Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

gyre generator

More
22 Oct 2015 20:43 #1 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Anyone used one instead of traditional wave makers?
Looking for experienced opinions please

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
23 Oct 2015 09:48 #2 by carlowchris (chris)
Replied by carlowchris (chris) on topic gyre generator
What's that place in Galway that's agents for the gyre????

Maybe they have a Facebook page....with a few customers reviews.

More
27 Oct 2015 00:31 #3 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
I'll be getting one soon after all the reviews and so on
Yes they are Hellishly expensive
But they are getting superb reviews

More
28 Oct 2015 22:22 #4 by carlowchris (chris)
read those reviews too.....seriously great bit of kit

More
06 Nov 2015 09:37 #5 by Kmd (Keith mc donagh)
Hi, that place in galway is now closed down :( . I don't know if anywhere else sells them, in ireland.
I did get to see one working,it looked very impressive. As for the cost of them, you would have to buy a lot of power heads and controllers to get the same amount of water movement.

More
08 Nov 2015 01:26 #6 by galwaylad (paul byrne)
Jebao have just announced there gyre to be released and probably half the price of maxspect would be worth a try and it is identical looking and flow rates to the maxspect to only time will tell but be cheaper option to try

More
08 Nov 2015 15:25 #7 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Where did u a read about the jaebo version?
Definitely might have a look at it!!!

More
08 Nov 2015 15:44 #8 by galwaylad (paul byrne)
Go on to fish street Facebook page and they have pictures of it at the show in China two days ago I also contacted them about pre ordering and they confirmed will be on sale soon to

More
08 Nov 2015 15:48 #9 by galwaylad (paul byrne)
See lol
Attachments:

More
08 Nov 2015 19:20 #10 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Went looking but got distracted and bought a few other bits haha
Have to look again later instead

More
08 Nov 2015 19:23 #11 by galwaylad (paul byrne)
Lol great site I ordered ultralife red slime remover battling cyano at the min the stuff is deadly cyano completely gone in 48 hours also probibio bio digest very very cheap off them

More
08 Nov 2015 19:53 #12 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
www.pnwmas.org/topic/35922-jebao-gyre-jyre-gyro/

Read thru here and read a few more threads
Looks good to me! I might hold off and see how they work out....
Jeboa have a tendency to last only 12 or 15 months then seem to die off

More
27 Feb 2016 19:52 #13 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Replied by jeff (Jeff Scully) on topic gyre generator
Has anyone got one of these yet

I'm tempted but have a funny feeling my lps will be all blowing to one side

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
27 Feb 2016 20:21 #14 by carlowchris (chris)
Got one on order........don't really understand them and half thinking I should of ordered two but it's going to be sometime in March before it arrives....so I'll keep ya posted.

More
28 Feb 2016 20:50 #15 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Good man chris look forward to hearing what it's really like especially with lps

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
29 Feb 2016 12:29 - 29 Feb 2016 12:49 #16 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
I got two, well 1 gyre and 1 jebao pending arrival next month.

The gyre is excellent! I have been experimenting with it on my new tank (empty at the moment) and it is perfectly capable of moving water on a 6ft tank at 40-50% of the power if placed on a horizontal position. At 40-50% it makes literally no noise whatsoever hence another reason why I am using two!

However, I am placing them vertically on the back, this is so I can hide it from view and to ensure I dont have deadspots on the back of the aquarium. I am getting my rocks hand built and the guys I am buying them from can create rock work and hide the powerhead in it so I will be placing 2 of them one on each side in a similar position as below.

I was concerned on how much water they can move and how much water agitation the can create if placed vertically (I knew they could create a lot of water agitation if placed horizontally) so I decided to fill the tank up with tap water and test it.

See below

At 40% it creates quite a bit of water movement as I can see my temp probe move quite a bit on the other side of the tank, also, I have no dead spots on the surface on approx 50-60% of the tank, the rest of the surface just gets a gentle blow. See how there are no bubbles on the bottom of the tank on around 60% of the surface.

File Attachment:

In general it seems that the flow is more gentle and not directional allowing you to put corals almost right in front of the pump!

At 100% the water flow is quite high and surface agitation is excellent

File Attachment:

But I suspect it would blow too much sand, however, I know for some sand at the bottom will not be a problem ;)

Unfortunately I cannot tell you how LPS or softies will do because I have nothing on that tank, however, from other peoples experience it seems that the flow is quite gentle, but all over the aquarium, which sounds perfect to me, I will keep you posted. Tank should be running with some LPS in it by mid next month hopefully!
Last edit: 29 Feb 2016 12:49 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez).

More
29 Feb 2016 23:45 #17 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Thanks Alex it definitely sounds good and looks good but like u said and I think it can really only be seen to be believed when the likes of lps are scattered around the hole tank
Ur elegance will be the main test, don't want to piss the cracker off, if u can place that anywhere the pumps are a 100% winner
Be very interesting to see and hear how it fairs out
I really am on the dark side about these so looking forward to hearing from chris and yourself with the end result
Cheers bud, very nice tank by the way

More
02 Mar 2016 09:10 #18 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
I am pretty sure it will be fine, I have been watching the flow patterns on my (empty) tank and it doesnt seem to be very strong, it just moves a lot of water everywhere in the tank.

I can see this by looking at the particles floating inside the tank. Even when the cross right in front of the tank they are not blown away in the same way they would if it was a similar flow powerhead such as tunze etc.

I have also seen videos of people using this powerhead with a combination of softies/LPS and SPS and none of them seem to suffer from excessive flow/current

Anyway it shouldn't be long until I have mine ready!

More
02 Mar 2016 14:53 #19 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Cool thanks Alex they sound great

More
07 Sep 2016 09:30 #20 by Mc Paul (Paul)
Replied by Mc Paul (Paul) on topic gyre generator
Hi,
Any feedback after that term of Gyre use ?
How is the water movement with rocks?
Thanks.

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds