Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

marine setup

More
06 Aug 2012 12:00 #1 by arkeye72 (chris o reilly)
i am thinking of a marine setup at the moment i have a 260 litre tank and an ecco pro filter just lookin for some advice on the setup and what else i would need all advice would be very help ful thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
07 Aug 2012 01:05 #2 by andrewo (andrew)
Replied by andrewo (andrew) on topic marine setup
Besides a sackful of $$$$$ which you can get on loan from Sean....just joking! :lol:

Can you get a sump? That would be ideal in the long run.With sump then you wont be needing the external. You need good lighting- T5s(cheaper than LEDs); then skimmer; couple of wavemakers; then cycle with live rock..there are also lots of nice articles you can google; all the best!

More
07 Aug 2012 10:33 - 07 Aug 2012 10:43 #3 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
Replied by BlueRam (Sean Crowe) on topic marine setup
Andrew whos this Sean fella i would love to ask him for a load myself :laugh: :laugh:

yes Arkeye72 Andrew is dead right having a sump would do the job i have had a 100L marine tank a boyu tank that didn't have a sump but had four chambers on the back on the tank like a sump and was handy in that little tank

But in saying that there have being many marine tank kept and run with great success with filters with live rock, rows phos, and carbon in it

If you are going down this route just put a bit extra live rock in the tank

What are you planning on putting in the tank are you going to be running it as a FOWLR or Softies or LPS or SPS or mixed this is what you will need to plan ahead and that would tell you what lighting you will need

Just be sure that at the start we all say no i don't want corals or something like that and get lights that wont do and then later decide you want corals and then having to change lighting so always haveing uprated equipment light skimmer return pumps lights and so on will be great as that way if you get a bigger tank or wanted more demanding corals you will have the lighting for them

Again planning is everything you have to plan stock wise as there is no point in saying you want this type off fish and then say you want a reef tank then it works out the fish you want are not reef safe so again read read and more reading and planning will help a lot

You will need a good skimmer the bigger the better they say with a good sized pump on it

Power heads are a must they say enough for the water to be turning over about 10times an hour again this is not a must but just what some people would have to hit

As well as Andrew said cycling the tank this part is where a lot off planning can get done apart from lighting as you would what to know what lighting you would want at this stage but fish and corals wise you can plan in this time as this can help you wait a bit longer as you will need to take you time with the cycling and do not rush it at all or you will have nothing but issues down the line

Wish you all the best and have to say one off the best moves i have done was getting into Marine

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving
Last edit: 07 Aug 2012 10:43 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe).

Time to create page: 0.037 seconds