Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Upgrading my protein Skimmer

More
19 Feb 2013 11:44 #1 by iknowkungfu (chris)
:whistle:
Hi All Currently run a TMC 120 skimmer in my nano 120 tank running over two years have nitrates less then 5 and also using Red Sea NOPOX which is a great product.
Now my question is I have the room to replace to a bigger skimmer and was looking at the TMC V300 skimmer, thought a bigger skimmer will pull more out of the tank. But looking on the web the v300 has the same motor as the v120 720litres / hour, now by upgrading this will I notice better work or is this just a waste of 130 euros. I only keep lps and softies.
The 120 skimmer pulls alot of stuff out of the tank...dark brown ..so I know its working well.also a do weekly maintance on the tank and thought having a bigger skimmer I cut back on this...or this is false.

Any advise appreciated.

chris.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
19 Feb 2013 18:50 #2 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
I can't comment specifically on those 2 skimmers, but there is more to a skimmer efficiency that pump power.
But do you need any extra efficiency? Plus a skimmer is only really as efficient as the fine-tuning done by the fish keeper.

My first thoughts would be that if the present one is working fine and doing the job, then maybe the money you'd be splashing out on replacing it could be ploughed into something else (even if a back-up external filter).

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
19 Feb 2013 23:01 #3 by iknowkungfu (chris)
thought so I think the only difference between the 2 is the v300 can draw in more water in its chamber then the v120 mmmm. wounder if its worth the outlay, Ill contact TMC is see if it would add any extra
tx

More
20 Feb 2013 00:00 #4 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

thought so I think the only difference between the 2 is the v300 can draw in more water in its chamber then the v120 mmmm. wounder if its worth the outlay, Ill contact TMC is see if it would add any extra
tx

They may fail to mention that an important point is that they will also make some money from your new purchase ;)

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
20 Feb 2013 21:55 #5 by iknowkungfu (chris)
Good point Ian tx, this industry I notice is alway out to make a quick buck, upgrade upgrade ! and thats starting to show more now since the down turn..
tx
:)

I'll keep my hard earned cash or whats left of it!

chris.

More
20 Feb 2013 22:03 #6 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
Chris, if its not broken, don't try and fix it.

More
21 Feb 2013 19:40 #7 by iknowkungfu (chris)
so true! cheers

More
21 Feb 2013 23:39 #8 by Ricky (Ricky Croke)
Nopox has been know to damage fish stocks over time if you are not using redsea a and b by creating phosphate blooms, starving the water of oxygen. This has happened too many times to friends locally who did things by the book. It is highly recommended to over skim if not using a and b. If your skimmer is doing okay with it I wouldn't see any reason to upgrade :)

Time to create page: 0.047 seconds