Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Seawater in Marine Tanks?

More
09 Mar 2011 18:18 #1 by Tunes145 (Tuna Yoney)
Hi ya,

Just got curious on this the other day. Since the country is surrounded by seawater, accessing one is never far away.( unless in midlands of course).

I was wondering how suitable is to get the actual seawater from a clean area and use in the marine tanks?.

I assume that would be cheap to use. Any downside to consider apart from possible free swimming parasites?.

I remember Seahorse man Kealan used actual sea water to start sea horse in connamara?.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
09 Mar 2011 18:27 - 10 Mar 2011 18:08 #2 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)
I don't think its as easy as just taking it from the sea,I think it has to be treated.
Last edit: 10 Mar 2011 18:08 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill).

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Mar 2011 10:55 #3 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: Seawater in Marine Tanks?
I've always imagined that there were certain things that needed to be done, to filter first after leaving any suspended material to make it's way to the bottom of the container and the other thing I would do is make sure the Water I was taking was not from the shore line but a few meters into deeper Water.

Here is some Text from an answer on All Experts.....

I would use it under certain conditions.
1. Store this water in a cool place for 3 days. Let the sediment settle to the bottom. Make sure salinity is 1.023-1.025

2. siphon out the rest and place it in your tank. Leave about an inch or two on the bottom of the storage container.
3. Place in tank with nothing in it, just filter and equipment. Let it filter for about a week with no animals in it.
4. check water every day for balanced chemistries, ph, ammonia, nitrates and nitrites if all are good. The tank should be fine. make sure if you are planning to put live rock in it place this in the tank during step three.

5. if done properly natural sea-water is good. Just make sure your water chem is up to par meaning ph 8.0-8.3 NH3 is 0 nitrite is 0 nitrate 20 ppm.

Kev.

More
10 Mar 2011 13:04 #4 by Gavin (Gavin)
you would really need to collect it a good bit from the shore too.there are some things that you can't test for that may be lurking in the water near the coast..agricultural run off, sewage..blah blah etc.

dont make me come over there.

More
10 Mar 2011 13:11 #5 by dar (darren curry)
yeah Gav is bang on, i was out in 6 foot of water and no joking a turd swam past, imagine that in your lovely set up

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Mar 2011 13:25 - 10 Mar 2011 13:31 #6 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: Seawater in Marine Tanks?
Now Darren, that's not very nice calling a fellow swimmer a Turd !!
you know what they say, Shit loves company. Did ya taste it or squeeze it? It cudda been a nunch or moro bar lost at Sea!!
:crazy: :crazy:

Kev.
Last edit: 10 Mar 2011 13:31 by stretnik (stretnik).

More
10 Mar 2011 13:50 - 10 Mar 2011 13:55 #7 by dar (darren curry)
in fear of being silenced i will leave it at that kev, all i will say is it was definitely not a moro it had more of a nutty texture

Kev you are a bad influence on me

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic
Last edit: 10 Mar 2011 13:55 by dar (darren curry).

More
10 Mar 2011 17:39 #8 by Tunes145 (Tuna Yoney)
Cheers Stretnik and Gav.

Turd talk is not thrilling subject though:))

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds