have colonized a lot of bacteria.
If this is the case check for Ammonia. You will also have to increase the aeration on the tank since bacteria use up a lot of oxygen leaving none for the fish.
To many nutrients in the water is another cause of this so check your feeding. You may have to put the fish on a diet or find a better food for them.

Another possibility is an algae bloom. This will have a green tint in the water turning into pea soup.
Again to much nutrients from overfeeding and to much light.

More
05 Jan 2009 21:28 #4 by Orca (Eoin Walsh)
Replied by Orca (Eoin Walsh) on topic Re:Cloudy water.
I went looking for my post tonight only to see where i put it.So when you have a hangover go to sleep and join your brain.Well it looks like you hit the nail on the head with the filter.When i think of what i did i could kick myself.I rinsed the sponges in the treated water and not the aquarium water.

More
05 Jan 2009 22:34 #5 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Keep an eye on the Ammonia and Nitrite.
If you have a spare filter pack it with filter floss and stick it in the tank. I think this might help clear the cloudy water.
Do a search on the site for bacteria bloom. This was talked about a good while back so you might find some good info.

More
05 Jan 2009 23:06 #6 by Orca (Eoin Walsh)
I will have to keep a good eye on the tank and do a few more water changes and it should be ok in few weeks.It really kills you when things go wrong in a tank.:( :( :( :( :( :( :(

More
06 Jan 2009 00:27 #7 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
We all make little mistakes from time to time. Don't beat yourself up over it.
Don't forget to add extra aeration while the water is cloudy.
Just doing water changes may not clear the water, but do them anyway in case your tank goes into a mini cycle.

More
06 Jan 2009 13:54 #8 by nonie (leonie troy)
The same thing happened to me and I could not get rid of the stuff so I got some P-Clear from the lfs and it worked a treat!!

More
17 Jan 2009 16:21 #9 by Orca (Eoin Walsh)
Quick question.I have done a few small water changes and put in two air stones and another filter loaded with filter floss.When should you change the floss and how long might it take for the water to clear.

More
17 Jan 2009 16:46 #10 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Filter floss rarely needs to be changed. Its just there to put a polish on the water. It does work,I change mine every so often depending on the water etc..
Generally though 3 months or so would see your filter floss being fine. Some people only change it once or twice a year,others perfer to stick to the manufactuers instructions and change it every 3 weeks or monthy,personally I find the filter wool (if its the same thing that we are talking about) will do fine for about 3 months at a time depending on what you have in the tank etc..

Its really down to personal choice,its a waste of money having to replace them monthly.I only do it eery 3 months as Ive a good bit of it here in the house.
It should start to clear the water over the next 24 to 48 hours you should see a difference,coupled with the water changes

Gavin

More
01 May 2009 18:31 #11 by Orca (Eoin Walsh)
I still have the same water problems now as i did when i put the post up.For the past few weeks i have done many small water changes on this tank and changed the floss on the second filter.After the water change i get a few days of clear water and then it goes cloudy.I have to say i am having no joy trying to get this tank sorted.Might anyone know what might help.I am doing a water change once or twice a week on the tank and it is a lot of water.

More
01 May 2009 18:37 #12 by alkiely (alan kiely)
Is ur tank getting alot of sunlight on it....? I had that problem moved, my my tank to under the stairs and i have had no problems since.

Its a pain in the arse doing so many water changes i was doin 2-3 a week:angry:

Alan

More
01 May 2009 18:49 #13 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
Is it an algae bloom you have? :huh:

More
01 May 2009 20:27 #14 by Orca (Eoin Walsh)
It seems to be a bloom i have but i dont know how.The tank is in the sitting room and gets no direct sunlight.Could it be a bad filter.

More
01 May 2009 20:29 #15 by alkiely (alan kiely)
What lighting unit do you have t5 etc

What wattage are the lights..?

How long do you leave them on for...?

Alan

More
01 May 2009 20:46 #16 by Orca (Eoin Walsh)
It is an interpet tank with 15W bulbs that look like energy save bulbs and would be on for a max of 10 hours per week.

More
01 May 2009 21:07 #17 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
Can you give us a pic of the tank?

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds