Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Jewel trigon conversion

More
15 Oct 2012 16:54 #1 by dubdero (derek kearns)
Hello ,The house is getting done ceilings plastered the usual lot has a flood few weeks back.Was going to sell my trigon it's advertised now and get , a few quid together in January and buy a aquaone marine tank.Anyway Thinkin of converting the trigon instead,money saver main reason.Will be starting in two weeks when builders goner hat I have got at moment is

Have internel and an extrenel filters extrenel is tetreatec 700 what will I use as media?
How much live rock?
Have a red sea prizem hang on back skimmer heard they ain't the best but bought one couple of years back never got around two use it.
Just bought the blue back round should cover pipe work etc.meant to help with lighting not sure myself.
Will I need more water movement and what size wave maker etc.?
for water testing when I had a brackish tnk was that keen on the sality tester refractor être is there a digital one out there these days
And main issue would like the option of corels at sometime lighting issue have only t8 light unit.Any LEDs lighting under €150 mark options which could fit tank.confused with this lighting big time.

And finally as don't live That far from sea horse was going to buy my water weekly monthly have two 25 litre drums can get one filled at a time and use them for top off water changes etc.or better buying unit and doing it your self .do I fit it to main house water etc.

Any help be welcomed have been keeping fish around 7 to eight years so should be ready for the marine challenge.cheers Derek

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 Oct 2012 20:22 #2 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
What Trigon is it?

There is a lot off ways to do it as in get a new tank or keep your own as what you are thinking you could also change around the stand so you could add a sump and overflow but again that is up to you

Some lads would use a ex filter just to get them out off a hole all you would need in carbon and rows phos in the filter

I don't really see a use for the internal so would leave that out

if you are using just the ex filter then you would want to add more live raok to the tank as this will help with filtration

As for the skimmer the bigger the better run the one you have and then see how it goes when it beds in then you can tell if you will need to upgrade it for not

Not really to sure about water movement as i think it is meant to be 10 times the turn over what i done is add 2 power heads and then see how my fish and corals like it again i could help you on this if i knew what size tank it was you had

Testing your salt levels are best don't with the like off the D-D REFRACTOR great for water changes also

For coral start slow read about each coral you are thinking to make sure it is right for your setup and best to put it into the tank also as fish stock goes do a lot off reading on this as you want to keep a reef you have to make sure you have reef safe fish and so on

There are a lot off LED lighting out there id i was you for your price range for lights keep and i eye out for Aquaray strips on the for sale section as this would be best and not that much 2nd hand

For water changes i think now this is just me but i would put a bit off money into getting your water change gear as in RO unit and salt and so on as you know what your water will be then and you have also have water there in case you need it in a rush and not will you need it for this tank but im sure it will not be long before you will upgrade and the money you will save on buying water would be a lot

Another thing to keep in mind when setting up a marine tank just do a lot off reading know what you will want in the tank coral and fish wise and make sure you have the right setup for them and off course take your time if you rush it at the start you will have nothing but issues and will cost you a lot off money so a bit for spent at the start will go a long way and save you a lot off money in the long run

Anything else you need to know please just ask there is a lot off lads here that will do there best to help you as much as you need

And last thing best off luck with it and please keep us all posted and lots off photos

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving

More
15 Oct 2012 20:58 #3 by Muppetkiller (Stephen)
I think he has the 190.

Have the tetra700 also and I just use it with carbon, floss, jbl phosEx ultra, and seachem purigen! You could use differint media but that is what I went with. I clean it out every seven days. And the floss going under tap water.
Also have the same skimmer, came with the tank I bought second hand and it's bad I'm sorry to say.

Good luck with your build

More
15 Oct 2012 22:08 #4 by dubdero (derek kearns)
Lads fair play to use a lot of good information there thanks :cheer:

More
15 Oct 2012 22:09 #5 by dubdero (derek kearns)
Yea it's the 190 I have

More
21 Oct 2012 20:21 #6 by dubdero (derek kearns)
Ladies and gentlemen was offered a sun sun wave maker 1200l it's a twin wave maker it's seems a bit powerfully for the 190 litre tank what use think and what size would use recommend ?

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds