Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

First tank

More
05 Nov 2014 01:58 #1 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Hey guys, taught i would put a pic up of my first tank. Bought a fluval M90 from seahorse in galway, their first tank sale woohoo lol.

Going to put tangs and clowns in it but so far 15kgs of live rock and 10kgs of live sand and now going to let to cycle.

Any help or tips would be welcome
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
05 Nov 2014 09:39 #2 by SSS (Sion S)
Replied by SSS (Sion S) on topic First tank
Nice aquascaping B)

More
05 Nov 2014 10:16 #3 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Replied by Sukahn (Shane Doorley) on topic First tank
Thanks SSS, my other half done the aquascaping on the tank and I really do think she done a good job. Waiting on the guys to get a little more love rock as she wants to add ouch a little more to finish the look off that she's going for.

More
05 Nov 2014 10:47 #4 by Ski (Alan McGee)
Replied by Ski (Alan McGee) on topic First tank
Nice looking tank Shane, good luck with it

More
05 Nov 2014 20:29 #5 by Kmd (Keith mc donagh)
Replied by Kmd (Keith mc donagh) on topic First tank
Looks good Shane. Are you goin for fish only, fish and corals?

More
06 Nov 2014 15:33 #6 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Hey kmd, it's going to be a coral and fish tank. Don't really know what coral I'm going to get yet. They have one of these tanks setup in Seahorse Galway with fish and choral and it looks great so going to be getting help from Charles there to find out what to do next.

More
06 Nov 2014 21:28 #7 by Kmd (Keith mc donagh)
Yes I've seen it, it's starting to come along. There good lads working there so you will have no problems. I'll see you in there some time I'm sure. Any idea about what fish you want to keep? It's better to start thinking early.

More
06 Nov 2014 23:25 #8 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Well I've put a deposit on the percula clowns pair they have in the store and then thinking of a few tangs as the other half loves the yellow tang, bubbles from nemo lol.

I'm in there most days as is only a 5 min walk from my house so i probably will see you there at some stage. Always in a Friday as they usually get deliveries on Thursdays.

As im a complete beginner I'm taking the next few weeks as the tank is cycling to fully decide on what to add in. Also thinking of getting the m60 model as well to make the wall the tank is on look like it's the full length of the alcove. Both will fit with 3 cms to spare lol. Will put the percula clowns in the smaller tank on their own

I'm having a problem with the skimmer tho, it seems to be quite loud and the bottom of it doesn't seam to be connected properly and fluval say is supposed to be quite running so have to email them.

More
07 Nov 2014 08:55 #9 by SSS (Sion S)
Replied by SSS (Sion S) on topic First tank
Usually a skimmer takes some time to "settle" and can be noisy at first. My one was so annoying in the beginning and stayed loud for a few weeks then one day I realised it was quiet and I have no idea when it stopped or if it was sudden or gradual. But anyway, give it a few weeks and hopefully it'll quiet down.

More
07 Nov 2014 20:56 #10 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Ya i have heard that about skimmers. Most people I've read reviews about the tank have said they eventually changed it.

More
07 Nov 2014 21:00 #11 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Update on cycle,

had one of the dwarf shrimp (that i put in for my misses to have something I n the tank) have a fight with a red worm that appeared last night. In work now and she had said there are more worms in the tank. I'll post a pic later to to get help to identify what they are.

More
07 Nov 2014 22:28 #12 by Kmd (Keith mc donagh)
Yep take your time at the start, it will be worth it in the end.

The tank is a bit small for tangs, and they are not great beginner fish. I was tempted to get a small regal tang(dory), a while ago but I would have to get rid of it in a couple of months, so I left her.

But there are lots of very nice fish that will be ok.

More
08 Nov 2014 21:25 #13 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Yea went down to Seahorse Galway today since i heard they got alot of new stock in and, yes they had lol.

