Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

dropsy

More
24 Jul 2010 22:36 #31 by aoife (aoife tansey)
Replied by aoife (aoife tansey) on topic Re:dropsy
Good information to have Ian, thanks for that. As she is not part of my crew, to be honest i'm only chancing my arm, the cause of the swollen abdomen could be anything. Where would i get crushed coral gravel?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
24 Jul 2010 23:13 #32 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Soz I couldn't be more positive, Aoife.

crushed shells (washed) or limestone would do instead of crushed coral.
The basic idea is that the crushed coral would be a good way to get some calcium into the water.
If the water is quite hard then that should already have a good balance of electrolytes such as calcium.

I never asked what conc of epsom salts you were adding......ideally this should be used in a 30 minute bath (at a conc of 1/2 teaspoon per gallon in the 30 minute dip), but do not go over 1/8th teaspoon per 5 gallons in the normal water unless you are confident that that will not upset a good balance of calcium. So, if you're not certain, then play safe.

Feeding, it might be an idea to soak dried food in water for a few minutes before feeding.

I've not seen dropsy in a guppy for...how many years....not sure if I have as I guess that most die before getting to the pine-comb effect that Gavin mentioned earlier.

Seen lots of goldfish and loads of siamese fighters with it though. I have my theories on that.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
25 Jul 2010 10:59 #33 by aoife (aoife tansey)
The salt dip is prepared the following way, 9 Litres of water, brought to the same temp as the tank water, dechlorinated, and 1 tsp of epsom salt (think 1 gallon = 4.5 litres roughly, so 2 gallons = 9 litres), she swims around that for 25-30 mins.

More
26 Jul 2010 12:28 #34 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
If you wanna keep us up-to-date (I don't mind a PM) on the progress.

More
26 Jul 2010 14:33 #35 by aoife (aoife tansey)
Well, she is still going strong today, no worse, tonight will be her 5th salt bath, and 2nd dose of meds. Not too interested in food though, even though i soaked the flakes first. Might try her with a crushed pea tonight. Sometimes there is 'stuff' coming out her rear end, its not poo though, its more like a white stringy substance.

More
26 Jul 2010 14:54 #36 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Is she an old guppy?
Has she a bent back?

Stringy stuff is not good. As a note, Guppies are one of the fish that are more prone to camalanus worm......there is a slight red protrusion that quickly disappears when you go close to have a look. Not saying that that is the case, but worth noting.

More
26 Jul 2010 15:26 #37 by aoife (aoife tansey)
Not sure how old she is, but as for the bent back, there are 3 pics on page 2 if you want to have a look, think the second one is the best. Where the swollen part of her abdomen is translucent, I did notice that inside it was red (as in a red stringy bit!), is this the same thing since i saw it inside her? my mother also saw her pass more but said it was white again. I am off work for the next 4 days so can watch her more closely.

More
26 Jul 2010 18:41 #38 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Is she swimming near the surface more and more?In the corner perhaps?

Gavin

More
26 Jul 2010 23:16 #39 by aoife (aoife tansey)
An update, went to give her a salt bath and the swelling in her abdomen has reduced by 90%, have before and after images, but the difference is more obvious when you look down on her. So she had her salt bath and her 2nd dose of meds. Not out of the woods yet.

before:
i737.photobucket.com/albums/xx14/aoifetansey/IMG_0433.jpg

after:
i737.photobucket.com/albums/xx14/aoifetansey/IMG_0440.jpg

Will continue with the salt baths for another few days, and her last dose of meds on day 7. She is still not that interested in food though.

More
28 Jul 2010 19:49 #40 by aoife (aoife tansey)
trying to get my guppy to eat (swelling still gone), and am trying bloodworms, she is going for them but doesnt eat them. Its like she is just sucking them. Any other food suggestions??

More
10 Sep 2010 20:15 #41 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
Replied by Sean (Fr. Jack) on topic Re:dropsy
dar wrote:

is it like this badmanstropicalfish.com/fish_palace/unkn...ehartleyacmepet.html

Hi the fish in this photo link does not have dropsy, thats viral or a tumour growth.

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

More
10 Sep 2010 22:28 #42 by Xeon (ioan micu)
Replied by Xeon (ioan micu) on topic Re:dropsy
A funny guppy with "dropsy" who miraculously finds it's thread in the marine aquariums and actualy looks like a mickey mouse platy.

Good news that is well and great help and replies.

More
11 Sep 2010 14:27 #43 by dar (darren curry)
Replied by dar (darren curry) on topic Re:dropsy
Sean wrote:

Hi the fish in this photo link does not have dropsy, thats viral or a tumour growth.

hi, sorry my good man but without going back over the thread, i don't think it was clarified that it was actually dropsy at the time, and if i could recall the symptoms did not entirely fit the bill with dropsy, i just put that out to see if it was that.

cheers, Darren

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds