Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

UV steriliser

More
31 Aug 2013 17:52 #1 by McQuaid (Mark McQuaid)
Hi folks

I was looking today at getting maybe a blue tang for my 55 litre set up, I was then informed I'd need a UV Steriliser, I really didn't want to go down that route as my tank has all its workings hidden in the back of the tank and I'd have to put the uv steriliser out front with my fish and coral, now obviously I didn't want to do that as it would look huge in my tank, now this was the smallest one they sold and was prob too much for my 55litre, anyone any ideas for one that's nice and small that wouldn't look awful or maybe even fit I the back below my powerhead? Or even some other options?

Thanks guys

240 litre mixture of cichlids

55 litre marine tank currently holding a few coral and clean up crew

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2013 21:42 #2 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
There is an internal UV with Powerhead, looks like a Fluval 2 or 3, depending on size.
Aquael also make internal UV's.
Any LFS should be able to source one for you.

More
31 Aug 2013 22:56 - 31 Aug 2013 22:57 #3 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Replied by jeff (Jeff Scully) on topic UV steriliser
No no no do not put a blue tang in a 55ltr. Tank that's like putting a rabbit in a gerbil cage

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.
Last edit: 31 Aug 2013 22:57 by jeff (Jeff Scully).

More
01 Sep 2013 09:41 #4 by McQuaid (Mark McQuaid)
I had intended swapping him out in a year or so, not recommended?

More
01 Sep 2013 12:58 #5 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
It would out grow that tank is less than 6 mts. And you will get your fair share of white spot cause he will be stressed big time

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
01 Sep 2013 17:42 #6 by davey_c (dave clarke)
Replied by davey_c (dave clarke) on topic UV steriliser
As jeff says, your tank is too small, if you wanted a blue tang originally you could have gotten the larger tank kit seahorse do for them but I would agree with what jeff has said.
If you are carefull enough and do it right you don't need a uv for a blue tang (I've been given more than enough info to stand over it) but the odd few will get white spot either way. Just saying be carefull of shops giving false advice for a sale... maybe their claim that you need a uv was based on you being quite fresh to marines which would be a genuine reason I supose. Either way buying a blue tang could have been a more costly impulse buy than you may have anticipated!!

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
02 Sep 2013 08:51 #7 by McQuaid (Mark McQuaid)
Ok, thanks alot for the info, think i'll avoid the tang then, that is until i convert my 240 freshwater to marine!!! as much as i love my cichlid set up, im just loving the variety of style and colour in marine! think i may have been converted :ohmy: :ohmy:

More
03 Sep 2013 20:02 #8 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
The salty side is even more addictive I can see you going down the same route I did I had 5 tanks on the go at one stage and I ended up with one so I could do what I really wanted with it And I tell yea I never looked back at what I got rid of I do miss a few Fish but I just have to look at what I have now and the poor other fish are forgotten about (that's bleedin terrible isn't it) haha

Time to create page: 0.049 seconds