Looking at a few different types of fish but still haven't made up my mind. Talking through it with Charles as he has set one up in the shop and its thriving in there. He cant believe it. If you have been in there recently he only put water into that tank 4 weeks ago and its doing really well.

I have put a deposit down on perculas and was thinking of getting a fire angel as they look lovely, will have to do some research on some of the fish im thinking of getting. Charles was trying to get me to buy coral today, cant remember which one as he said it would help with cycle but i think ill wait and keep it to just cleaning crew for a month or so.

From the pics of my tank he thinks that it has cycled really well and i bought 3 turbo snails for the tank. They are asleep now after alot of munching today hehe.

I also have seen a very small, well to me looks like a coral polyp starting to grow and feed lol. cant really get a pic of it in the tank as its in a really awkward spot to photograph, and i have a Canon 5d mII with a macro lens lol.

This is what the tank is looking like now
Attachments:

More
09 Nov 2014 19:54 #14 by Kmd (Keith mc donagh)
I was there today to look at the new order, the Solaris wrasse cought my eye, but I think I have to hold back as I have a pretty full tank. But it's a stunning fish and not that expensive .

Sry to say but SOME of the flame angels can nip at corals, but not all do.

Ya there is no harm in leaving the tank another little while. To cycle. It's looking good B)

More
09 Nov 2014 21:30 #15 by carlowchris (chris)
Replied by carlowchris (chris) on topic First tank
Very nice...lovely rock work

flame angels can be a difficult fish as some people have had great succuss with them andthen got another one only to have it die for no reason...i have heard though seahorse got some tank raised ones that people have had success with..

More
10 Nov 2014 01:58 #16 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)

I was there today to look at new order, the Solaris wrasse cought my eye, but I think I have to hold back as I have a pretty full tank. But it's a stunning fish and not that expensive .

Sry to say but SOME of the flame angels can nip at corals, but not all do.

Ya there is no harm in leaving the tank another little while. To cycle. It's looking good B)

went into today and Charles showed it to me first thing lol.

Was really happy with the way the tank was so have put in a fire shrimp and 4 teg legged hermits today and they seam to be living the tank, loads to eat lol

Charles also convinced me to put in my first coal frag, Pom Pom Xenia, into the tank.

waiting now till the end of the month before i put in any fish as the first things going in are the pair of perculas.

More
10 Nov 2014 04:52 #17 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)

Very nice...lovely rock work

flame angels can be a difficult fish as some people have had great succuss with them andthen got another one only to have it die for no reason...i have heard though seahorse got some tank raised ones that people have had success with..

ya Charles has said that the ones they have now are easier to have but they could take some chunks out of corals.

More
13 Nov 2014 01:51 #18 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Hey everyone.

Tank is up and running 10 days so decided to do a water test and everything is looking good.

Salinity 1.026
ph 8.2
alk 9
Nitrite 0
nitrate 5
ammonia 0

cleaning crew so far are half way through cleaning the rock and have had a few small snails hatch today which was pretty cool to see in there. Will they last in this type of tank since its got the sump in the rest compartment?

More
13 Nov 2014 01:56 #19 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
And here is a pic to show what is looking like now

The pom pom Xenia is doing really well and had doubled in size in the last 3 days left side of tank.
Attachments:

More
13 Nov 2014 20:16 #20 by Kmd (Keith mc donagh)
Looks good. If I can suggest one thing. The Pom Pom will grow fast and take over your rock work. If you don't want this then put it on a rock with sand all around it so it can't spread. But that is your own choice.

More
14 Nov 2014 08:47 #21 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Thanks for that kmd. Hopefully I'll be able to move it when i get back as im away for a few days. I had to putit on the largest rock didn't i lol.

More
19 Nov 2014 01:58 #22 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Quick tank update,

had a rock fall on Sunday after coming back from a few days away so now after rebuilding my whole left side of the aqua scaping I've created a new arch with alot more glue lol.

Everything else to its going good, will post a pic when i get a chance during the week of the new aqua scaping. It's created more room on the sand for future purchases lol.

