Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Snails, snails and more snails

More
25 Sep 2010 15:58 #1 by aoife (aoife tansey)
Have just come back from a 2 week holiday to find my 200L tank full of little snails. Tank contains mollies, guppies, swordtails, pleco and catfish. Any ideas on how to get rid of them (apart from picking them all out individually which is what Im doing at the moment). There are loads of the little buggers!!
Aoife

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Sep 2010 16:07 - 25 Sep 2010 16:10 #2 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re:Snails, snails and more snails
Get your Hands on some Assassin Snails or Molluscides, eSHa do a treatment that will kill your Snails, Don't try the other ways such as buying Loaches or using bait on a dish etc, you will only barely control them but that's all it will be, control.

You need to rid these pests completely, the fact the population exploded in such a way indicates two things, 1, they were always there to start with but fewer in number so something in your Tank had them under control and I'd guess, you fed your Fish correctly and 2 while you were away they got more food than usual and boom.lots more Snails.

I'm assuming by your list that Fish are all that are in the Tank, if so it will do the trick, some lfs sell assassins, I think I saw a Forum member advertise some for sale.

Kev.
Last edit: 25 Sep 2010 16:10 by stretnik (stretnik).

More
25 Sep 2010 16:44 #3 by aoife (aoife tansey)
What sort of treatment would you suggest? I wont be able to get my hands on Assassin snails until next Wednesday as I am working. Would a treatment be harmful to the fish?, also forgot to mention there are neons in the tank also. I acquired the snails from plants that I bought in the LFbut was able to control the numbers (I had maybe 5 max), and was able to scoop them out as soon as they were spotted.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Sep 2010 17:03 #4 by stretnik (stretnik)
Don't worry Aoife, there's plenty of time, actually, unless they are eating your plants you don't need to worry, they just look terrible, I'd always opt for the Assassins, there is no chemicals and your Fish will appreciate it.

Kev.

More
25 Sep 2010 17:12 #5 by dar (darren curry)
stretnik wrote:

I'd always opt for the Assassins, there is no chemicals and your Fish will appreciate it.

plus wen they breed you can flog them on here, or even better give them away for free (maybe i should have just stated the latter)

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic

More
25 Sep 2010 17:29 #6 by joey (joe watson)
yes its me selling assasins, they do the trick alright! i got 2 and 6 months ago started up a planted tank, put them in for pest ramshorns that come in on the plants. after 2 months there were loads of littl'n assasins and no more pest snails!
moved 3 to a shrimp tank with a ramshorn problem. 2 weeks and only hundreds of empty pest snail shells on the tank floor. bloody brilliant things!

best part is they will clear out your pest snails and dead fish very handy, and if food runs low (dead fish, snails or now i feed prawns every now and again) they just disappear into the substrate, i assume waiting for something foody to arrive...

More
25 Sep 2010 17:59 #7 by aoife (aoife tansey)
Joey, where are you located? Im in Cork. Have removed around 100 snails so far, and see no end to them!

More
25 Sep 2010 18:51 #8 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
have the same problem me self hundreds of the bleeding things around the tank was going to go down the loach route but after reading this thread think ill opt for the assasin route now after reading the thread

at the end of the day it becomes nite

More
25 Sep 2010 20:04 #9 by aoife (aoife tansey)
Anybody in the East Cork area with Assassin Snails for sale??

More
25 Sep 2010 20:13 #10 by dar (darren curry)
would these not survive the post?

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic

More
25 Sep 2010 21:03 #11 by aoife (aoife tansey)
dar wrote:

would these not survive the post?

I have no idea. I can get to Pets and Ponds in Dungarven on Wednesday, but not sure if they would have any

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Sep 2010 21:11 #12 by stretnik (stretnik)
Aoife, as I said, the Snails aren't a disaster, you can google how to trap them to ease your mind until you can get your hands on some Snails.

Kev

More
26 Sep 2010 10:15 #13 by joey (joe watson)
apparently they will survive in the post with wet tissue/cotton wool, a friend said he does the same with trumpet snails without issues. anyway these things have lungs they snorkel at the surface every now and again. i sent plants before and they were delivered in 2 days. i am sending 10 assasins to a member of the other forum on monday.

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds