Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

lighting help ???

More
02 Jun 2012 18:30 #1 by colly130 (Colin)
hi guys.. i have a 100l litre tank with african cichlids in it at the moment gonna be changing to a marine tank soon and want to know what type of lighting i need i think t5s are required but i have t8s is there a way of changing or do i have to replace the whole hood ?

cheers colly

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Jun 2012 22:07 #2 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: lighting help ???
What brand of Aquarium do you have? it will depend on the answer to this.

Kev.

More
02 Jun 2012 22:58 #3 by colly130 (Colin)
The tank brand is betta, I know the hood is in two sections aswel so a third or so of the tank will be open will that matter?

More
04 Jun 2012 11:12 #4 by colly130 (Colin)
Can anyone help me wit this?

More
04 Jun 2012 17:49 #5 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)

It it this type of aquarium you have?
Attachments:

More
11 Jun 2012 20:21 #6 by colly130 (Colin)
Yeah that's the one crusty and idea?

More
11 Jun 2012 20:36 #7 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
As far as I know that tank has 2 x T5s in it, a blue and a White, change the existing white to a reef white or marine white, and the blue to a marine blue. The compleate hoot comes off, so its easy to change the bulbs, just undo the two screws in the front. In the filter section, pop in marine carbon or purigen, to keep the water sweet. 9Kg of live rock, a bucket of live sand, and a stream pump will get you going. A skimmer will be hard to fit, but a small internal might be possible.

More
11 Jun 2012 22:12 #8 by colly130 (Colin)
My tank has two t8s (white) and about 5 or 6 small blue led's... ? Is there a way of puttin t5s in instead? Once I get the lighting sorted ill get the rest noproblem its just the lightin I need to get sorted

Cheers colly

More
11 Jun 2012 22:40 #9 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
It seems to be the older version of the tank then, give me a few mins and i'll check

More
11 Jun 2012 23:21 #10 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
Hi Colly,
My mistake, there are 2 versions of the Betta tank, a freshwater and a marine.
Its the marine that has the T5s, but the new version of the freshwater might have T5s
You could just replace the light section. I am sure one of the sponsors could sort you out with that.
Gavin in Artane Aquatics in Dublin This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Petra in AquaPaws Aquatics in Galway This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Both these shops deal with Betta Aquariums.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Jun 2012 00:14 #11 by stretnik (stretnik)
Afaik you will more than likely need to source a complete Lid, we have been down this route before, trying to retro fit equipment , juwel systems being the main focus, there were some modding solutions to these but, I have never heard of a mod for a Betta.

Kev.

More
12 Jun 2012 00:28 #12 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)

Afaik you will more than likely need to source a complete Lid, we have been down this route before, trying to retro fit equipment , juwel systems being the main focus, there were some modding solutions to these but, I have never heard of a mod for a Betta.

Kev.

Betta do replacement light sections on some of their aquariums, but as you say, it might be a complete lid on this one.

You settling in over there in the canadas?

More
12 Jun 2012 01:13 #13 by colly130 (Colin)
Cheers for the help lads ill just try see if I can get the hood changed to the marine model thanks again!
Colly

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Jun 2012 02:25 #14 by stretnik (stretnik)
It feels strange not to be Returning home at the end of a two week Holiday, the two Cats seem to have settled in with Sara's two cats, there was a bit of arching and hissing, other than that, it all seems fine, thanks.

Kev.

More
20 Jun 2012 10:36 #15 by colly130 (Colin)
would 3x21w t5's be ok in the tank?

More
31 Oct 2013 21:21 #16 by Mr B (C B)
Replied by Mr B (C B) on topic lighting help ???
I have a 158cm l * 50cm w * 75cm h tank which I've recently built and I would like, eventually, to have a reef tank but I'm going to begin with a tropical freshwater. I have no idea of the lighting requirements I'd require for the reef tank so I'd appreciate any advice you could offer in terms of f.tubes and LEDS.

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds