Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Seneye

More
31 Oct 2015 23:10 #1 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Looking at different things the last few days.....
Lots of free internet time whilst not sleeping properly if truth be told!!!!!!

Anyway do many on here use a seneye or is there a better system for monitoring the tank parameters properly?
I dont often like the ambiguious nature of some test kits where a different light may offer a slightly different shade thus completely altering the results given!!!!

please give me views on the seneye or an alternative system if you know of one

Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
31 Dec 2015 20:39 #2 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Replied by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez) on topic Seneye
I wanna give you advice... but I am afraid you are not gonna like what i have to say about it, so I will be brief

Its ok, does it job, cannot be trusted 100% but once you learn when to trust the readings is ok.

It is only 100 euro so you are not really throwing your money away, unfortunately, afaik there is nothing else out there.

I stopped using mine and it is sitting somewhere covered in algae. The main reason was that I was constantly getting wrong readings, and it will freeze/stop working while I was on holidays/away which freak me out a lot... nothing worse than thinking your tank is crashing while you are away on holidays thousands of km away.

Might use it again when I am cycling my new tank, just because I have a spare slide, then I will get rid of it. The only thing that it was accurate was the temperature, everything else isn't. Light sensor is cool but I can say how accurate is.

I posted something about this system a while back, if you dont want to buy it a recommend you read it... otherwise dont

Support is terrible.

Main problem as I said, is that there is nothing similar out there, hence why they can afford having such bad support and average product. Hopefully we will see more of this soon who can compete with it, until then this is it!

More
31 Dec 2015 21:54 #3 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Replied by hammie (Neil Hammerton) on topic Seneye
Appreciate the honest review
Same information more or less as I got from various others who used it!

I decided to let it off and not bother with it for now! Too much expense for absolutely no gain really

More
04 Jan 2016 01:16 #4 by carlowchris (chris)
Replied by carlowchris (chris) on topic Seneye
I remember reading Alex's review about this before and thought it was a waste of money to buy one but brs's 52 weeks on YouTube does give a positive review ...don't know if cause they sell them?

More
04 Jan 2016 06:54 - 04 Jan 2016 06:54 #5 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
I suppose that's because the concept is great, I mean, a system that allows you to monitor your aquarium water parameters sounds really good, and for the most part it does it, however, it is an unfinished product IMO. Also, I am sure there are people out there who are very happy with their product, maybe mine was faulty? I dont think so but it could be

Those variations between slides and the fact that they just wouldnt admit it really pissed me off.

It was also driving me crazy as I kept thinking my aquarium was crashing. Imagine seeing this while you where abroad and without the possibility of running a test to verify if what the seneye was reporting was true or not (which never was).

In the end I decided I was better off not using it as it really wasnt helping, between the wrong readings and the thing freezing all the time while I was away I just though it wasnt worth it, it was always freaking me out for nothing (like no water in the aquarium etc).

I was able to bypass the freezing problem by forcing the computer (which I had to have on all the time) to reboot twice a day but couldnt find a workaround for the other issues
Last edit: 04 Jan 2016 06:54 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez).

More
04 Jan 2016 12:01 #6 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Replied by hammie (Neil Hammerton) on topic Seneye
In theory it's a wonderful idea! Unfortunately it seems the software is thrown together and full of bugs and issues! This would cause the issues you described plus the slides are built on the cheap and there fore are no more accurate than the dip stick test kits
Which is a real shame!!!!!

More
04 Jan 2016 12:42 - 04 Jan 2016 12:59 #7 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
yeah it does feel like that.

Reading where so different between slides. Before the change I would see 0.001 and after the change will jump to 0.1, then slowly go down to 0.05, on the next change it will go down to 0.08, only to go up again on the next slide change... very annoying. Tried to bring this to their attention and in the end they kept blaming it on the computer, the oxigen etc.

This would happen too often so I gave up... I also hated that they kept blaming me or my side for everything... they just wouldnt admit that their product could read such variations between slides, is like if I had insulted their mothers or something... got a bit nasty in the end, specially after they saw my post here

Btw, although there is nothing similar out there, if you want to spend money Hanna sells what they call the Aquaculture Kit... not cheap but best way to get reliable information.

Link

It costs around 600 euro I believe... maybe one day :)
Last edit: 04 Jan 2016 12:59 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez).

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds