Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

New marine set up

More
01 Sep 2013 21:17 #1 by John100 (John O Brien)
Hi,
I have spent the last year converting my Juwel Rio 300 tank to a marine set up. I started by installing a 120 lt sump in to the cabinet. I then drilled my tank and plumbed the return and drain. This part works perfectly and is silent. I then bought an Eheim Compact 3000 return pump and a Bubble Magus Curve 7 skimmer. From reading the different forums and taking advice from a number of people I believed these were classed as some of the quieter pumps/skimers. When I connected up the return pump and skimmer the noise was way above anything I expected. The noise could be heard all over the house. The folowing is a list of things I have tried to reduce the noise.
1 Put a ruber mat under the return pump and the skimmer
2 Put a piece of carpet under the sump along with the sheet of aeroboard which was already there
3 Put carpet under the tank cabinet to prevent vibration to the tiled floor
4 Put noise proofing all round the internal walls of the cabinet.
5 Put an additional piece of plywood on the back of the cabinet and attached noise proofing to this
6 I left the whole system running for a week or so to see if the noise level would reduce

I am at the stage where I do not sure what to do next.
I am considering going for a smaller quieter return pump (maybe the Sicce Syncra 1.5) and trying to change the skimmer to a smaller or quieter type.

I would really appreciate any advice that anyone can give me

Rgds
John

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2013 21:46 #2 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
Hi John,
Surprised to hear you are having noise problems with the compact+3000 pump.
I have two and they are virtually silent.
If is a vibrating rattle, it could be touching one of the sides of the sump.
You could try larger rubber sucker feet.
Is the return pipe solid or flexi? You could try the pump without plumbing just to
check is it the pump noise or its connection vibrating.
Sometimes if too much back pressure is on any pump, it can become noisy.
If the pump is the cause, I would return it, and get a replacement.
The Syncra or the Tunze Range are worth looking at.
I have not used a Bubble M C7 skimmer, so cannot advise.
I do know that some of the older models have some noise issues, but the newer ones are supposed to have this sorted.
The newer ones have a redesigned needle wheel, and most skimmers now have the newer white finish.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.033 seconds