Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

HELP NEEDED return pump.

More
27 Sep 2012 20:12 #1 by bazzter84 (Baz)
Hi guys need a bit of help.

I'm new to the saltwater setup and on my new aquareef 300 tank my return pump lost power today, however having returned power to it its only sending the water up maybe 1/4 way on the return pipe?
I presume maybe airlocked?
Any ideas how to get this back running properly please?

Thanks in advance,
Baz.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
27 Sep 2012 21:37 #2 by JohnH (John)
Sorry. I'm not familiar with this set-up but surely someone here could help out?
Might it be possible to disconnect the return pipe and let it syphon into a bucket? If this could be done it should clear any airlock or blockage?
John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
27 Sep 2012 21:43 #3 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
I wouldn't say it is air-locked as the flow rate in return pumps are likely to stop this

I am nearly sure that it could be blocked or jammed with gunk or some sort have you taking it apart and cleaned it out?

How did it lose power?Are you sure it lost power and not just the impeller jammed

I would take it apart and give it a good clean taking all bits out and so on then back together and try it

When its on now and you say it has a lot less flow is it vibrating a lot?

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving

More
27 Sep 2012 21:46 - 27 Sep 2012 21:48 #4 by mech1 (pat bell)
Some pumps have a power control system are you sure you didnt inadvertantly turn it down?

just a possibility.

Pat.

Knocklyon 2 min from J12 M50
Last edit: 27 Sep 2012 21:48 by mech1 (pat bell). Reason: spelling s*it

More
27 Sep 2012 22:00 #5 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)

Some pumps have a power control system are you sure you didnt inadvertantly turn it down?

just a possibility.

Pat.

Yes Pat you are spot on some returns do have this as in the D-D range do but for the likes off the Eheim dosent well most does not and the one i have doesnt have, this has happent me before a good clean and that sorted everything out

But in saying that the pump could be gone or burned out some how hopefully not but if the above doesn't work this is a more then likely

I have a 1500LPH return there you are more then welcome to till you get shorted not very big but could get you out off a hole

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

More
27 Sep 2012 22:05 #6 by bazzter84 (Baz)
Cheers for all the help and advice guys. I got it going in the end. For what seemed to be perfectly clean parts :S some minute particle in the impeller area seemed to be causing it as after i took it out and put it back after it seemed perfectly clean its now working perfect again...fingers crossed it stays that way.
Cheers guys Baz :)

More
27 Sep 2012 22:17 #7 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)

Cheers for all the help and advice guys. I got it going in the end. For what seemed to be perfectly clean parts :S some minute particle in the impeller area seemed to be causing it as after i took it out and put it back after it seemed perfectly clean its now working perfect again...fingers crossed it stays that way.
Cheers guys Baz :)

Glad you got sorted mate

As i said in my PM just keep it clean and come up with a rota on to when you clean all your equipment same as you would for water changes and cleaning

As could you think off the damage this could cause it if this happent when you where away for a weekend or something

Also best to keep and eye just for peace and mind and also for your fish :cool: :laugh:

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Time to create page: 0.046 seconds