More
23 Nov 2014 09:05 #23 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Well I'm finally updating tank details,

all water tests are still holding the same and everything seams happy in tank, found a large worm asked for I'd in another thread. My hermits are molting too. My large one is getting huge :)

I've also added pics of the current residents.

Let me know what you all think

items in tank, Pom Pom Xenia, star polyp, hammer, polyp, fungia

fire shrimp, 3 turbos, 4 red legged hermits.

More
23 Nov 2014 09:30 #24 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
Looks really good love the setup and your scape

Something fishie going on here

More
13 Dec 2014 23:40 #25 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Hey everyone, taught it was about time to update on what's going on in the tank.

All water parameters are looking good so far, got my percula clowns in the tank 2 weeks ago but they are still not settled, staying at the top of the tank but started wandering abit now today.

Fragged my first coral as well last week the pom pom xenia moved onto a small rock i placed beside it. My zoo polyps are ready to frag and get ready for placement in the tank. Fragging pom pom again for a mate onto a small plate so will hopefully have that ready next week.

Changed the aqua scaping a little since the last post on the tank as seen from picture one.

Picture two shows the next step, tank two lol. It's the smaller m60 fluval tank and goes quite well with the m90 see pic 3.

Let me know what ye think.
Attachments:

More
02 Mar 2015 20:13 #26 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Replied by jeff (Jeff Scully) on topic First tank
hey hows it going just wondering how the tanks are doing, any updates :whistle:

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
05 Mar 2015 01:02 #27 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Hey Jeff.

Im sorry I havent posting anything else about the tanks in awhile. Been busy with work and my little one is using all the rest of my time lol.

Both tanks are going great. Large M90 tank is full of different things now. Off the top of my head, 2 Cardinals (male and female), 2 mandirins (male and female), 4 blue green chromis, 1 yellow tang (small) and usual clean up crew but have lost some.

Coral wise in the tank there are 2 birds nests, a purple acra, metallic start polyps, green star polyps, green mushrooms, red mushrroms, blue mushrooms, some kind of red zoa that i need to check name of, and a pink monti. Ohh and my latest arrival of a large frogspawn.

I will post a pic or two of the tank when i get out to my tablet, currently sitting in work lol.

Water para's are going great now going about 10-12 nit and everything else staying down. Keeping water changes to every week/9 days and they still stay stable.

Tank two is the small M60 - water params are great better than the M90.

Fish wise there is only 2 Percula clowns in the tank with a 6 line wrasse due to a slight outbreak of flatworm from a coral tank that will remain nameless :P Regular clean up crew also

Coral wise in this tank there is a small hammer and a collection of different zoas, 2 different green, yellow, 2 different reds. Alos my pom pom xenia is in this tank and growing well. Been fragged and given to borther in law as well for his tank and currently about 20 stalks form the 4 i originally bought a few months ago lol.

Will post pics as well during the night or the morning.

More
05 Mar 2015 11:13 #28 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
Replied by ceech (Desmond Gaynor) on topic First tank
Really nice looking tanks :-) lloking forward to seeing some more pictures :-)
How are your Mandrins doing i would have though your tank would have been to small for 2 of them ?
Do you feed them copepods are do they eat frozen foods ? Would love to see a few snaps of all your fish and corals if you got a chance :-)

More
06 Mar 2015 09:00 #29 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Hey ceech,

the female mandarin is doing great in the tank, male is a little on the skinny side but both eat frozen mysis and brine. Took a few days to train them into eating it but they are. I also put a pack a week of copepods into the tank but the cardinals now seam to eat most before they settle in the tank.

The m90 fluval they are in has 22ish kgs of rock in it now and alfa grog in the sump for the copepods to breed in and there always seams to be some in the tank.

I work nights so i haven't had the time to take new pics of the tank but will over the next few days but here are some taken in the last 2 weeks or so.

More
06 Mar 2015 09:06 #30 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Pics
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds