Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Converting trigon 190 to marine

More
29 Apr 2014 15:43 - 29 Apr 2014 15:44 #1 by Irishgunner (Andrew)
I've come to the decision that I will be changing my African chiclid setup to a marine setup, I'm a total beginner and getting all sorts of different info, I'm gonna go for a FOWLR
I wanna use a sump as to keep most of the equipment out if site!
The questions I have are:
Should I keep using my canister filter?
Would 15kg liverock be enough?
Do I only need a heater protein skimmer live rock and return pump in the sump?, and can all thus be put into one area or does the sump need to be split into 2 sections?
Drilling the tank and doing all the pipe work doesn't bother me(even though I've no clue what way to works)

Any help much appreciated
Thanks
Last edit: 29 Apr 2014 15:44 by Irishgunner (Andrew).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2014 16:35 #2 by swai (Simon)
Look through the forum. I think leo b done the exact thing you are looking to do. Convert a trigon tank to marine with overflow and sump. He had it all detailed on what he was doing with pics.

Anyway welcome to the forum, I am only sort of a newbie myself!

There is great info and help on this site.

Marino, Dublin 9

More
29 Apr 2014 17:05 #3 by Irishgunner (Andrew)
Cheers mate will have a look at that
Thanks

More
29 Apr 2014 17:10 #4 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Another gooner! Fantastic!
Welcome to the site..
Silverware is coming in May...At last!
Good luck with your marine project!

More
29 Apr 2014 17:19 #5 by Irishgunner (Andrew)
Cheers mate, yep hopefully the first of many trophys

More
30 Apr 2014 17:41 #6 by Irishgunner (Andrew)
Well first steps have been taken to get this project going, I've been in touc with someone who is gonna do all the work on my tank to get it ready for the change and all make a custom sump to fit in my cabinet( thanks Leo)
So I'll have to rehome my chiclids first!! I'd put them up here but I don't know any of the names B)

More
30 Apr 2014 18:22 #7 by Leo b (Leo bowes)
That's good to hear pal I hope it all gos well for you and keep us posted wit pics k

More
30 Apr 2014 18:24 #8 by Irishgunner (Andrew)
Will do mate cheers

More
18 May 2014 21:11 - 18 May 2014 21:14 #9 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
15kg would be fine
No need for a external if you have a sump and if no sump the external would be fine alone I ran mine on a 240 with micromec and floss to polish the water
It can be done without a skimmer but wouldn't recommend
Heater
Powerheads /wavemakers a turnover of 10 times per hr is fine but not less
Live sand no more than an inch deep
Decent lights but standard would do for a fowler tank
Good test kit /kits
Clean up crew
And take ur time adding fish
Honestly it's not that hard

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.
Last edit: 18 May 2014 21:14 by jeff (Jeff Scully).

More
18 May 2014 21:21 #10 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
Best of luck with your new endeavor

More
18 May 2014 21:29 #11 by Irishgunner (Andrew)
Cheers lads thanks for the input, I'm winding down my tank at the minute and then will be sending the tank off to get modded looking forward to starting this journey

More
18 May 2014 21:43 #12 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Good man you won't regret it :)

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
16 Aug 2014 14:02 #13 by Irishgunner (Andrew)
Right lad's I've not done anything worth this yet had to pay alot of money out footer Florida holiday and fitted wardrobes :angry: but I wanna shut this tank down so am looking for someone to rehome the fish I have left (3 in total) don't know the names so will put up pics ,this a free to go

More
16 Aug 2014 14:05 #14 by Irishgunner (Andrew)
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds