Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Vision conversion

More
09 Jan 2012 07:32 #1 by paulcavan (Paul Gileoold)
Could anyone list the equipment is need to convert my 260 to marine I don't wanna use a sump as I don't have the space cheers

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
09 Jan 2012 10:25 #2 by davey_c (dave clarke)
start off with a canister filter, with a suitable hang-on skimmer, powerhead to circulate the water and a heater... i'm sure with that much to start you can start the cycling process :)

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
09 Jan 2012 19:50 #3 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
nearly sure i heard that jewel brought out a skimmer for there tanks have a look on there site

again im not to sure and even at that i couldnt see them being any good as with all the equipment jewel have on there tanks are dirt as in light units bulbs filters and heaters

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving

More
09 Jan 2012 20:00 #4 by paulcavan (Paul Gileoold)
Cheers lads my head is wrecked with ideas ;-)

More
09 Jan 2012 23:27 #5 by paulcavan (Paul Gileoold)
Would I need to use metal halides or could I just upgrade my bulbs external filter check skimmer check powerhead check heater check now all I need is live rock and live sand and all the testing equipment and a good chat to a marine keeper

More
09 Jan 2012 23:32 #6 by paulcavan (Paul Gileoold)
What's the benefits of a sump?

More
09 Jan 2012 23:51 #7 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
paul just had a thought there give us a buzz ill pm u my new number there

sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving

More
10 Jan 2012 20:13 #8 by paulcavan (Paul Gileoold)
Would I need a metal halide? Sorry for annoying everyone I just need to know I wanna eventually grow corals would I save much money buying liverock and live sand secondhand? Would I be ok without a sump or would it be best to get one

More
10 Jan 2012 20:48 #9 by davey_c (dave clarke)
now your just being a neusence :lol: .. only messin with ye..

you can get away without a sump, you can get live rock and sand as low as 5e/kg second hand so yes you can save a fortune if you haven't got it and that saving can be spent elsewhere or on better gear,
you can buy marine bulbs for your vision lid which i'd say would be fine butas for being enough for corals i wouldn't know if it would be suitable, only suitable for certain corals or not at all. a bulb like that though would get you started and in the meantime you could save for a lighting unit sufficant enough to grow corals... if you go slow like that you could learn alot between stages and be able to better yourself instead of cramming it all up IMO ;)

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
10 Jan 2012 22:20 #10 by paulcavan (Paul Gileoold)
I'm reading like mad at the min bur wit work and a new baby it's hard to take it all in ha

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Jan 2012 22:26 - 10 Jan 2012 22:27 #11 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: Vision conversion
Paul, if you can afford Metal halides, you can afford Aquaray leds, these are fabulous as an alternative to Halides, Halides cost a mint to run, add heat to a Tank and Room, ie. at Summer time.
As an added bonus they give a beautiful shimmer to the Water.

Kev
Last edit: 10 Jan 2012 22:27 by stretnik (stretnik).

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds