Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

First tank

More
24 Mar 2016 00:51 #91 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Replied by Sukahn (Shane Doorley) on topic First tank
I just didnt have time to put it up. Plus while im in work i cant see Photobucket pics as its blocked so couldnt see what others were doing lol.

I have a professional digital camera so i can take some cracking shots if i had time lol but i work nights so i mainly dont get time to take photos during the day lol

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2016 01:00 #92 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Replied by jeff (Jeff Scully) on topic First tank
Working nights deserves a winner medal on it's own, I do have to do it from time to time with some customers, it's not easy by any means

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
24 Mar 2016 01:05 #93 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
I've done it now for nearly two years lol. For myself a better job in the company I work for so I don't really mind plus night shift allowance really helps lol.

More
24 Mar 2016 23:22 #94 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Tomorrow is the big day woohoo :)

Going to be planning aquascaping, wiring and doing a water test this weekend as long as everything is good, tank will be cycling by the end of the weekend :)

Re wired my lights today so will have 6 T5 54w bulbs running but i do have an offer of upgrading them to 8x t5 80w but ill have to have a think about it.

Other than that, I CANT WAIT FOR THIS WEEKEND woohoo lol. And its a long weekend, even better.

More
25 Mar 2016 07:47 #95 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Replied by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez) on topic First tank
Well man you know what to do... send us pictures!!!! :)

Best of luck, my advice, take things slowly, better safe than sorry! ;)

More
25 Mar 2016 11:34 #96 by Lakes1985 (David Ward)
Replied by Lakes1985 (David Ward) on topic First tank
Following this, can't wait to see pics.

More
26 Mar 2016 21:58 #97 by carlowchris (chris)
Replied by carlowchris (chris) on topic First tank
Wow 8 x 80 watt t5's.....the esb is going to love you . :kiss:

More
26 Mar 2016 22:06 #98 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Yeah... so whats going on? no pictures???

Someone is busy haha

Have you consider LEDs? What are you thinking of growing exactly?

They would be expensive for a tank your size though so I see why you are probably going for t5s, LEDs are a major investment.

More
26 Mar 2016 22:08 - 26 Mar 2016 22:36 #99 by galwaylad (paul byrne)
Replied by galwaylad (paul byrne) on topic First tank
He still waiting on bits off the lfs to finish the plumbing on it how's the Doser going carlowchris
Last edit: 26 Mar 2016 22:36 by galwaylad (paul byrne).

More
26 Mar 2016 22:22 #100 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Ah thats a shame. I still have a spare 25 mm union if thats all you are needing! not sure is worth coming all the way from galway for it though

More
26 Mar 2016 22:29 #101 by galwaylad (paul byrne)
Replied by galwaylad (paul byrne) on topic First tank
He ordered the parts ages ago I told him what he needed before I even sold the tank to him and the lfs just keeps letting him down he is hoping to try get the bits elsewhere during the week

More
30 Mar 2016 07:02 #102 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Sorry guys I'll have pics hopefully tonight, parts are due in today.

Kids and misses keeping me busy lol with family stuff as well, still deciding on what rock setup in going to use. Don't really like the look of a wall setup.

Thanks Paul for keeping everyone up to date.

I'm going to try and do a sps and lps tank but some softies I have may go on not sure yet. Leds will be an upgrade in a couple of months I think.

Chris the esb already loves me lol. This is the third tank, plus all the other crap in my house lol.

Small tank might be taken down this weekend so if anyone wants free pom pom zenia let me know.

More
30 Mar 2016 23:33 #103 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
More news today.

F***ing LFS, sent the wrong sleeves , sent 3/4 inch instead of 1 inch. I sleep in the evening as i work nights and had 2 missed calls from LFS saying dublin will overnight them to me but they were closed by the time i got up at 6.30. going to try local plumbing store tomorrow and go to LFS and give out stink to them. Really really annoyed now at this stage.

But there is good news, my misses parents are taking my oldest (2.5 year old) for a week starting friday so planning on getting it done this weekend and fill. Will still have our 9 week old but my misses said, "AT least i can come in and watch you do it and keep you company" lol, what no help when shes asleep lol.

Anyways, im looking forward to letting you all see my room during the weekend and see how fish crazy ive gotten in the year and a half lol.

More
31 Mar 2016 17:53 #104 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Hey man

So sorry to hear that.

I dont think you will be able to find american fitting/piping in Ireland suited for this purpose. Some of the PVC out there has the american - imperial measures but the PVC is meant for waste lines and I heard they are not good for aquarium use.

You have another option, coral culture uk sells imperial to metric adaptors, they deliver to ireland but after placing the order you will need to contact Nick for a quote. Delivery is decent enough (around 3-4 days even less).

link

The converters are not cheap though but they are hard enough to find.

I bought most of my weird stuff from him and he is excellent. There is another shop somewhere in newbridge that probably sells them but I will have to check with Bart (that's where I bought the rest of my piping stuff)

Probably shouldnt say but my wife is in america, I could always ask here to pop into a hardware store and get you what yo uneed but there is no guarantee that she will be able to do it, I already asked her to bring me some stuff (plumbing bits as well) so she might run out of patience. She will be back on tuesday.

More
31 Mar 2016 22:22 #105 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Thanks for the offer man, the LFS tried again and sent me 3/4 inch adaptors again, im due another delivery again tomorrow which will hopefully be the 1 inch ones i need.

I wouldnt put your wife through getting something for me, you probably already have a list of stuff for her to bring back lol.

If i cant get it sorted tomorrow i found a 3/4 to 25 mm adaptor in a local hardware place in Galway, at only 6 euro a fitting with a wrench i should be able to make it sercure, well and glue too to make sure it stays. thats my last resort to try and get the tank up and running this weekend.

Time to create page: 0.067 seconds